Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

PEPPA

I DON'T BELIEVE IN SAME SEX MARRIAGE..... I DO WHOLE HEARTEDLY BELIEVE THAT HAVING A SAY IN THE HEALTH , PROPERTY, SOCIAL SECURITY AND >>> CHILDREN ( if a couple is parting ways ) .... SHOULD BE THE SAME THAT HETEROSEXUAL COUPLES ARE ENTITTLED TO >>>> .... ESPECIALLY IF THEV'E BEEN TOGETHER FOR TEN YEARS OR MORE.

willie

You say it's just a pice of paper. Try telling that to a car dealer the next time you want to buy a car on credit. The paper ties you to the deal. No paper no ties. So it is more than a pice of paper.

Debbe

I say to all of this....."to each his own" If they choose not to mary but remain in a relationship so be it. If they are happy in their living situations what business is it of anyone else's to make negative comments. And no I am not married but it is by choice as I had a bad marriage the 1st time around also. I am in a relationship and we are devoted to each other, honest with each other and when and if it ends....hey....that's life! I say "Live and let live" There are so many stuffed shirts in this world and they make it impossible for everyone.....Grow up and get a life all you pompous bores...........mind ya own business and let the Oprahs, Halle's, George C's and Johnny Depp's live their lives without your silly remarks!

valerie

A poster said that a wedding was a lot of money to be wasted on one day. Getting married is not at all expensive. Some people chose to make it expensive by having a lavish reception, but that is their choice. A marriage license and no reception or a small simple reception is not expensive. So money need not be an obstacle to getting married.

Joy Ainsworth-Bowers

A marriage is a state of mind not a piece of paper. But saying that, the law is on the side of the married couple for both parties. Children sometimes have a road to hoe when their peers get bitchy but happily it is far and away not the norm of today. As for not marrying until gays and lesbians can is not going to happen for a long time. But explain to me if you can why they do not have the same rights as the man/woman combination does. Homosexuality is a religious/moral issue not a political one. We need to spend more time worrying about our corrupt politicians that we have put in office. Can someone explain why the Congress can give themselves 8 raises since the minimum wage of $5.12 went into effect? They deserve a raise but the poor of our country don't, weird thinking in my estimation.

Andrea

I don't know how it s in other states but in New Jersey if a man and a woman live
together for 7 or more years, they are civilly married even though they have no m
marriage licence.

Just because someone chooses not to marry, who are we to pass judgement?

Margaret

Simply put marriage is an arrangement that was put into motion by our creator. Therefore the scriptures state, fornication is forbidden along with adultery. So it is not just a piece of paper! Many of His laws are broken, so I guess people feel why not one more. Just don't think it matters I guess.

Sandra

I agree with the majority, I beleive that marriage is a piece of paper. Its great that people want to get married and do it in the traditional way with a big wedding and with all your friends and family but from my personal experience once you say I DO its all over with, its like the whole relationship changes.
The problem is not marriage itself, its getting married to young and too soon. I beleive that a person should wait until at least in there late 20's or early 30's to get married because by then you have a chance to expierence life on your own, college is done and the career is taking off and you know what you want out of life. Also I beleive you should live with someone for at least a year or so before committing to marriage. You really do not know someone until at least 6 months into a relationship, thats when you really get to know someones quirky little habits and also is when you wll find out if you can see yourself with this person for the rest of your life or is it time to let go and look some for someone else.
From my personal experience, all my good friends that I went to High School with we have all been married and are all divorced now with and without kids. Except for one couple, high school sweethearts, lived with each other for about 8 years and then finally got married in there late 20's. Still married to this day and I say congratulations to them.

PATRICE

ITS RATHER SHOCKING THAT NO ONE SEEMS TO AGREE WITH GODS PLAN. DOES ANYONE READ AND LIVE ACCORDING TO GODS WORD ANYMORE? THROUGH ALL THE MISTAKES WE MAKE DOING THINGS OUR WAY I KNOW TRYING IT GODS WAY HELPS TO SEE THE REAL FULFILLMENT IN LIFE. GOOD OR BAD WOULD NOT BE AN ALTERNATIVE.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW AND THINGS... GOD HAS ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF IT.

Dana

I've been with the same man since I was 16 & he was 17. We have 2 boys that we had in our 20's. WE NEVER MARRIED! I have no desire for a wedding either. Commitment is not about the instution of marrage. It is about working in through NO MATTER WHAT! We have had many problems in our realtionship because we were so young and both of us were very imature, but we knew that life is not easy, and growing up isn't easy either, but commitment between 2 people with your whole body and soal is what makes a lifetime realtionship work, not a big party and a white dress. As far as assects go that is what our will is for.Hilda I think you are an idot to beleive people like me are in this just for a f***! You wouldn't understand commitment if it bit you in the ass.

Ellen

Speaking strickly for myself -
Marriage is a legal commitment, but much more than that, it is a religious commitment, a sacrament. For religious, church-going people like us, the sacramental nature of marriage is far more than "a piece of paper." Of course, not every one is involved or active in a faith, but for us it is the primary foundation on which our family is built. Out individual relationships with God and our commitment to God at a couple is what marriage is all about. For people like Oprah and Charlize who decide marriage is not for them, I say, that's a good decision. More people should think deeply about what it all means before they run out and get "a piece of paper" that doesn't mean as much as it should.

Terri

These people have way too much to loose if the marriages never worked out.. So what about pre-nups, doesn't mean you won't loose something anyway. So if you think about it, it does have something to do with the little piece of paper.
More power to them, marriage is grossly overrated & co-habiting is just fine.
It all just boils down to love, respect, trust & loyalty.

brown

First of all, aside from the "piece" of paper issue, which is not really the point... for those that are Christians or have Christians beliefs... marriage is a HOLY act instituted by GOD (during Bibilical days, to prohibit sex outside of marriage). ... The wedding ceremony,not marriage, is traditional. GOD stated that it is not something he said that we have to do. It was, at the time, speaking to those single people who had strong sexual desires. In fact, the Bible states that if one feels that marriage is not right for them, then it is better to remain unmarried then to get married and then divorce..... so those that choose not to, that is fine, but don't base it off the "piece of paper" issue.. because like what one other person above wrote.. that is an excuse.. because their are alot of people that do it, who the "piece of paper" means nothing, but the act of marriage itself means something.

Tanya Mansfield

Whatever happened to God? Doesn't anybody remember that it's living in sin unless your married?!...

Kenny Anderson

Well if these celebs have decided not to get married, but will/have had partners, then are they not going to have sex? Sex outside of marriage by most historically acceptable standards is fornication.

Why celebrate celebs who decide to fornicate for the rest of their lives?

Sex is for married people.