Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

Jackie

Mel Gibson has taught us all a lesson here in the US you can call Blacks, Spanish or Asians names like Tony Snow did and Romeny did with no problem.
But if you say something bad about Jewish people your finished even with an apology. Now no apology needed for any other race just get over it and move on. Like Barbara Walters said maybe Mel could be given if he built a synagogue then she might forgive him. A lesson to us all if you say a bad word to a Jewish person you will not be forgiven only God forgives. But if you have enough money to give you just might be let off the hook. I say never ever do or say anything against Jewish people and follow their lead who cares about others only the Jewish people. Maybe America can give this land to Israel that might make people show more respect and loyalty to Jewish people. Look Lebanon and Palestine are losing land and people because they didn't listen to Israel. People should read the bible to understand the all Jewish people are the chosen people of God and should be followed and taken care of. Once we learn that maybe there can be some peace. So Mel and others learn this never say or think anything bad about Jewish people because it is the biggest sin of all.

Alane Wallace

You all should get a life. Mel's just an actor, not anybody important....like your Mom!

AJ

Why is it that when a person who has religious beliefs makes a mistake it ruins his life and people hate them for it. Mel made a mistake, like everybody else does and is now hated by everyone. I think is bull because he apologized and he is going to have to live with what he's done, so let the man be.

mel-gibson90

We still love you, Mel!!! For ever and ever

We should forgive and forget

Mark

Mel Gibson lets make movies with my cheap homeless video camera so
I could use extra cash to get us beer!
Email me > Mark2007usa@yahoo.com

Michelle

You have got to be kidding me! Who are all you saints? Have you never, in your life, done something that you were ashamed of? Said something that you really didn't mean, out of anger over something unrelated to what you are saying? Have you never asked for forgiveness? I am quite sure Jesus has heard Mr. Gibson's apologies and has forgiven him and has moved on to forgiving all of you for bashing, judging, hating, etc. etc.

Its a shame that fame means you can't make a mistake or be forgiven.

Mr. Gibson, my prayers and thoughts are with you, your wife and your children. I hope your recovery is a successful one. And please know, that your true fans will always support you.

RoxyRoller

Harvey,

I saw you last night on CNN speaking about how you had petitioned the court to get a copy of the police video of Mel. You said that the tape would REALLY damage him. From the look on your face and the tone of your voice, it was obvious that you would like nothing more than to destroy the man! Now, I don't agree, in any way, with the comments he made but...I don't think your desire and determination to destroy the man goes a long way to proving Jews aren't the grudge-bearing, battle-hungry people he accused you of being. I have seen many quotes from high level Hollywood Jews about how they will never forgive him and no amount of remorse or retribution will change that! It seems to me that you are only appearing to confirm the comments. How can your response to an accusation of battle-hungriness be to come out ready for battle? If he had made these comments about my religion, as a whole, I'm confident that representatives of my church would have dismissed the claims and and said "God bless him"! I'd say that's the best defense to an accusation of hatred. Trying to destroy a man brings nothing positive for anyone and seeks to further alienate different groups from one another! This attitude of hatred, unforgiveness and retaliation IS the reason for all the wars going on in the world. It's not a Jewish trait, by any means, but it is what fuels the continued destruction of mankind by it's own. People of all religions need to learn to accept, forgive and get on with changing things for the better !!

irish

MEL GIBSON'S CAREER IS NOT OVER....MEL HAS HIS OWN PRODUCTION COMPANY FOR MAKING MOVIES, AND AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE POSTS ON THESE BOARDS..MEL STILL HAS A FOLLOWING...PPL ARE SHORT TERM MEMORIED......THEY FORGET....IF THIS IS NOT TRUE, WHY IS TEDDY KENNEDY SITTING ON HIS FAT ASS IN CONGRESS?

Laura

I'd like to comment on the reactions to Mel's tirade. I agree his comments were unfounded, hateful and despicable. However, I also have a problem with the reactions to him being hateful themselves. How do you react to a man's hatefulness with hatred yourself? If you stop and look back at yourself and how you feel about this situation, you'll see how easy it is to feel anger and hatred and perhaps you can gain even a small semblance of understanding. Let's not let ourselves engage in the same behaviour we're condemning him for !!!!!!!!!!!!!

D. Morcroft

So what, everyone has a right to their beliefs. How many people reading this have not gotten drunk and made an ass of themselves? I also think Jews are on everyones mind now considering what is going on in Lebanon, I am not anti-semetic but can see myself becoming that way if they continue with this.

Allen Burns

Jesus was an orthodox Jew.
Not the unorthodox ones that spew Hollywood smut.

Mary

LOL everyone needs to get off mels ass the only reason ANYONE is talking mad sh*t is because he's famous and hes suppose to be an example to others blah blah blah well he makes movies hes bothered by ppl most likely everyday taking his pics asking for autographs and more annoying sh*t like that who cares if he made those stupid comments first of all he was drunk not that ne one should pitty him for that bc that is his own fault no one should rub it in his face about what he said or make it a big deal they should inspire him to get his drunk ass some help instead of hurting him more. if it were an ordinary person saying they hate jews,whites or blacks the sh*t wouldnt even be a big deal so who f*cking cares what he said. no one in this world is perfect even thechristians who *try* to preach good things onto others ..........

just worried about hate

This incident is unfortunate. The officer was just doing his duty, Mr. Gibson was a danger to himself as well as others. In this case, as I think senior officers felt this should have been handled in a different manner. As not not to emply I approve of not arresting Mr. Gibson I feel a ride home in his own vehicle by an officer might have been a simpler less media crazed attention frenzied way of dealing with this problem as not to incite religious ferber,maybe a little community service with a wreckless driving charge.

Susan

No one is the same person drunk as they are sober. I don't approve of the drunk driving, But gee people, Why don't you all start ranting about the drinker in YOUR family. I forgive the man, He's human and entitled to screw up every now and then, Actually, Being WHO he is and Married with a large family for over 20 years, I commend him ! Grow up and stop complaining about someone else's problems. Bad publicity is NO publicity.
STILL LOVING MEL !!!!!

Brent

After 2000 years and billions of people harboring anti-sematism, can there be any truth to the allegations carelessly expressed by Mel?