Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

pat

Its not the place of any one to judge what happened. Everyone has done things they regret and if they say they havent ..well i dont believe them. Be careful of who you judge it may just come home to you. He made a mistake ..so what we have all made them. He made the statements when he was drunk. No one can say if he really feels that way. Drunks hallucinate and they also say things that they didnt mean. We were not there ..its not our concern.

Art P.

Do you know who I am? I am Mel Gibson!

I own Maiibu!

I could have your job. I could eat you for lunch you Jew Bastard.

Paid for by Mel Gibson.

R. Wenz

What Mel did is really unfortunate, but as anyone knows, who has been intoxicated, the alcohol loosens both the thought process and behavior. The bad behavior is one thing, but what he said is probably what he really thinks on a base level. He really does think those things are true. He has a little bit of personal work ahead of him. Not unlike a lot of "holier than thou" persons expounding on their disbelief. Maybe it's a good time for those lining up with stones to consider, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
No excusing Mel's bad behavior and bigoted commentary. But I will keep in mind he is a good actor, a good director and I have enjoyed his contributions to entertainment. Forgiveness should be available when Mel shows us a little good honest remorse and pulls himself together.

Art P.

Whose kidding who here? And when are the clowns gonna leave the carnaval?

I see you like you see me.

That is the way it is Mel. Live it, Love it. Learn it Road Warrior.

Art P.

When you drink you amplify the truth.

Talk to the real alcoholics.

Talk to Mel.

Mark

The irony in this is that such a bigot received free press. People soon forget and his behavior, as despicable, bigot and unacceptable plastered his name all over the country... I bet his next movie, regardless of the theme or quality will be a huge box office success.... I guess we are the morons! The best way to act about people like him is to totally ignore them

Art P.

It's not the place to judge.

Ever been judged?

Mel needs a judge.

He obvious thinks his balls are big enough.

Jan Whisler

My own personal opinion is the fact of what he did or others do in their private lives should be private. I think the news media stinks and all they do is play up another one as always. Are we so stupid to think that someone cannot make mistakes at times and how would any of us in our lives like to have it played over and over again for something we were ashamed of doing. Making the big bucks doesn't always mean we have to have others judge us for whatever we do. Tell me that we all haven't made mistakes in our lives and would we want to have it played over and over again?

I think it all stinks and as always the news media overplays just because they want to make big bucks and stick their noses into others lives.
Nothing other than trying to make more money. Isn't that what is always all about more big "Bucks" for sensationalism??? Judge not lest ye be judged. I like him even better, how does that one sound? Just leave it to NBC, or MSNBC to try with better ratings. Bill O'Reilly said it very well on "Fox News" last night and they are #1 in the ratings. No wonder is it? At least he doesn't give it the spin. Now I wonder how this rating will be and if even bothered to be read at anytime. It felt good anyway for a bunch of illiterates who think they are giving us their best. It did just the opposite for me. Made me like him better and he is still a good person/actor to me.

Darrell

After reading only the first 14 or so comments I felt compelled to offer my unsolicited two cents as well. One thing I am seeing is someone Jewish post something then someone of a different faith respond....back and forth, back and forth, back an.....okay you get the picture. From the "......I'll never watch another one of your films...." to "....How dare they say those awful lies....", one thing you are all missing is THIS IS MEL GIBSON. Whether he falls by the wayside or is brought on high, he will come out on top somehow. Look at Robert Downey, Jr. He was found, drugged and naked, by some family and is still making movies, still appearing in television shows, and is still the talk of all the tabloids. Robert can't even carry Mel's shoes and it's like all is forgiven for his escapades. Yes, what Mr. Gibson did was wrong. Yes he should be punished as any one of us would have been. I have never met Mr. Gibson, but the punishment he will endure won't come from falling ticket sales or comments he reads on this site nor others like it. His punishment will be much worse than anything we could do to him. Leave the man to himself.

Art P.

Come now people. Give the guy a break.

Whatever. There are plenty of people that can do what he does better.

We can get rid of him and find someone who can behave.

We don't need to have sympathy for idols.

He had plenty of chances before the old age of 50 to pull this stunt.

He needs to be put in his place HARD.

No freebies for the worshiped.

We all make mistakes. TRUE.

Mel can live with his off the air.

Mel can pay like all the others before him.

Mel can go work a McDonalds drive-thru.

There are plenty of hard working LOVING. RESPONSIBLE people beside

Anti-Semitic MEL GIBSON.

ROAD WARRIOR

B. Sara

While searching for police records in the Gibson place, officers found a historical parchment chronicalling Jesus H. Christ's own run in with the law:

SUBJECT APPROACHED ON LEFT SIDE OF DONKEY. SUBJECT, J. CHRIST, DISHEVELED, UNSHAVED, AND ODORS EMINATED FROM LEATHER SATCHEL. OPENED BOTTLE OF WATER FOUND IN SATCHEL. OFFICER NOTED CHANGED TO RED WINE DURING ARREST. SUBJECT'S BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL IVXII OVER NORMAL. SUBJECT SPOKE, " I'M F$%% RUINED. MOTHER F@$%%. I MOTHER F#%^% OWN NAZARETH! F#%^% ZOROASTRIANS F%$#@ CAUSED ALL WARS. ARE YOU ZOROASTRIAN?"

Come on, Mel, WWJD?

Art P.

Come now people. Give the guy a break.

Whatever. There are plenty of people that can do what he does better.

We can get rid of him and find someone who can behave.

We don't need to have sympathy for idols.

He had plenty of chances before the old age of 50 to pull this stunt.

He needs to be put in his place HARD.

No freebies for the worshiped.

We all make mistakes. TRUE.

Mel can live with his off the air.

Mel can pay like all the others before him.

Mel can go work a McDonalds drive-thru.

There are plenty of hard working LOVING. RESPONSIBLE people beside

Anti-Semitic MEL GIBSON.

ROAD WARRIOR

Sandra

Eh, who cares. Everyone makes mistakes. I forgive him. It's not like this has happened before and his apology seems really sincere. And just an observation: if you have beef with him because of Jesus being a Jew or whatever, then I am assuming that you are a believer in God, and if that's the case, you might want to forgive him, as you said God probably would too (depending upon your beliefs). Either way, hate is not cool. Even if he did (which in my opinion, he did not) then don't do the same thing....

Besides, he is just a PERSON. And every single one of you who wrote something has screwed up before, I am SURE. Who cares??? He's just another dude who made a mistake. Big F***ing deal!!

JOB

Well, IM not a religious person..So Jews, Christians, Muslims, ECT are Juged as I juge all people. On their charture..Yea mel F*%ked up!
But at least he apologized...I have battled alcohol in my life, It is no excuse for cretin behaviors though. I think this guy has some mental problems, Stress, Depression Anger issues? But if he was a friend of yours wouldn't you try to help him? Let's not be to quick to condem him.

Denise

So--now his true colors are leaking through...he has no one to blame but himself. Can't blame it on the media or the BOOZE cause we've all had a cocktail too many and the truth shines through...and what Bozo blathered whilst wasted-driving around-endangering everyone on the road...was that he hates JEWS...The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
He's clearly delusional and sports the old Christ complex--delusions of grandeur.

With great power comes great responsibility-and Mel knows the power he has with his conduct in public and a rational and intelligent person would not rant and rave bigoted, inflammatory remarks-particularly at this volatile time with the situation over in the middle east.

Free speech or not--hate crimes-(which include the utterance of racial remarks) is a CRIME and is hurtful and in high contrast to the fact that Jesus was a JEW.

Mel Gibson is a hypocrite and this is not some new revelation about Mel. There's been plenty of speculation and rumors to this effect for a long time and it's one thing to think someone's an A-hole and quite another thing for Mel to open his drunken booze breath DUI mouth and PROVE it.
His Father is a Nazi sympathizer and Mel is too.

Just by saying, "Sorry. I didn't mean it" is not acceptable or reason to excuse his belligerence...any more than it is acceptable for a drunken wife beater to utter his own morning-after apologies.

he apologized clearly because doing so is what common sense dictates in order to salvage what's left of his tainted reputation/career. It's all about bucks and power...so the man who claims to "own Malibu" may as well have stated he is Malibu Barbie --his apology is BUNK.

Mel's a disgrace to the Human race.

Jesus wept.