Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

Joan H.

Marriage is a holy sacrament and living together without God's sacrament whlle masquerading as a follower of the Lord's Ten Commandments is hypocritical. Most of the so-called "celebrities" are nothing but phonies who have no spiritual connections whatsoever, not to mention their lack of morals.

JUST WONDERING

All individuals that are posting to this board, should keep one thing in mind, human beings have human frailities. That said, we all make mistakes and marriage and relationships fit into a very fine category.

This world will be judged one day, by the judge of all judges. He will weigh your heart, your thoughts and your lifestyle. I wish that all men and women that have ever taken the leap toward marriage, had prayed about it and waited for their answer before endeavoring into such a holy matrimony. Most, however do not consider this strategic move or even give it a second thought, as a result, we have divorce and people attempting marriages of their own making.

In as much we have not only offended ourselves with our bad judgment, we have offended GOD. Think about it this way, what will I say to my maker when I meet him, because if in my condtion now, he can stand to look at me.....Will he judge me on my what if's, or will he judge me according to his righteousness? If more individuals would keep their focus right there, we would have less mistakes to ask forgiveness of and the divorce rate would be down to a bare minimum.

OH, and the judging would be zero to none by anyone on this earth.

Krystal Hamilton

If people say it is just a piece of paper then why all the excitment when it is denied to the gays. I will tell you why, it is because it is a statment of commitment and also tradition. A tradition that began between men and women and that is the way it should stay. People who say it is just a piece of paper are afraid of truly commiting themselves to one person.

Gneiss

Honestly, celebrity or not---the divorce rate too high. I'm 48 and never married and have a son. I think marriage is just a piece of paper according to what I've seen over the years from my married friends. At one time, yes I wanted to be married, and have been asked many times, but with all that I've seen around me over the many with other married couples-- I think - a piece of paper is not really important---the relationship committment is. Times have truly changed and well---I think for most men and women a relatioinship is temporary and is something they get into because they are unhappy, bored, or want to impress their friends/family.

Renee Brown

I am not trying to pick on Oprah but I was wondering if she feels like that about Stedman who she claims asked her to marry him and she said no, then why stay with him out of all people. Evidently there relationship is not strong enough period so why is she even wasting her time. I am married and I do not appreciate the comment about "A mere a piece of paper." Marriage is honorable between a woman and man who truly and sincerely love each other and are ready to commit. Even dogs have a license, so I would rather have a legal document then sell myself short with the same man who may never be my husband. Whether you have been married before or not, past experiences should be a learning lesson for the present and future. God has someone for everybody, so you should never say never regardless of previous relationships. If you are with a person, having doubts or saying to yourself we would not last in a marriage then this is enough to walk away. Why are you holding on to something that is really not there. I will conclude, I just wanted to put this out there in general and give people something to think about whether they have a high status or not.

Sandra White

Unfortunately, all of the celebrities mentioned have many obstacles in their life that they've yet to overcome, and that is part of the reason for the fear. I admire them for living life one day at a time. We are aware of the increasing yo-yo syndrome of marriages and divorces in Hollywood. There is not a guarantee that the person you're with today, you'll be with tommorrow. With the glamour of Hollywood, and the requirements to look appealing at all times, I'm surprised people are staying together in any capacity. Then you have some actors unable to control emotions while filming. Human nature tells me if I had a starring role in a film with one of the sexiest men or women in the world with a love scene, I couldn't wake up the next day with amnesia. I understand that we all have to work for a living and a lot of us enjoy what we do,but also remember unless you are a strong individual in the life that you have chosen, marriage will not work. There is nothing wrong with being single, and there is nothing wrong with not having children. Finally, we must also remember that there are no perfect humans on this earth and that life, love, and marriage, doesn't come from a fairy tale. If you're thinking about getting marriage,and everything sounds to good to be true it probably is. Any thing worth having is hard work.

Angel

Marriage is a sacred institution ordained by God. It is very appropriate and fitting to receive the blessings from the creator on the individual someone choose to marry. I do not support gay/lesbian marriages and I do not ever plan to. God ordained marriage between Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. There is enough craziness in the world today. I hope you all have your life in order when the rapture comes. Go get a real relationship with the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maxwell

Well -- how about this notion? Marriage, by it's traditional definition, is a lifelong commitment before God. I have great respect for any couple who choose to dedicate their lives in a partnership of love and respect through marriage. Marriage is the foundation of a strong social fabric, and has been since peaceful social structures began. You are right when you say that a "piece of paper" doesn't "define" that type of commitment. However, a spoken commitment before God represents the true definition of everlasting love as represented by one's commitment of faith to God. God is the pure definition of Love. Marriage is a couple's pledge to validate God's pure love every day for as long as they live. If you believe that human evolution is simply a quest to "tune-in" to God's pure love, then a true marriage will further our journey to that evolutionary goal. A life lived only to satisfy one's self becomes a roadblock to the destination of God's love. The ability to dedicate one's self to another, in every physical and emotional way, can only lead to a oneness with God.

Tom Langford

This is insane commentary. I cant believe this people (Stern and Theron) are actually using marriage to make a political statement. Last I checked Theron was from South Africa so if she has problems with the laws in our country maybe she should leave and worry about hers (which has plenty of problems of its own). As far as Stern goes, anybody who takes any of his political stances seriously needs to check their own priorities. I could not care less if any of these people ever get married. They certainly don't either. When celebrities get married they are really just arrangements that dont last longer than 6 months. Maybe I will refuse to die until Congress repeals the death tax!!!!!! That will show them.

shffl

Hey quit calling George Clooney a Gay, he WAS married before and maybe it didnt work out well. Maybe he's abit squemish about saying "I Do" again~! I personally think maybe he might find "the right gal" later on........like the actor frm" An Affair to Remember", not Rock Hudson!!! there i said it!! an irish gal frm Ma.

Athena

Actually ur right it is more than a piece of paper. the word family comes from the latin word famulus which means servant. In Arabia, the time of Mohammad, the word for marriage was nikah, which means literally sexual intercourse. In Koran, it meant contract as well. So marriage is actually a contract for sexual intercourse. So there you there are, your MEANINGFUL ceramony is for quite literally a contract of doin' the nasty. Oh also, the newer version throws in all your assets as well. So let's see. MARRIAGE or COMMITTED RELATIONSHIP? hmmm? oh I think I'll have to go with the 2nd. Just something about being in a contract for sex, giving up all of my earthly belongings to someone just somehow gives me the willies. Call me shallow.

David Johnson

Look i love Oprah the bottom line is and it is the bottom line Oprah has to much money people that is and when she says it is just a piece of paper i have a problem with that it is not just a piece a paper that is the problem with society know they try to act like being married doesn't mean anything anymore but it does look she to much money why would she get married she would be stupid to get married come on Oprah dont down play marriage i think it is wrong for yu do to so.

JCT

What is a marriage?

A marriage is simply a relationship held together by a covenant, a promise (a vow) between 2 parties that is binding. The vows are made between each other and God as a declaration of your devotion of one another in spite of the trials that will come. A covenant by definition is unbreakable without consequences (that's why a covenant is different from just a promise). Love and attraction is what may bring a couple together, but the vow is what will keep them together in spite of the trials. As with any contract, promise, vow, or covenant it is imperative that the parties consider very carefully their roles, commitment, and responsibilities if they were to enter into such an agreement. It must be also be taken into consideration as to whether the couple is seeking a commitment that is merely legal, i.e. recognized by the laws of the land or one that is spiritual (and legal) which is contractually "presided" over and recognized by God.

Beth

I'll be Mrs. Depp in a heartbeat.

Jennie

Though marriage is traditional in America, it does not mean that the reason people marry is due to tradition.
Marriage was instituted by God to make one of two. It is a symbol of the joining of two individuals to become unified as one. Lifelong commitment, in my opinion, can not be obtained if the two are not willing to make changes and declare that they are no longer living with their own interests in mind.
Marriage is not merely a piece of paper, it is a vow to love and honor one another (until death's separation) promised before witnesses and God. It is a sacred ceremony with profound importance. By marrying, I am declaring to the world, essentially, that I am committing my life to my mate, come good or bad, for life.
By changing my name, I am declaring that I want to be associated with my husband.
It is so much more than most people (even some already married) understand.