Take THAT, Emmys!

7/25/2006 1:46 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

What do the two most famously-snubbed Emmy contenders -- "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" -- have in common? They're both on ABC, of course. And apparently the net is so upset about those shows getting passed over (even though they scored more nods than any other broadcast network) that ABC is counter-programming the Emmy ceremony by airing "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."

According to the Hollywood Reporter, ABC will air the first "Pirates" film on August 27, while NBC will be airing the Emmys at the same time. ABC and USA paid in excess of $20 million for the right to broadcast the film that spawned the biggest movie of 2006.

Conan O'Brien, who is hosting this year's telecast, joked about the move in an interview on Monday.

"Yeah, I'm actually feeling like this is an attack on me," O'Brien said. "And so I'd like to announce that we're going to counterprogram with the second 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie. I've gotten Disney's permission to take my poor-quality bootleg and project it on a wall of the Shrine Auditorium sometime about mid-show. We're gonna wind up losing about 15 categories, but I feel like it's worth it."

Samantha

[laughs] I was wondering why the people above me would rather watch the first Pirates movie on TV? You guys probably have the movie on DVD or VHS anyway.

Bobbi Jo

WHAT CAN I SAY?
JOHNNY......OR THE EMMYS.......HMMMMM.....I WONDER....
JOHNNY SHOULD TAKE THE SCREEN. I THINK HE IS
THE ONLY ONE THAT EVER COULD. WHAT DOES
JOHNNY HAVE THAT THE EMMYS DO NOT????
EXCITEMENT, GRACE, TALENT, INTRIGUE, SUSPENSE,
COMEDY......NEED I SAY MORE. JOHNNY BY FAR THE
NUMBER ONE CHOICE, HANDS DOWN!!!

NOMINATED, WINNING OR NOT.......
JOHNNY TAKES THE TROPHY EVERY TIME!!!!

GO JOHNNY DIPPITY DAWG YOU'RE THE BEST!

LOVE, SUPPORT AND WISHING YOU THE BEST IN ALL THAT YOU
DO ON THE SCREEN AND OFF.

YOU'VE EARNED IT MY FRIEND, WELL DESERVED!!!

SWEETBJ

GJ

I don't see how desperate housewives could not win.

Alayna

GJ - get a life.

?

Good for ABC! Blown away 'Lost' was ignored. While not a huge fan of the Housewives since it became a drama, 'Lost' just got better this year. Would watch Pirates' movie anytime over this years' Emmy awards though I do hope '24' sweeps it now. Don't care for Conan anyway.

Jinxy Cat

I am all for Johnny Depp...........Emmy's are SO frickin'' BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll take a pirate anyday over predictable Emmy crap.

lsb

I think it's great, I'll watch the Pirates any day over the Emmys,
nothing but a bunch of industry people patting themselves on the back.
If viewers were voting things would be different.

tte

I guess this could be called the 'Black Pearly Gate' snub affair.