Singers Channel Their Inner Jekyll & Hyde

7/26/2006 8:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

While it's expected for rappers to have musical alter-egos - think Marshall Mathers/Eminem or Sean Combs/Puffy/Puff Daddy/P.Diddy/Diddy - lately even pop powerhouses like Beyoncé and Christina Aguilera have created liberating personas to give them that extra attitude and stage presence.
Christina Aguilera and Beyonce
Beyoncé

Ever since going solo, Beyoncé says she's channeled a diva she calls Sasha and reveals "For the first time, I wasn't afraid. I wasn't limited." During her years with Destiny's Child, Beyoncé "didn't think it was appropriate to let Sasha out." While it was Sasha who performed with Prince at the 2004 Grammys, Beyonce claims to have been "horrified" after watching how domineering Sasha was during their duet. No word on how the divo himself, aka the artist currently known as Prince, felt about his pairing with Miss Sasha.Beyonce w/ Prince at the 2004 Grammys

Mary J. Blige

Mary J.Blige, the queen of hip-hop soul, goes so far as to credit her alter-ego, Brook-Lyn, in her latest song "Enough Cryin'". Mary created rapper Brook-Lyn to give her lyrical freedom "I had to separate the two because Mary is nice, you know, intelligent. Brook-Lyn is crazy, ignorant and she don't care." Note to Blige: them are fightin' words!
Mary J. Blige
Christina Aguilera

Mousketeer gone "Dirrty" Christina Aguilera morphed into her scantily clad doppleganger Xtina on her last album. For her upcoming CD "Back to Basics", Aguilera has created yet another character. This time her latest incarnation resembles an old Hollywood siren and goes by the name of Baby Jane. Christina says "I am Miss Baby Jane. I'm not going to tell you why I have that nickname....It's still me, but me at this place in my life." Whatever you say Chrissy.
Christina Aguilera
Garth Brooks

Regardless of what you may think of Sasha or Baby Jane's antics, nothing compares to Garth Brooks' sad attempt at, well, we're not quite sure what he was attempting. Brooks not only created an alter-ego with a full back story, but also released an album entitled "The Life of Chris Gaines", a TV special and appeared on "SNL" under the failed alias of Chris Gaines. The 1999 debacle saw the country crooner transform into a leather clad, goateed alt-rocker with a shag haircut. Luckily, Garth's bout with temporary insanity came and went and Chris Gaines was never heard from again.

Garth Brooks and Chris Gaines

openminded

Maybe Beyonce should call herself Tammy Faye because the hair do she is sporting now reminds me of the Hair style Tammy sports. If people don't believe me go to youtube and watch Donnie Mclurkins "stand" video. Beyonce and Tammy looks alike. ha ha ha

Vixen

I've got one myself....her name is Vixen and when she's out its normally to take care of hard business since I have to help run a race team and and a new business...my regular self would crumble under pressure without her. Since all that stuff takes up 90% of my time, the other side seems to be getting smaller.

Tracy

Is it me, or does Christina Aguilera have photosynthesis boobs? Because they seem to get larger under flashbulbs.

brandie

its nice to know that celibrities or crack pots too when ur rich the cakk it eccentric but when ur poor hell ur ready for a str8 jacket ain't that some shit

Shon

It's okay to motivate yourself or psych yourself up to perform, but remember that it's still that person performing. When they get off the stage fans are going to say what the *#@! was wrong with Beyonce. She's just out of control. Or what was Christina thinking. As celebrities it doesn't matter who they think they are it's the fans and the public that are going to remember them as who they really are. Alter egos are part of who they are. Personally I think Beyonce is out of control. If she was just a regular girl in the street to me she would be one big skank!!!!!

BH

Rather she consider's herself "Beyonce" or "Sasha" she's very fit, beauitful, sexy, and classy........ well to sum her all up, the SISTER HAS SKILLS!!!!

And to the person that commented about her explaination to GOD come judgement day, do you dare to believe you are perfect and without some sin? There is a time for EVERYTHING. STOP HATING!

jinawright

And all of you all with comments, still watch their videos and listen to their music.....are your alter-egos making you watch their videos and listen to their music? then you realize that you've watched and listenend, and the real you comes back out and post these crazy ass comments. These women are doing their thing, let em' do it. If you really wanna go all the way, why not question George Bush's alias, or Malcom X, or Pattie Labelle, or Jamie Foxx or every other famous person with an alias...goodness people!!!!!! I mean really....what difference does it really make? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!

Applepiepastry

First of all, all of these celebrities created alter egos so that they could feel more comforatable on stage, not so they could blame any bad behavior on them. It's hard being a celebrity and getting in front of millions of people to sing a song, so if this is the best way that they could feel comfortable doing that, they I give them all the kudos in the world. Haven't you ever been in a situation where you wished that you were somebody else? Or I'm pretty sure you've had a situation where you pretended to be someone else just for a quick moment, and felt liberated doing it. That's all these celebs are trying to achieve--the best stage presence for their fans.

Applepiepastry

MZZTLOVE

YOU NEED A ALTER EGO TO DEAL WITH SOME OF THE BS THAT THIS WORLD THROWS AT YOU.. PEOPLE THINK IT'S EASY PLEASING EVERYBODY, BUT IT'S NOT... FOR ME MZZTLOVE IS THE EGO I WISH MY EVERYDAY PERSON WAS MORE LIKE... THEN I WOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE IGNORANT FOLK TRYING TO KNOCK ME OFF MY SQUARE... LOLOL GO HEAD SASHA OOPS I MEAN BEYONCE.. HAHAHA

Tonya

As far as split-personalities go,how many do u need(beyonce)? I thought ,cool with the first diva(Sasha). But who in da hell was that in the De Ja Vou video! You just basically showed everybody what u do to ur man in the bedroom, and basically u looked like a dam video ho.I thought u were old enough now to know that u don't have to do all of that to impress fans,they already like ur music.The next time your old ass boyfriend wants to make a sex video, do it privately, and don't put yourself out like dat for him and nobody else.Rap videos have enough of dat shit! You are very talented, and u should'nt have 2 come up with all these personalities just to do some crazy shit like that. It just seemed way out of your character and made u look like a little slut! SEXY///// SLUTTY//// 2 totally different words. Keep it in da bedroom!!!!!!!!!!

wendy

WHO CARES, I AM SO SICK OF MISS BEYONCE AND SO ARE MY OTHER FRIENDS..

Mari

Stop hating on BeyondCe.
I think she goes above and beyond what people are expecting of any performer. It doesn't matter if it's Beyonce or Sasha she delivers every time, she does not fit into the one mold that everyone else is poping out of. The others should appreciate her many creative talents from the runway to the stage to the big screen. She is our Diana Ross, Lena Horne, Debbie Allen, Aretha Franklin and Tina Turner all rolled in one, and when she starts writing books It's OvEr!!!

crystal

it it quite obvious that these celebrities are channeling something alright. Take for exampl my gurl Beyonce, while she was on destiny's child she was all sweet and a role modell for the kids. But now i dont whats gotten in to her. her performances are all so trashy , and i think she should tone it down a bit , b'cuz little kids are still watching.

Uniquetee

I want to know which one she is when Jay gets in them guts? What name does he call her. Or is he bond & tied. And can't speak? LoL

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments