Nicole Kidman Wasn't Married to Tom Cruise...

6/26/2006 7:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Kidmanat least according to the Catholic Church in Australia.

Many around the world were scratching their heads this past weekend, trying to figure out exactly how Kidman was able to get married as a Catholic in a Catholic ceremony, as the Church does not allow for a second marriage (in the Church) after a divorce. Many assumed that Kidman had gotten her marriage to Tom Cruise annulled, which would technically have paved the way for a second marriage in the Church.

Well, not so fast. Kidman's marriage to Cruise lasted 10 years -- a little long to plead temporary insanity -- and considering how notoriously difficult it is to have the Church grant an annulment (they're not handing them out like communion wafers), Kidman may have figured out how to get around the requirement -- she reportedly didn't need an annulment at all.

The BBC is reporting that Kidman's 10-year union to Cruise wasn't recognized by the Catholic Church of Australia. The service was seen only as a legal ceremony and not a spiritual one. In other words, according to the Catholic Church anyway, it never happened. All Kidman had to prove was that it was dissolved legally and she was free to marry any country crooner she wanted. A loophole to be sure, but one that allowed Kidman to reconnect her Catholic faith with Keith Urban, the man she loves.

Related photo galleries:
Nicole Kidman
Tom Cruise
Keith Urban
Kidman / Urban Wedding
Tom and Nicole

kblansit

Why should people care so much what celebs do. Why do yall waste your time. Stay in Canada if you marrage is legal. Gay's should not be able to legally get married! God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve! You cant use your gay card in this discussion, we are talking about a union b/w a man and woman not a man and man. Get over your gay issues

jeanette

To answer the reason for the split between Tom & Nicole...
I read in People, if I remember correctly, in a small article that Nicole had gotten pregnant around the time of making her movie "Moulon Rouge" (Hope I spelled that right) & then had a miscarriage & Tom said no way it could be his because he cannot have children (hence the reason they adopted) Nicole insisted it was his. He filed for divorce. So now I am asking if he can not have children then WHO is the Father of Suri????

Bruce A. Jost

I always thought that she might have had an affair with Ewan MacGregor while they were filming Moulin Rouge. I read something in Entertainment Weekly about how close they were during the shoot that intimated it was way more than a friendship.

Madaketgal

Where does everybody get there information about the Catholic Church? Folks, If you are willing to pay, the Church will do anything. I should know; after 20 years of marriage and 4 children, my father had his marriage to my mother annulled.

Oh, yeah, and after my aunt committed suicide (a big Catholic no-no) the bishop presided over her funeral because she gave a lot of money to the Church.

sue

If you have seen any "recent" pictures of Nicole, she sure looks to me like she is "showing" with child. Only time will tell.

Chris

First of all....Let's just talk about a few things here:
1. It's nobodies business what anyone else does, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and is not illegal. Plus, Nicole has set a good example for many by her choices and family planning decisions.
2. Religion is up to the person who beleives in it. We have freedom of religion, to choose which type and how to put it in our lives so we get meaning out of it. Not to be issues for the public or politics. Or told that one religion is right and all others are wrong, no matter which it may be. If the Catholic church doesn't recognize her first marriage, then so be it. Who's to say they're wrong?
3. Who cares what Nicole's ex is doing, it's her ex! Plus, maybe if everyone left him alone, he wouldn't wig-out so bad and act the way he does.
4. Who care's about anyone's past, what they did or who they did is not of any concern in the NOW. As long as people are happy with their choices and can live with them, that's all that matters. So, get off it and MYOB! (and BYT, the Papparazzi needs to be shut down, give people their privacy for Heaven's sake!)
5. Everyone ahs the right to love who they want, how they want, when they want. Same sex marriage is not a bad thing or a sin or immoral; it is 2 people sharing love, sacrificing for the other, having families, sharing expenses and caring. What's wrong with that? Since when is love wrong? If every bible-thumping prude would mind their own business, tend to their own problems(which they have, but don't see due to being in everyone else's business) maybe things would be more accepted, people wouldn't be afraid of what they don't know because gays & lesbians wouldn't have to hide their emotions & feelings in public, and people would see that they are just like everyone else. And to say that GOD Himself condemned gays & gay marriage......well I would like to know where & when. I have read the Bible and haven't found the passage or verse yet.
6. God made everyone in His own eyes; that means black, white, tan, all races, all religions, all sexes, all disabled, all sickly, all dying, all living, all good & all evil. If this is true and we are of His image, then we are not in the wrong, no matter what. Don't let a bunch of men in "robes" (or dresses, as I see it) tell us what is right or wrong. Believe in what you know to be right. Don't be a judge of anyone & don't be judged by anyone. Mind your own business and stay out of everyone else's. Then maybe we can all just get along in this thing we call life.
7. Well, that's all I have to say for now, just think about these things.....let people be themselves, love who they want and live how they please. It might not be the same things for everyone, but that's what we call FREEDOM. If we take away a persons right to live, laugh & love.....we take away thier freedom; then why bother living. Be kind to your neighbors and strangers, you never know who you might run into or when you might need some kindness.
Be happy, healthy and loved......

Jill

Congrats to Nicole.
Poor Kate, I wonder how much Tom paid her to pretend that baby is his? Isn't he barren (carrying an unloaded gun)?

k

Tom susposedly divorced her, because she was pregnant, and he says it wasn't his. He claims she cheated on him.. Good luck to her and Keith. I agree with everyone else, Tom Cruise is a beep...... and katie isn't very bright either.

scott andrews

this begs the question of what defines a marriage. remove the word marriage from the gay debate, substituting civil union, thereby giving the same rights most people take for granted.

nicole was pregnant, got an abortion because of an affair during the filming of moulin rouge, and then claimed she's miscarried.

Shana

What I've heard about the 'she knows why' issue is that she got pregnant, and Tom, who is reportedly sterile, knew the baby couldn't be his. Which begs the question about Katie Holmes' pregnancy...

HEIDI E-CLARK

Congrats to Nicole & Keith! They do seem like a great couple.
I wish them the best. And whether or not she was married/ not married/ WHATEVER! If it makes her happy and she could have the marriage she wanted GREAT! Hey I have an ex husband I wish I could claim that of...lol I think the media really fixates on weird parts of happy occasions.

And to whomever made the comment of Tom keeping company with Pitt .... kudos... those 2 make me sick!

Donna

Ok... here's what I remember about Tom's comment as to why he was divorcing Nicole.... He said "Nic knows why". As I recall, it was almost a given that everyone in Hollywood knew/suspected/understood that Tom was infertile..in other words..he shot blanks. While infertlity is not the only reason for adopting, it made sense (given Tom's "blanks") that their children were adopted. So with the news of Nicole's baby-on-way, and no other explanation from Tom, everyone assumed he was accusing her of infidelity, hence the divorce. So, fast forward to Tom-meets-Katie, loses his mind (assuming he ever had one) and suddenly Katie is pregnant. Huh? Which makes one wonder, who fathered Suri (which by the way, is the Japanese word for "pickpocket";) and if Tom did, then perhaps Nicole was pregnant with his child? who knows. Anyway.. Nicole doesn't/never did need him to be a success. He's a nutjob and while I know nothing about Katie (excuse me, KATE) Holmes, I just want to say "Run Katie Run". I wish Nicole and her new husband happiness. She's a talented, classy lady and deserved much better than Tom "Napoleon" Cruise. As for Katie... I just hope she wakes up soon from her Scientology-induced coma and gets her child and herself away from that seriously disturbed man who needs some major psychiatric help. Oh wait.. I forgot... he's the foremost authority on psychiatry, too.
Hmmm.....

Steved in Vancouver, USA

Actually, the Catholic church does hand out annulments like communion wafers. My brother (Catholic) was divorced and wanted to marry a divorced Catholic woman. Both had been married in the church and between them had over 60 years of marriage and seven children.

Not a problem for the Catholic church. Fill out some papers, whine about how bad your life has been, making a donation (at least 4 figures, please) and, voila, your marriages are annulled.

And the Catholic church has the gall to talk about the "sanctity of marriage." What a joke..

kathy sonary

With all this controversy about "annulment"--anyone remember that Ted Kennedy, after how many children and over 20 some years of "wedded bliss' ??? had HIS marriage ANNULLED? Try explaining that one....before you complain about 10 yrs of Nicole's wedding w/ Cruise ....you don't think money and politics work behind the scenes?????

Karen

Good for Nicole,,,,,,,Tom Cruise is a loser and his morals are appauling. Why Nicole lets him subject their children to his living status is confusing to me....He flaunts his affair with Katie like Nicole was a piece of garbage,,,shame on Tom.....Nicole has conducted herself like a lady!