Celebrity Family Feuds

7/15/2006 11:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Everybody fights with their families - even celebrities. And while forgetting to call home may upset your mom, it won't land you on the cover of magazines next to Nicole Richie's latest missed meal.
Celebrity Family Feuds

Unfortunately, the big stars don't have that same luxury.

TMZ tracked down some of Hollywood's biggest family feuds that could give "Kramer vs. Kramer" a run for its money.

Angelina Jolie vs. Jon Voight

Angelina JolieIn 2001, Angelina Jolie co-starred with her dad, Jon Voight, in the hit film "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider." By 2002 they were no longer on speaking terms.

Voight went on national television and blamed the split on what he says were Jolie's "serious emotional problems." Jolie countered "I have determined that it is not healthy for me to be around my father, especially now that I am responsible for my own child (Maddox)."

She eventually legally dropped the 'Voight' from her last name.

Earlier this week Voight admitted that he still wants to reconcile with his daughter and that he has yet to see his new granddaughter Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt.

It seems Jolie's main man Brad Pitt may need to get involved in order to settle this Hollywood Fight Club.

Tori Spelling vs. Candy Spelling

Tori Spellin Ever since Aaron Spelling's death in June, Tori Spelling and her mother Candy have been involved in a catty and public exchange of words.

Tori first heard the news of her father's death via a friend's email and told Us Weekly "I can't believe my mom didn't call me!" Tori revealed she had only seen her father once since last September allegedly because she was unhappy that Candy was spending time with Mark Abramson, a longtime family friend, while Aaron's health deteriorated.

In response to Tori's interview in Us Weekly, Candy and Tori's brother Randy issued a statement saying "We are deeply saddened that, during our time of loss and grief, we are forced to respond to the media frenzy caused by the mean-spirited and surprising comments made by Tori to the press, just two days after the passing of Aaron."

Tori has also denied rumors that her estrangement from her parents had anything to do with her divorce from Charlie Shanian and subsequent marriage to actor Dean McDermott or her VH1 family-mocking series "so noTORIous."

Stay tuned for further developments in the 9021-Uh Oh.

Jennifer Aniston vs. Nancy Aniston

Jennifer Aniston severed her relation with her mother, Nancy, after she gossiped about her on a tabloid TV show and wrote the revealing book "From Mother and Daughter to Friends: A Memoir."

The rift ran so deep that Jennifer didn't even invite Nancy to her 2000 wedding to Brad Pitt. In 2004, Jennifer said "I never thought my mom would not know my husband."

Nancy may not have gotten to know Brad but he was partly responsible for bringing mom and daughter back together. Jennifer said that in the aftermath of her breakup from Pitt she and her mother mended their strained relationship. In 2005 Jennifer told "Good Morning America" "It was the time, and it was going to happen when it was supposed to happen. So this is good."

Now that Brad is out of the picture, it's good to see Jen and her mom are back to being 'Friends.'

Julia Roberts vs. Eric Roberts

Julia RobertsThe "Pretty Woman" and her brother Eric Roberts became estranged when Julia took Eric's ex-girlfriend's, Kelly Cunningham's, side in the couple's bitter custody battle over daughter Emma in 1993.

Ironically, as one child tore the siblings apart, another two helped reunite them.

In 2004, Eric visited Julia in the hospital after giving birth to her twins Phinnaeus and Hazel. Eric told PEOPLE "We all dropped a couple of tears" and everything is back on track.

Lindsay Lohan vs. Michael Lohan

Lindsay Lohan Michael Lohan has had more run-ins with the law than his daughter Lindsay's had boyfriends. He's been arrested for everything from attacking a sanitation worker and assaulting his brother-in-law to drunk driving. These incidents were especially troubling as they occurred as Lindsay's career continued on it's meteoric rise to teen queen stardom. Things were further strained by Michael's nasty divorce to Lindsay's mom Dina. Michael even wanted Lindsay's fortunes considered a marital asset in the divorce but the request was denied.

Lindsay documented her relationship with her estranged dad in the song "Confessions of a Broken Heart (Father to Daughter)." In the song Lindsay sings "If you loved us, why did you do all these things." To make it even more personal, Lindsay directed the video and cast her 11-year-old sister Ali as a younger version of herself.

Michael responded to the video with a song of his own which said "I do admit, I did at times fall. But these things you know were due to "THEM."

With Michael serving time in a NY state prison and Lindsay shuttling cross-country from hotspot to hotspot, it looks like they are both spending their time apart behind bars.

the wise old owl

Either you want to see someone or you DON'T A family member or friend can't forse you to except a family member into your life if you DON'T LIKE THE PERSON. Since we don't get to pick our family, there's no way in HELL there's a guarentee that you are going to LIKE THEM. Sure we all want to have a loving family situation, where everyone gets along and loves each other. But REALITY BITES! This is a world of imperfections and we all iive in it. Most families are DISFUNTIONAL now anyway. At least they're not killing each other. This senario sounds like a JERRY SPRINGER SHOW.

kim

#14 think you hit it on the head with that. its bad enough for peolpe who are not in puplic eye but lets get real you can't pick your family and why be around people you don't care for just because of DNA

Patty

What Jen seems to forgot about her Mother is that when her dad left her Mother for a much Younger Actress, It was her Mother that was there for her, not her Father, Her Father was out statring a new Family and it was her Mother who raised her until much later in her life when Father of the year deciided he wanted to be her Father again. But now that she is rich and famous Her Mother just does not fit into her life. Brad you made the right choie Angelina is more you type, why live in a loveless marriage with this woman with such a cold heart.

Patty

Amber

Good to know everyone has disfunctional families and it's not just mine.... Ha! I wish everyone would get over the whole Angelina thing though, she's a good mother, she adopted these two beautiful children that probably would never have anything if it werent for her and she has chosen to have a child of her own. It's all about love - and those kids are so loved.

Patty

#18, I totally agree with you, Everyone seems to blame Angelina for everything, I am thrilled for her she really loves all 3 of her Children.
As far as her and Brad, I think they just fell in love, we all know his marriage to Jen was over. No one can resist Angelina, Why do you think Melanie Griffin was on the set of the movie Antonio made with her. No one can resist Angelina

Rose

Since Angelina father said she had a emotional problem, which was a strange comment to me. Children inherit family genes, wonder did it come from his side of the family. And I agree with #3, he never speak of Maddox and Zahara, only wanting to see Shiloh. And #12, I don't see anything incestious about saying it was unhealthy to be around her father. It may have been to much drama to deal with him. We all family members it is unhealthy to be around for any amount of reasons.

LaLa

Please #12. If there is any indication of incest, which I think is ridiculous, it is with her brother. Did you see that them kiss at the awards show? Maybe that is why her father says she has mental problems!!

Jeri

Family is the only ones who can hurt you the most. When they betray you it is even worse. Jennifer's mom wanted to grab some of her daughter media attention for herself.

Eric's life was out of control and Julia did what she thought was best for her niece.

Angelina father I have no clue what is up with him. He does not understand his daughter so he blames her behavior on a mental diorder. Angelina seems to be a very complicated woman I believe if he would have discussed his concers before going to the media he would have been enlightened as to her actions.

Tori I have no clue what is up with that but I think their is more to it than just her mother seeing another man.

I think distance is a good idea for Lindsey to do her father is is a train. wreck.

Judy

It is hard to understand what is going on in this generation of 30ish and 40ish adult children with their parents. It is in epidemic proportions it seems.

When my 40ish daughter estranged herself from me, I went to work to try to find out why. It seems like Jolie, Jennifer, and Tori find it so easy to create distance from their mothers and/or fathers. I believe the three of them come from the "ME" generation. When all of their focus is on themselves, they lose their compassion and respect for their parents it seems. In other words, their parents seem to be of no further use so they are easily discarded. How sad that is and eventually they will realize this!
I have created a website, www.EstrangedParents-AdultChildren.com to bring parents together who have lost their adult children for various reasons. I really believe it is a sign of the times.

joe

Can we please stick to the article and not mention Jennifer Aniston? This article is about Angelina Jolie and her problems with her father. Not about Jen and her mother.

I am beginning to feel sorry for her ex-husbands. Thorton walked out because a) he was tired of kissing her ass and b) he was tired of solving her problems and his too.

I, too, wish she would keep her personal problems to herself. And start protecting her children as a parent should.

Tyler

Jolie must have some serious sick sex moves man 2 make Brad go out like he is going out cause I mean he my boy & all but the way he is doing his ex wife is kinda foul on the real but when U look at Jolie how can U blame him?

Tyler

I like big tits as much as the next man but I don't get what the big deal is with the Lohan chic? . . . I mean she ain't 'dat hot, unless U like lots of dots all over your girl but still I don't see where her talent is? Unless U count her being able to hold mad amounts of liquor. . .

Joy Nielsen

I have always been for monogamy, but in Brad and Angie's case I think they came together at a time in (his life anyway) where they had the same goals. Remember when Brad and Jen were married he (or they) said something like: This will be an interesting experiment..." And several months before Brad and Angie made their movie together there were rumors that he in particular was not happy in his marriage. Although Jen now says she was always willing to have a baby, that is not true. She was willing after making several movies. Being a movie star was the most important agenda to her. I hope Brad and Angie make it. She has changed and motherhood seems to mean everything to her, but she has not had a good track record where marriage is concerned. Only time will tell. I agree that she must be irresistable. And she is willing to let Brad smoke (outside), ride a motorcycle, pursue his love of modern furnishings, etc., while Jen complained and was uncooperative if she didn't like what he liked. Mind you, the smoking is not good for his health so I do hope he can quit. At any rate, Angie and Brad seem better suited.

Originalkat

I think Angelina needs to straighten up before it is too late.
She goes over and visits these other countries and show so much compassion
Having the loss of both my parents before I was 50 is still a lonely feeling.
I couldn't live with myself or look at my children if I had been holding a grudge against either one of them.

I have a 2 yr old granddaughter now and I don't hold her or look at her that I don't think of my parents. I have heard her father's interviews begging to see his grandchildren..it is terrible.
I think she is very close to her mother(and as we know..her brother). I believe she is letting that interfere with her relationship with her father. When people never get over the emotional part of the marriage that is what happens. They raise the children with their resentments.

My husband is in this situation with his ex(24 yrs divorced) and she has done that with his children who are now adults. My mother in law was divorced in 1955 from my father in law(2nd husband out of 8). When he was dying with cancer a few years ago she was still very ugly about him. I am just thankful my husband never held the resentments against his dad.

Open your arems to your own father Angelina as you do to the world of strangers you take special measure in meet ing all the time.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments