Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

dlgus

I wonder why Oprah thinks "A mere piece of paper" would have caused the breakup between she and Steadman. Would he have all of a sudden refused her sleepovers with Gail?

ROTLMAO! You know, I've been married, and I'm now single......I loved being married, and I love being single--especially when that alimony check arrives every month! And THAT is something you CANNOT get when you are living together!

Nelle

Marriage certificate or not?
Well, I suppose that piece of paper tells your world that you can make a commitment to your significant other sharing all you have worked for individually and as a couple. Relationships take effort and strong giving skills. With certification, extra effort is exercised and the union is taken a bit more seriously.

It's just a matter of responsibility and maturity. Obviously, it's not for everyone.

Kendall

I'm still amazed that people don't seem to remember that the original intent of the "legal document" was to prove that your wife was your property and therefore under your supervision.

Centuries of commitments have been in place, most of which where just a recognition between partners.

Josette VanderWeyst

If marriage is only a piece of paper, why are gays and lesbians making such a big deal about getting married? One word: BENEFITS; legal benefis, like access to health care, next of kin, Social Security.

Sandra Reist

I have always liked Ophra and some of the others I see pictured here, but the fact is if they are believers in Jesus, and God our Heavenly Father, then they need to get out their Bible and start reading.

God made it so that man and woman be married. Not live togethers, not gay couples to be together.

I love what these talented people are, but to say I agree with what they do...no I do not.

I hope God reaches into their hearts before it is too late for them.

Sally

What is it with you people. Just because the guy doesn't want to get married he's got to be gay? He was already married, it didn't work out. He can date any girl he wants, he has money, he is intelligent and creative why should he get married?

Ken

Why on earth do people think Clooney is gay, simply because he is in his 40s and not married? I am 44 and never married and I am not gay. Personally, I think that in this day and age it would be virtually impossible for a guy like him to keep that sort of thing a secret. Personally, I am the product of a horrendous marriage and I guess I am a bit gunshy to wind up in that kind of situation. There are plenty of reasons for a man (or woman) to not get married, not just sexual preference.

Claudia

Halle will remarry because she loves attention. As soon as she sees her career waning, she'll do what she usually does to get hewr mug back in the news and appear on shows with her whining and croc tears, she'll get married. This woman is such a idiot and her acting despite an Oscar is laughable. Hell, the movie wasn't that great. Overrated and starved for attention Halle will marry. Hmmm but who will her next victim be?

Christine

Hi, I think that marriage is not for everyone, but more than just a piece of paper for many, it is a religious covenant, it is a statement to the community of the wedded couple that they are together forever, it is a request for the community to monitor behaviour and help them stay together, and it is a legal situation that should have lifetime lasting affects. It is an incredibly powerful statement to stand up in front of witnesses and make public, love and commitment.

Getting married just for names to be the same sounds like a poorly thought out reason to marry. Names can be legally changed without marriage. And many young women seem to think it is required they name their children after an absent dad, when in fact you can give your baby any name you want . . . Kennedy maybe! Whatever you like.

Mary

Marriage is more than a piece of paper.... God made man and woman to be together. He gave Eve to Adam for his lifes mate. Marriage is about sharing your life with the love of your life. It is sharing the good and the bad. marriage says i am willing to go through life with you and face life together. It is the only way to truly say I love you to the one and only love of your life. I have been married 15 years and many thought it would only last 6 months. Life and marriage is what you make it. It is work. It takes both of you working together.

Helen

IMHO [constitutionally protected :-)], I think Oprah is gay. No real woman who has a man totes her "best girlfriend" to every darn thing, to EVERY very special event, etc. Like they protected Rock Hudson, I think Hollywood is protecting Oprah. In fact, I was told that by an insider. I say she is flaunting it right in front of everyone, but all you folks/fools are so into the "church of oprah" that you don't see it! When I'm involved with a guy, HE is the one to be my escort. I will be on the arm of MY MAN. And in their situation, maybe they have some "arrangement", but he would be required to be my escort if I'm really footing the bill (LOL). They aren't even trying to give the appearance of being together. Oprah and Gayle are together TOO MUCH for something to not be "the real deal". They are even looking like each other (both have horse heads and at times hold their mouths the same). That's why O has so many shows on hidden lives, "when did you know," Those shows aren't for her viewers, they're for HER issues. Boy will you people be fooled when the truth comes out. IMHO. I am not fooled by O, who, despite some good things she does, also is a self-important praise-hog these days.

Chuck

Celebrities, as well as non-celebrities say that marriage is just a piece of paper. Well, if you don't have the piece of paper, it creates more paperwork.

If you aren't married, then you will need two wills, or property, other than property held as joint tenents, will go to blood relatives.

If you aren't married, you can't file a joint tax return.

If you aren't married, then you need medical-care powers of attorney. A hospital will not let a "committed partner" make decisions regarding emergency medical treatment, but they will a spouse make such decisions.

Granted, celebrities can afford high-priced legal talent to draft document ad naseum. But why put yourself in a postion that requires spending money on lawyers just to handle routine matters?

As for Howard and Charlize, why deprive yourself of a legal right, simply because it may not be available to others? This is the same as a white person, prior to the passage of the Voting Rights Act, saying that he would not vote until all blacks enjoy the right to vote, or a man saying he would not vote until the 18th Amendment was ratified.

Amber

Marriage is a personal choice, and maybe for celebs it's easyier not too. Tradition is great, public show of commitment, sure. I do believe it's more the "a piece of paper" emotionally, but it helps in legal reasons aswell. You spend years with a person. Let's say they pass after retirement. From what I understand, the spouse is eligible for the rest of that retirement pay, not the girlfriend. So you go from two incomes down to one. If you (like a celeb) would have no problems paying all the bills you had with this person great it works for you. At the same time I dont think you will have thier debts fall in your laps either.

Some states do have "common marriages" (where a couple have lived w/ eachother for X amount of time etc..) anyone know what rights that gives you when you split, or the retirment situation, or how about "to the pull the plug" or "not to pull"? Not saying you would have less of an idea what the patient would then a wife, but do the Docs see that? I suggest if you dont believe in marraige but are committed, Power of Attorney and Wills are important.

Jan

I don't understand why some of these people say they won't get married until gays are allowed to marry in this country. Does that mean they are secretly gay? If Ms. Theron doesn't like the laws in our country, let her go back to South Africa where she is from and lobby for the gays there.

Susan

To Hilda #10...It seems like you think the most important reason for the 'piece of papaer' is money...assets. Well that may be the reason some folks marry, but then that would be a marriage that should never happen. That would simply be a Anna Nichole Smith marriage. One doe not marry to 'get hold' of another persons' assets. That is the WORST reason to have that piece of paper.
And, in the world we live in today, ANYONE who gets married without a prenuptial agreement is crazy!!!
However, that being said, if there are couples out there who have been together a long time and have accumulated assets together and have children together, then there should be some legal documents that guarantee the security of both partners and the children should that relationship end. The 'relationships' that anger me are ones like Anna Nichole Smith. Married for 1/12 years and thinks she deserves half of what a man worked for all this life!!!!!!!! That is garbage! She deserves what she put into the marriage. If he was 89 when he died, she deserves 1/89th of his wealth!!!!