Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

georgie

hey, if it's so unimportant that us straights get married, then why is it such an issue to let homo's marry?

Solomon

I really don't care what celebrities believe especially when it comes to important matters. Ok, I do care.... I wish they weren't such boneheads. If marraige were easier maybe more celebs would try it and actually work at it. The fact that so many marriages fail doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile and that there is something wrong with the institution. Celebrites have so much riding on "themselves" and "their" careers that they can't risk giving any of their time or energy to anyone else. So all I ask is that they please don't have any children. A lot of celebs come from families outside of showbiz and had families that supported them in their youth. They might have had tough times trying to break into the business when they moved to LA or NYC as they got older but who doesn't struggle to make it on their own as an adult. Marriage and family is a big deal and unless you are willing to make that lifelong commitment then your choice should be to remain single and not to have kids. That goes for all of us non-celebs as well.
By the way, I am a 35 year old single man who has never been married and has no kids. But some day I will.

Terry Amos

I think marriage is not for everyone. I have been married once, and I love living alone. I enjoy compamy. I also enjoy when they leave. If you find a good friend who understands you and you that person, great. Then maybe, I would be married as long as I do not have to talk my partner 24/7. We all need space.

Londi

Because living in sin is just that....living in sin, whether it's the rich and famous, or the average Jack and Jill. That's why that piece of paper is relevant.

Betty Boop

Where oh where is Steadman??? I don't even believe that Oprah has Steadman any more. She is only using him to keep the media at bay. Sorry Oprah, but you won't ever get married because you have too much fun screwing around.

E

If you're lying in the same bed, You NEED to be married.

Pete

Well, a non-marriage relationship is great for some couples, providing they do not bear children. The stigma of being a child born out of wedlock has lessend in recent years, but it is still looked down on by the majority of people.
Should we need to see a prime example of an extended long term relationship, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell are the perfect couple. Faithful to each other, out of the spotlight and still in love after many, many years together.
Too many of these celeb weddings are just photo ops because they don't mean a thing as far as commitment to each other. I'd cite many examples, but that's pointless, since there are too many.

Donna

How sad. I am celebrating my 20th anniversary today. I am MARRIED. I loved my husband enough to take vows...to make those promises to him. I don't have a pre-nup, I don't have an easy-out, I can't just walk away. Too bad that in our society, "love" is all about the hormone-driven warm, fuzzy feeling of the moment--which really has nothing to do with lifelong, lasting real-deal love. Love IS a committment. It's an act of the will. In sickness or in health, for better or for worse, etc...til death do us part...not til something better comes along, or I get bored, or I can't stand taking care of you anymore, or I need more money or attention, or you stop making me feel like a schoolgirl. I think that people who pat themselves on the back for "many years of a loving relationship without the piece of paper" are just plain afraid of REAL committment. They still really want to keep a part of their lives completely separate from their significant other, and they know they can walk away at any time with much, much less trouble than a married person can. Just kids playing a grown-up game. Marriage isn't for sissies or babies, or the selfish; sometimes it's great, sometimes it's hard...but that foundation...those promises...are always there to remind you of the love that you're committed to. And that PIECE OF PAPER keeps the memory of those promises when it gets tough. Happy anniversary, honey...and thanks for loving me enough to make a REAL MAN'S committment to me...hope the next 20 years are as fulfilling as the first!

Jenny

As we all know most of Hollywood has NO morals, so why would they do something as moral as marrying someone?!? Marriage is a commitment to an individual and God...that is what these people are sorely missing, in my opinion. I think it is truly sad!

gee

Let's really speak the truth marriage is a major commitment and is a privellege and entilement to people who can and will uphold their commitment to God and each other. Pepole can say so many excuses why they will not commit to marriage, but none of it can compare to the experience between a husband and wife with God in the middle. It's out of this world and unexplainable. I'm glad I took the risk!

Fritzi Lainoff

Marriage is not just for the piece of paper. It's about those 20 or 30 minutes you stand before family and friends and publically make a life time commitment of your love and trust to that one person, and that person to you. My husband and I performed that ceremony 57 years ago and we are still together only due to perserverance and working thru a lot of slips and slides along the way. We hope that in our time we will witness the marriage of our gay and lesbian friends, many we have already toasted at "commitment ceremonies" and anniversaries of commitment.

Denise

I am 26 and I was married and divorced by the age of 25. I will get married again but only with a lot of soul searching and to someone I am positively sure I am compatible with. My ex and I were both military, he still is. So I am sure everyone knows the dvorce rate among the military is higher than the civilian population. All that time apart. I still believe in marriage, but to each his or her own. If someone else doesn't want to get married who are we to force them too.

roberta chambers

Of all the celebrities highlighted I am most concerned about Oprah. Primarilyy because she is not just a celebrity - she is an american institution and an international role model. Oprah ought to really reconsider her concept and perception of marriage. Surprisingly enough it is an international institution which in every culture or society that I know of signifies the uniqueness and specialness of these two individuals to each other, it makes a statement to others in the community that these individuals are no longer available to be hit on and without becoming highly philosophical here some societies do have very harsh rules for the violation the boundaries of marriage. Never mind that in the US there seems to be no respect for the boundaries of marriage.

Oprah should not confine her perception of marriage to the polluted and perhaps violated model of marriage . If Oprah and Stedman could be together for 20 years why would it be different if she was married. what about the piece of paper that she thinks would make it different. I agree that a traditional model might not work between her and stedman- the stay at home mom, rearing of children, etc but unless by saying that the traditional model of marriage would not work for her means that she and Stedman could not be openly commited to each other exclusively- then I am still puzzled. If this is not just a classic case of fear of the unknown- then what is it.

OPRAH!! show to the world that the institution of marriage is a noble one. You have done a lot of work on "you" over your years in the public eye. you are now whole and you have come full circle. dont let the negative images of other celebrities failures color your view of what is right- step out there and show the world what marriage can be when you are really prepared for it, made the right choice of a partner who is similarly committed to you and your committment to preserving the love and respect between you both. take the plunge!!! even if you do it without a splash- do it!! do it Oprah! do it!!

dlgus

re: #49--Well, YOU are here--don't YOU have anything better to do? Just a note--you cannot look down on people when you are at the same level.

Sally Aversa

Marriage was instituted by God before paper was invented. It symbolizes committment and faithfullness which equals security for the entire family. No one has mentioned God, who is Love, and the creator of us all.