Let's Get This Party Started: Top Stories for Sunday 07/23/06

7/23/2006 11:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah may have denied last week that she and BFF Gayle King were gay to the entire world to try and squelch rumors, but the plan may have backfired.

PR mavens are buzzing today that Oprah should've just kept her mouth shut and let the speculation fade away.

"There must be a billion people who would have never even suspected it," says publicity legend Bobby Zarem, in Page Six. "This brings attention to something that the average person never thought about. It's a huge, huge mistake." What's more, the talk-show queen's high-profile denial provided plenty of fodder for the cable-news pundits on which to riff -- and not in a nice way. "When did we reach the place where celebrities feel the need to announce this?" asked MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

Whatever her strategy, Oprah's fanned the flames (no pun intended), and lots of her fans who'd never even heard those rumors in the first place are now contemplating whether they may be true.

Star's Stained Reputation

Star Jones should watch where she sits. According to Ben Widdicombe this morning, she stained two white couches with body makeup during a July 4 bash in the Hamptons-and hostess Claudia Cohen (ex-Mrs. Ron Perelman) just got hit with the $1,500 bill. An eyewitness reportedly saw Jones "very heavily, professionally made up" at the party, and fingered her as the culprit, Gatecrasher's source reports. The source also did say it's possible that the stains came from someone else at the party wearing a lot of self-tanner that hadn't set yet. As TMZ.com previously reported, it was at that same party that Star freaked out when her Range Rover was one of the last two cars allowed out by the valets because of a parking ticket mix-up. Maybe she had a reason to want to ditch the party post-haste.

Tina Fey Wants Off SNL, Takes Fellow Cast Member With Her

It's quittin' time at "Saturday Night Live" for Tina Fey. Fey announced Friday night on Jay Leno's Tonight Show that she's leaving SNL, where she's been head writer and co-anchor of "Weekend Update" for six seasons after joining the cast in 1997. She's moving on to produce her own show, "30 Rock," which she'll also write and star in.

How does SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels feel about Fey's departure? He's none too pleased: "If you're asking if I'm happy about it, no," Michaels told the Associated Press. "Tina disappearing is a huge hole in the writing staff." Fey's co-star Rachel Dratch (known for, among other things, her dead-on imitation of "Ally McBeal" star Calista Flockheart) is also leaving the show, so Michaels has hiring to do before next season. Maybe he'll be able to convince Andy Samberg's new girlfriend Kirsten Dunst to fill in.

Kat Out of Bag for Axl's New Galpal

Ah what a tangled web we weave: Axl Rose has gone from getting in nightclub fights with Tommy Hilfiger to reportedly getting involved with the friend of Tommy's adopted brother's ex-wife, says Page Six. Hot young model Kat Mack and the pugilistic rocker have been dating for three weeks, and Mack has been showing up at Guns 'n' Roses shows around the world (most recently in Athens), then flying home to host parties like the recent "Sun Silk Party" at New York's Plumm.

Axl used to date Diane O'Connor, who was married to Michael Hilfiger, Tommy's brother, and it's rumored that the fight between Tommy and Axl was sparked by Axl's relationship with Diane. No word yet on whether Kat also has some unhealthily entangled alliances.

Olbermann Gets Stared Down By Best Bud O'Reilly

It's a good thing Keith Olbermann is as tall as Bill O'Reilly -- otherwise, according to Olbermann, O'Reilly would've gotten all up in his face at a recent fund-raiser.

When the two cable newsmen -- who have a long-running feud on-air -- attended the same event, MSNBC's Olbermann feared for his safety. "I swear to God, every time I looked up, he would suddenly look down. He was staring over at me," said Olbermann to assembled scribes at the Television Critics Association. "But we're about the same height, so I really don't think he's going to come talk to me. If I were about a foot shorter, I'm sure there would be a confrontation of some sort."

Olbermann also said that his phone number had been distributed at FOX News and that his email's been hacked into by his enemies at the network.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

KATIE

I think Keith Olbermann fuels this so called feud will Bill O'Reilly to help his ratings since they are lower.It's really not a big deal, they both have totally different perspectives. Why should either of them care what the other one thinks?

the wise old owl

INSIDE HOLLYWOOD, as known for a long time about Oprah's preference for woman. I myself have known for about 8 years. A friend of mine was a guest on her show and came back with tales of over affectionate behavior Oprah displayed towards Gayle. It was very obious they were much more then FRIENDS.
INSIDE HOLLYWOOD, doesn't care if OPRAH is GAY. However, middle America might. Do you remember what happened when Ellen Degeneras came out ? Her show hit rock bottom. She may have been a stronger competition for Oprah on the talk show forum, if the public hadn't got wind of her sexual preference. There's only one OPRAH and although it wouldn't matter to me what or who she slept with. A lot of people still judge and they would turn on her.QUICK. This was most likely her fear and that is why she felt compelled to "MAKE AN ANNOUCEMENT " that she wasn't GAY. I think the writing on wall is pretty clear. STEDMAN is a beard , strategically placed to throw the public off , create an IMAGE while she carries on with whom ever. It's pretty much in everyone's face when they look at the past publicity photo's. Those pictures of her kissing Stedman look POSED and CONTRIVED. I personally think that , on the whole, it wouldn't effect her popularity if she just CAME OUT . She might lose a few audience members. But in this day and age most people are excepting of homosexuals and lesbians. GET A GRIP AMERICA. OPRAH IS GAY AND SO WHAT !!!!!!!

SKIP

GIVE UP KRISTY FOR THIS SECOND RATE BAD SINGER TO BE. TWO LOSERS AND ONE WINNER (KRISTY)

clinton

This Oprah stuff is stupid. I think she could shoot the Pope and survive it. If the James Frey crucification didn't hurt her image nothing will. By the time her show ends in 2011 she will have two billion dollars to play with in Africa for the rest of her life. WHO CARES.

Momma

Ask Gails ex-husband.

Jeff

PR mavens are also buzzing that Haley Joel Osment, Zeke Farrow and Daniel Baldwin faked their recent "accidents" in order to get publicity for their careers...it all sounds a bit far-fetched to me that three things like that would happen simultaneously.... http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/7/prweb414890.htm

GEROME MICHAELS

IS IT TRUE THAT GAYLE'S EX SUED PORAH FOR CAUSING THE BREAKUP OF HIS MARRIAGE SUCH AS SENDING GAYLE FLOWERS ON THE JOB , SHOPPING TRIPS , PERSONAL VALET SERVICE ETC... HE WENT ON TO SUE OPRAH FOR CAUSING THE MARRIAGE TO FAIL (hush, hush). REMEMBER WHEN JAMES BROWN PROPOSED MARRIAGE TO GAYLE ON HER SHOW WHO DO YOU THINK HOLLERED HELL NO FROM THE BACK ( name starts with a "O")?

Katerina

I never did get the whole Oprah thing to begin with. She's just one on-television chin wagger among hundreds spewing hot air to fill TV time. Her opinions are pedestrian and she probably doesn't believe half of what comes out of her mouth. It's rating$, baby. Rating$. Nevertheless, she has a right to sleep with whomever she wants. That's no one's else's business.

the wise old owl

This is for post #6 Julia C. Accidents of that type have to be filed with the Police Dept.. A detailed accident report has to be filled out and I'm sure it is a matter of public record should you want verification Let's hope these personalities aren't that desperate for PUBLICITY. If they are, then their carrers are pretty much over to resort to those type of tactics. They would get a lot more publicty if they took off their pants and walked down the beach half naked.

the wise old owl

OBBERMANN SOUNDS LIKE HE'S PARANOID. This seems to me like a little professional rivalry
. Maybe he's smoking too much pot It could be lack of sleep. I sincerely doubt that O'Reilly is giving out his personal information or hacking into his E-mail. GET A GRIP. I think he has better things to do with his time. Obbberman sounds like he's flattering himself by thinking Bill would be that obsessed with him.

Lovely Nettie

I don't think sexual orientation has anything to do with one's ability and talent.
If Oprah is gay, by-sexual, so what and who cares. People should leave bedroom behavior alone. I am sorry Oprah stooped so low into the hands of nobody business.

jolie fan

I really doubt Oprah`s ratings would fall if she were to tell america she was gay. People love her and she can do no wrong. She gives more money to charities than most celebrities. She has done so much for so many people, and for that she should be praised. My only problem with oprah is that she turned her back on Angelina Jolie, a woman who has done more to help africa than maybe even Oprah has. Like most people Oprah is judging Angelina on what the tabloids print. I`m sure Oprah will spend the rest of her life helping people, a very commendable thing. I am also sure that Angelina will spend the rest of her life helping the poor desperate people of africa, also a very commendable thing. I am also sure Oprah will never have Angelina or Brad on her show. People won`t care if Oprah is gay. But for some reason they are appalled by the fact that Angelina has been with another woman. I don`t care if Angelina has been with another woman, I am jealous that she is with Brad Pitt. Very very jealous!
Maybe Oprah and Gayle are gay, and are just trying to find out how people feel about it before they come out. Or maybe she was just trying to boost sales of her magazine. Who cares if they are gay!

Julie

Well sorry Paris, but I can't say that I feel sorry for you at all with the way that you trash people in public to the paparazzi. Gee, does it hurt your feelings to have people publicly trash you? Now you know how Im sure Lindsay Lohan must feel after the way you have trashed her. But if i was Lindsay I wouldnt care because at least she earned her way in the world..Nobody would even know who you are if you hadn't been born with a silver spoon or jumped in the spotlight by your party girl aka whorish ways. So take a bow baby, you have done this to yourself. The only person we should and will feel sorry for are your parents for having to face the embarrassment of claiming you as their daughter

POOPER SCOOPER

There is no doubt in my mind that Oprah is a carpet muncher. All the signs are there.

the wise old owl

I AGREE WITH ROBERT : post # 23. ALL THE SIGNS ARE THERE. JUST COME OUT OF THE ETHER AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

I OPRAH,.....AM A LESBIAN.........BIG DEAL.......I AM GIVING ........ I AM LOVING........
I GIVE LOTS OF MY MONEY TO CHARITABLE CAUSES...... I AM IN LOVE WITH A WOMAN.........NOT A MAN.........I FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CHARACTER AND THE PERSON ........ NOT THE SEX........... NOW MOVE ON !!!!! The sooner we all get over the HYPE of it all, the sooner this whole fiiasco will END !!!!!!!

If I had been raped and abused as a child , just as OPRAH was . The last thing I would want to see before I went to bed at night. Would be a PENIS. Yes Gayle is looking quite good to me , ( if I was Oprah )
Gayle wouldn't be the 1st wife to leave her husband for ANOTHER WOMAN . I know plenty of woman who have changed their mind, mid-stream, and realized that they prefer a WOMAN over a MAN.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments