Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

Diane Miner

Dear Oprah:

For one that claims the love of God such as you do, living in sin in His eyes is wrong, big time. I have oftened wonder how you can justify it? I believe it's money that drives your decision and you will have to answer for it some day....

Diane Miner

Roger Martinez

Cop out

Being a confirmed bachelor myself, I agree with everyone for not jumping into marriage. It is a serious and major committment. The cop-out is claiming marriage is just a piece of paper. If it was that simple, then it would be much less dramatic, for Oprah. Oprah, if your afraid of committment through marriage, admit it, don't cop-out on the claim it is just a piece of paper.

Lorna

Where ever did comment #1 (Frankee) come up with the idea that getting married has to be an expensive ordeal? . . . quote "Why waste so much money on one day especially if you know you and your partner are committed to each other? How much more could that money do say if it were given to your favourite charity?"

FYI Frankee, people choose to make the event a wasteful expense! The comment is obviously from an uninformed cheapskate. If you want to count your $$ and put a price tag on your legal commitment, it takes only a few $$ for the cost of the paperwork and a marriage officer licenced by the State to get it done! The cost to get that "piece of paper" (the marriage licence) would not even be a substantial gift to any charity! Marriage is a matter of choice, whether it is done expensive or merely legalized is up to the pocket of the couple.

Of course, when the fox doesn't get the grape, for whatever the reason, it is usually safer to say "it is probably sour anyway". Foxes also eat more palatable foods than grape too. So any darn excuse to do what you chose to do or not to do would be good enough especially for celebs.

Lost in the Florida Keys

I am twice married, and believe me, the last thing I wanted to do after my very messy, nasty divorce was to ever get married again. The only reason my husband INSISTED we get married is because he wanted commitment." (I am his 4th wife!)

I could not see any good reason that we couldn't be commited to each other with out that stupid piece of paper, but he gave me that old line that women used to use: "Marry me or I will move out." I hate that s**t!!!!! But, because I loved him so much, I relented.

It's been over 13 years now, I still love him entirely too much, but I can guarantee you that if anything happens between us (divorce, death), I will never get married again!

I look at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell and think, why shouldn't that be able to work for anyone else? That's what I wanted.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!1

J. Curry

Why is the "M" word such a hard thing for some couples to except? Our society is at a place in time where everything is disposable or replaceable, even relationships. A commitment to the one you love should be shared; with family, friends and God. It is Not just a piece of paper, it is the promise from your soul; it is the devotion for the one you love. It is respect for each other. You state with that paper that your future is no where else but with them. Without that you are on a date; and when that "date" goes bad its bye-bye baby. It is sad that people are always looking for something better, temporary love, just like leasing a car. Give it back when the mileage is done.

Gail

In the beginning....
God Created Adam, then from Adam's rib God made EVE. No doubt they were husband and wife...they begat children, too.

I am mortified to see how many people today do not know the simple scriptures, so easily understood.

Marriage is mentioned too many times in Scriptures, it is ORDAINED by God Almighty !!

Gail

So Be it !!

Jennifer

I think it is not good to get married in hollywood it always seems that it ruins the relationships.
Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn have never gotten married and they have been together for 20 something years and Oprah and Steadman never married and together for 20 years.
It seems to me its better to not get married in hollywood and they'll have a great life together.

Sharon Howell

Who cares if they get married or not I certainly don't . And as far as gays and lesbian getting the right to marry pleeeezz. A marriage is meant to be between a man and woman. Not man and man, or woman and woman. That's exactly why the US is going to hell in a handbasket. Read the bible and refer to Sodom and Garmora, and why those cities were destroyed, letting any and everything go.
God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Get some Jesus in your lives.

Anonymously Yours

C'mon people...

LMAO at the Oprah and George Clooney comments as well as those being holier than thou with their views on marriage and religion and morality.

George Clooney a man's man possibly. Aubry-hell no.

As to the Halle Berry/Gabriel Aubry combo--Who knows? Do I think they will stay together, probably not, I could be wrong. No, it's not because of the race thing, I could care who she dates/lives with/boffs etc. They really just don't look that really belong together, what can they really have in common, seriously. Regardless of my cynicism, only time will tell.

**re: about the English lesson in the proper usage of the words affect (verb-to be influenced; noun-usually used to describe an emotion/pyschological term) and effect (verb-to cause; noun-result). Yes, effect is probably in either verb or noun usage correct for #7's post. #7 could've meant either or if they were thinking affect they may have thinking Halle's recent Benet bashing and rumors of the boyfriend whether they are true or not are moot but could influence her future credibility and reputation in the media vs it being a cause or result--that's my two cents on the English lesson.

The issue isn't Aubry being insecure. He may be very self assured and confident, who knows. It's probably more than Halle is insecure which even carries over into her work. Do I think he is using her for whatever reason, don't have a clue. Is Halle using him to validate herself and not look at herself, clueless on this one too.

Do think she does have some serious issues to work out, she possibly may be married a third time down the road after she takes stock at herself in the mirror instead of paying lip service to please the media and her fans.

Do think she is portrayed in the media as someone who is hysterical, a whinner, a victim, delusional, inconsistent in her words and actions, lives in a fantasy world--whether they are actually true or just plain media hype, who knows? Does she love attention, definitely in some shape and form.

Hopefully, she has learned from the recent Benet bashing. And make a personal or formal apology for causing all riffraff regardless of Benet's actions and behavior while they were married.

Do think she sometimes forgets that since is an Oscar winner, the general public has a perception or expectation she should be or act a certain way. Because of that everyone including the media will be watching her every move.

Prior to her winning, the general public only knew about her little fender bender since it was on the evening news, maybe something on her marriage to David Justice (who knows what actually happened on both sides), and may she was in whatever movie at the time.

boo

That's kind of crazy that these people are saying they won't get married until gays can, especially Howard Stern who is a racist white man...why would he care about gays??? In fact, all of their reasons are stupid. I don't think they are being honest about why they don't want to get married. You would never meet anyone on the street who would say those things, except maybe "it's just a piece of paper," and even those people are just making excuses. Men don't want to get married because they don't want to COMMIT, and for someone like Clooney who has been with, apparently, every actress under the sun, that makes perfect sense. Celebrity males definitely do not want to commit when they have females throwing themselves at them non-stop. Women almost always want to get married, but some of them (like me) get tired of putting up with men's bullsh!t and give up...and that's exactly what happened to Halle. Furthermore, Oprah knows damn well she simply CAN'T get Stedman to marry her, and that's another reason a lot of women don't get married (and why people use that "piece of paper" crap-line), especially if they have been in the same relationship with someone for YEARS AND YEARS. I'm not saying there's something wrong with not wanting to get married, because I definitely don't want to--I just think these people need to be honest.

David

Guess I am just an old fashioned traditionalist, and feel there is a purpose to marriage. But the world is changing..... I am old enough to feel it is not for the better. But in any relationship I know it goes beyond the genitals.... and if it does not last it just goes to the commitment and the egoistic predelection of the individual.

Rane

Johnny Depp...just got to love that guy!

Lee

I can understand why people in THEIR world shouldn't get married, none of their marriages last anyway, but why knock the sanctity of marriage. There is alot to be said for commitment, and having children with the person your committed to, AFTER you've been married. That paper as many of you (and them) call it, is a legal document, which offers protection, in case one spouse feels he/she no longer wants to be in the marriage or if the marriage should be terminated because of problems. It also will protect any children in the marriage. You know, like all those "papers" signed by the rich and and famous...what are they called...pre nups. Marriage is not for everyone of course. It takes people with fortitude, strong convictions, and intense feelings, to be totally committed to another, that they want to take that walk down the aisle. Maybe those who DON'T want that "paper", don't have those convictions and they know it. So I say, please, DON'T GET MARRIED and if at all possible don't have children, because that's an even GREATER commitment that takes two people who love each other unconditionally, without remorse, and who will souly live and love those children, together as one entity. Children need that paper, they need to know things will not change. That mommy and daddy will always be there for them, together. Obviously, not everyone can live up to this, and many times people should absolutely not be together and divorce is inevitable. But, if we don't have that little paper, doesn't it make it so much easier for people to decide that maybe they don't feel like being married today? Maybe this is ok for La La Land, but I wouldn't use them as the prototype for marriage.

Diane handley

If a couple or person isn't willing to make a legal commitment, then it seems they want the option of being able to leave if and when they so choose. Marriage is just that, a "commitment" to stand by the other person, in good times and bad, and without the written "commitment" of marriage then where is the actual commitment? Sure, married people still divorce, but they weren't really commited, were they? The other BIG reason for marriage, is that in God's eyes, it is a sin to live together sexually without being married. That is the biggest reason for a legal "piece of paper".