Miss Universe Goes Down

7/25/2006 11:36 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Miss Universe Collapses: Click to watchJust minutes after being crowned the new Miss Universe, Zuleyka Mendoza Rivera of Puerto Rico, fainted on stage. A Colombian television station caught the action on camera.

Citing a dress made entirely of metal chains and the hot lights of the auditorium as a reason for the collapse, a pageant spokeswoman said she was given liquids and quickly recovered.

When asked by Colombian press waiting for Rivera in her hotel lobby how she was feeling she smiled and said, "Hola! Un beso para Colombia!"

The 18 year-old beat out 85 other contestants from around the world for the crown.

MMELANIE PATTERSON

Gosh, I wonder if her collapse had anything to do with the fact that NONE of those girl's looked like they had eaten anything for days. They all looked malnourished and anorexic. And we wonder why the young girl's of today suffer with so many eating issues. I'm all for lean and fit but this was over the top.

Jeff

You're so right, Alonzo! And also, you should ask your doctor about your fungal nail infection before it gets worse! I mean, you really should! http://www.lamisil.com/index.jsp?source=01025&campaign=LMT-9495&site=100012&placement=100041&creative=103202&checked=y

Teesa

She needs to eat a sandwich.

ronald

most likely she fainthed cause had so many people all arround her not letting her get fresh air

pinupcutie

Right on Melanie! My sentiments exactly!

the wise old owl

I agree with post #2. Lack of food, the excitiment, dehydration, the heat they all played a factor in that incident. BUT FOR SURE NOT EATING WAS A MAJOR CONTIBUTOR of her fainting spell. The compitition is fierce in these beauty pageants. I competed in a Miss California Pageant and lost 7 lbs in one week rehursing and trying to stay up to snuff with the other contestants. IT WAS BRUTAL. I recall one of the past title holders gaining 60 POUNDS after the pageant was over and DONALD TRUMP went balistic. A lot of these contestants are not ment to weigh in at 105 lbs when they are 5'10" TALL. No wonder she fainted. I am surprised she didn't have a HEART ATTACK.

Natalicious

THis may be off the subject but, the new Miss Universe looks ALOT like Micheal Jackson! Am I the only on that notices that, the nose, the creamy looking skin..she is The GLOVED ONE!! He's making a comeback!

Heather

I think she realized now that she won she could eat, so she passed out, they took her off stage, and probably hooked her up to a feeding tube!