McConaughey's Lost Weekend

7/7/2006 2:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matthew McConaughey celebrated his independence from former girlfriend Penelope Cruz with a three-day bender in Costa Rica over the Fourth of July weekend.

Taking a cue from the movie that launched his career, the "Sexiest Man Alive" left much to be desired partying on the beach looking 'dazed and confused.'

Check out pics of Matthew's weekend beach blast.

A barefoot, shirtless, and sweaty Matthew got his groove on by drinking, dancing, writhing on the floor and even shushing one of his fellow vacationers.

Apparently McConaughey recuperated in no time, because just a couple of days later the confirmed bachelor was spotted hanging out with his bike riding buddies Jake Gyllenhaal and Lance Armstrong in Malibu.

wg

Ew. He always looks like he needs a shower & a shot of penicillin.

Renee

He wants to be just an 'average joe,' partying it up! He's so damn good looking and so damn normal! He didn't want to hear about his 'start status' from this girl, he just wanted to hang, and party!

Ellen

He looks gross, dirty and like he had a stroke. It's a shame being so attractive goes hand in hand with self destruction!! How long do we give him to live this really fine life of his??? Why do you think his leading ladies get rid of him??? I bet he smells putrid with unbelievably bad breath!!!!! Good luck hunky-I think you'll need all you can get.

Marcia

This man needs detoxed badly.

PENNEE

MATTHEW YOU ARE SUCH A HOTTIE. DITTO WITH #8

Lisa

Who hasn't been in that condition at least once? Leave the hottest man alive -ALONE!! I'm glad he's cutting loose! Can you imagine a camera stuck in your face 24/7? You go McConaughey!

Marcia

Everytime you see a picture of this guy he has a drink in his hand.
This guy has sever addiction problems.
I don't care how good looking he is the fact remains
he is in the height of addiction which only leads to
destruction. He is dirty and out of control.
I really hope someone intervenes and helps
Matthew get clean and sober.

April

Who cares if he drinks or not, and do we really CARE. He is FINE........
BABY I will pick you up and take you home and take care of you like the past comments you can play your bongos naked with me any time...

Amanda

And his beast implants look great too....

Lisa

Oh and by the way, if you have a useless comment about our beloved.... Use spell check!

TERRY

He's just another drunk getting attention. Nothing sexy about that, or HIM!
Get HELP!

Blogzy

If you take a look at the first photo in which they say he was "writhing on the floor" take a closer look. It seems his eyes are closed. Perhaps he passed out. His eyes in most pictures are closed or he looks like he has been smokin up a storm. Way to go Matthew! Last photo is probably him trying to tell her to shut up as she was talking too much since he is too drunk to listen to her.

Mitchell

Entertainers are human. Let the man enjoy life as long as he's not hurting anyone. I like his free spirit.

debi

WHY didn't I decide to go to Costa Rica for the fourth????!!!!! Let's face it.....Matthew is a hottie....no matter what condition he is in!!!!!!!!

Tina

I dont care if hes drunk hes freakin hot! He can get drunk and come stay with me anytime he would like! I will take care of him in the morning and stay in bed with him all day long!