I'll Take Sarcasm for $300, Alex

7/25/2006 8:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ken JenningsKen Jennings, who won $2.5 million during a 74-game winning streak on "Jeopardy," has written a tongue-in-cheek advice letter to the long-running game show.

While initial reports portrayed the missive as a slap against the show, Jennings' musings are actually more funny than mean-spirited.

Here are a few bits from ken-jennnings.com:

Maybe when Art Fleming was alive, America just couldn't get enough clues about "Botany" and "Ballet" and "The Renaissance," but come on. Does every freaking category have to be some effete left-coast crap nobody's heard of, like "Opera," or, um, "U.S. History" or whatever? I mean wake me up when you come up with something that middle America actually cares about. I think it would rule if, just one time, Alex had to read off a board like:

* PlayStation
* The Arby's 5-for-$5.95 Value Menu
* Reality TV
* Men's Magazines
* Skanks from Reality TV Who Got Naked in Men's Magazines
* Potpourri

Does that really sound like the ramblings of a man completely digusted by the show that made him famous?

And then there's this ...

Why are there no physical challenges? It doesn't have to be Nickelodeon déclassé, buckets of green ooze falling from the ceiling. It could be tasteful and restrained. Like, if you know the answer, you have to run from your podium to the gameboard, jump up to touch the clue in question, and give the answer. "What is an Arby-Q?" Then you run back to your podium to select again. Some of these contestants, frankly, could use the exercise. Oh, also, there are angry bees.

Ken then signs off on his alleged hate letter to Alex and crew with the following.

You and I have a lot of history, Jeopardy! You know I think the world of you...you're putting my kids through college, for crying out loud! So I think I can be open with you in a way that others just can't. I hope you take this advice in the spirit in which it was offered. Remember, I only criticize because I...

Love,

Ken

XOXOXO

Barbara Lines-Buoye

He's about to release a book in September and merely looking for some public hype to insure the success of his writings.

Reality Check

You guys are missing the point. Let go of his intention for a minute (which I addressed in my previous comment), and recognize there is nothing funny about saying a man was killed a in truck crash. Nor is there anything to be benefited by questioning the intelligence of mainstream America by claiming EVERYONE would be more familiar with a category about "Skanks who Pose in Magazines for Men" than Jeopardy's more traditional topics. People who laugh at jokes like that are more or less laughing at themselves.

On a separate note, that was a great point for those of you who called attention to his impending book. Publicity stunts such as these are tasteless at best.

Paula

I agree with this previous poster's comments: "I thought it was funny. Not hilarious, but clever, droll and amusing. I've been visiting his site for a while now and he's clever, snarky, uncannily observant, and a very self-deprecating man."

I watched Jeopardy for Ken's entire run and thought he had a certain flair for wry, dry humor. This letter proved it.
Tongue in cheek, people!

...

I actually think some of his "missive" is pretty funny, but one questions kept coming to mind: WHY NOW? It's been quite awhile since he won on the show -- is he promoting something? Maybe he was doin' Alex Trebec on the side (I understand he's "married" -- nudge nudge, wink wink) and they had a lover's tiff... Or did he just now realize that his 15 minutes are officially over.

casey

Just another ugly inbred Mormon guy. There's a million of them here in SLC.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2