Will Taylor Hicks Bite the Hand That Fed Him?

6/28/2006 11:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Grumblings are already reportedly coming from Taylor Hicks' camp about his first single "Do I Make You Proud."  It was painfully obvious right away how bad the song is, which is of course not a reflection on Hicks since he didn't write it. Now, it seems Hicks may agree.

Hicks' former producer Will Smith of Baldwin Entertainment in Nashville tells In Touch Weekly magazine that Taylor wanted to release a song he wrote called "the Fall" instead of the tune written for him. Says Smith, "He wants to be known as a songwriter, not a karaoke singer."

Of course, he just won the biggest karaoke contest on the planet so it might take a little time to shed the image.  But, Kelly Clarkson pulled it off and successfully distanced herself from Idol. Given Hicks' years of pushing his own songs prior to the contest, don't be surprised if Taylor goes the same route.   Since Clarkson is by far the biggest success to come out of the show, it would make sense for him to follow her path.

COMMENTS

T. Anderson

It is hard to believe that the producers of "Do I make you proud" were blinded by their own arrogance in thinking that song was fitting for a soulfull Hicks. I can't wait until Hicks can get away from them. Upon completing that track I'm sure they smiled at each other upon listening to it and thought "that is our song!", while Taylor was thinking "What the heck was that?!"

carol

I have his CD, and honestly, I dont think he is a good songwriter. The Fall is not memorable.

Everyone wants to write their own songs. Everyone tries, but few can write great music. Just my opinion.

Katie

I cannot believe that Taylor would say that. He is really too much of a gentleman. I do not believe that he raise any controversy now or at any time. The song,"Do I Make You Proud" is beautiful and anyone listening to it should be "Proud" that Taylor sang it. It fits him after his win on Amrican Idol. He will have plenty of time to publish and sing his own songs.

Sandra

Taylor is a smart business man,he would never do or say any thing to damage his career--all the worms are coming out of the wood work now starting in Tennessee. Would be a good idea not to believe all the press Taylor is getting unless it's a direct quote from his mouth,If Taylor had not liked DIMYP he would never have called his Grandmother before he performed it on the final show and dedicated it to her.To him it was a question he was asking his family after all the years of struggling to get his voice heard.And from the Soul Patrol "yes Taylor you do indeed make us proud". God Bless.

sharon l taylor

I feel in love with "Do I Make You Proud?" It inspired me to call all my children to tell them how proud I am of them. So please don't put this song down in any way.
I don't remember my parents ever saying they were proud of me---even though I owned my own business for 30 years. this song needs to be number 1.

CW

The song sucks and absolutely does not accentuate his primary vocal style or image of blues or soul .... duh, did it sound like a 'soul patrol' song? I was embarassed for him. I congratulate him if he did speak up about the ghastly song ... if he is to end up like K Clarkson, and maximize the return for those investing in him, song choice is a critical factor. Ultimately, he's the master of his own career by the choices he makes.

tammy

Taylor don't you fear!!!!!!!!!....you have millions of true fans out here...gaining new fans every day...bring your music dude we love you...soul patrol for ever!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4