Bulletin: Gibson Enters Recovery Program

7/31/2006 5:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonStar Magazine has confirmed that Mel Gibson has begun a recovery program.

Gibson's rep, Alan Nierob, exclusively tells Star, "He is in a program of recovery at this time."

Chris Prentiss, a neighbor of Gibson's and the co-founder of celebrity treatment centre Passages in Malibu, Calif., tells Star: "I understand he has gone to a treatment centre. The center that I've heard he's checked himself into follows the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program. And I don't believe that will help him."

Prentiss -- who refused to name the rehab center he's heard Gibson is in -- adds: "He needs individual intense therapy by a team of people who know what they are looking for in causes in alcoholism."

mike

I have sugar t**s. My lover calls them that every night. I take offense to those who thinks it's an insult, for me it is a statement of love.

Also, the Jews are at war right now as they usually are. That cease fire for 2 days didn't last very long. Mel is just frustrated with the relentless attacks of the Jewish people. He's been up close and personal with them, he's had to deal with the Jewish mafia in Hollywood for years.

jennie

well i'm sure his wife and family needs our prayers and support NOT our critizam of this behavior. i'm hoping this does not hurt him professional or emotionally to bad. i'm married to a recovering alcholic which "is a daily battle" all AA recoverers will tell you. SO MY PRAYERS AND LOVE ON HIS RECOVERY.

i'm jewish

AA won't address his anti-semitism. that's the real problem. he shouldn't be praised for gettinghelp for his drinking. that on his own head. good job taking responsibility for your action, you milksop--isn't that what everyone SHOULD do? why should he be praised? he should be reviled for being the disgusting, racist, anti-semitic pig that he is. forget rehab--he should be forced to visit every concentration camp in europe. he should have the experience of being locked in a "shower" room, not know what might come out of the showerheads. he should have to sift through the ashes and bone fragments of the dead. he should have to dig a hole the size of a mass grave in the frozen dirt. he should have to listen to thousands of hours of survivors bearing witness to the horrors of the holocaust. he should she be forced to write 12 million times "i am a hateful, bigoted, racist, anti-semite". he shpould be forced to wear a big swastika--or better yet--christ on a cross-- on his clothes that says "anti-semite" so that everyone can properly identify him. then perhaps he might learn some compassion and some tolerance and begin to understand how unforgivable his statements are.

do you think his god forgives him? is this the attitude that his god will applaud. is this a christian way to act? he is a hypocrite beyond hypocrisy. he should be excommunicated from the church for the hatred that has spewed from his lips. and then perhaps he might learn what repentence and tolerance is. once denied tolerance, he might regret not having shown it when he had the chance.

Passionate about Christ

Well, before I make another film about Christ, I think I oughta go and learn from Him ... How about I begin with "Blessed are the peacemakers"? Or, "Let your yea be yea and your nay nay"?

DMH

Nick C:

I assume you mean the reference to the Spanish language magazine. I didn't mean to imply that this was the fault of that magazine, nor that they condoned it; it happened to be printed in Spanish, and at the time (as I recall it) Mel had a hissy-fit when it was put on the record elsewhere. However, I didn't need to mention that detail, and understand why you could find that offensive. My apolgies...

i'm jewish

um, may i remind everyone that it was hezbollah, a notorious terrosist organization who attacked israel without warning. are we now supporting terrorists? why does mel care about israel anyway? i'm sure he';s happy to let the jews be destroyed by hezbollah--he probably funds hezbollah.

and sweetie, mel has made millions in his industry--quite a feat for an anti-semite considering the industry is run by the "jewish mafia" as you call them. you sound like you have a problem with jews too. do you feel personally frustrated and blame the jews for your failure?

mark

mel gibson said this said that who cares i think we are spending to much time on this again i ay WHO CARES HE SAID IT GET OVER IT

Lizette

Mel is a human being like the rest of us. Therefore, flawed like everybody else. He's got is glorious moments and big downfalls (he is not God). He has apologized and admitted is additions many times. Is the world not going to accept his apologies because he is a famous millionaire, give me a break. Make sure you have never made ANY mistakes in your life before you throw the first stone.

-S-

Haaha, the guy from PASSAGES...comments suggest a problematic perspective in and of themselves. I think Gibson's made a wise decision in going elsewhere.

AC

Mel Gibson's anti-semitism runs deep. These deep seated feelings were clearly nurtured by his father, who has publicly stated that the holocaust was mostly fiction. He not only needs to be in treatment for his alcohol addiction, but a course on tolerance wouldn't hurt either. I hope he gets the serious help he needs.

Tom

As a battling alcoholic (35 now, started at 12), I take some offense at the allegations/claims that his being drunk is what made him say these things. We fight every damn day to stay sober (some days are easier than others), and if I said something half as inflammatory as this to a police officer, logic alone would state that I'd expect to spend the night in lockup and have a very hard time with the judge. And I would feel that I deserved more poor treatment than that.

Now you know how I feel about alcoholics and personal responsibility. That said, celebrity brings with it enormous rewards and enormous challenges. I don't particularly care about any sob story about the pressure of being Mel Gibson, but I do understand personal (real or perceived) pressure as it pertains to alcohol. And I can only imagine it's worse (by an order of magnitude) for high-profile types. While I can't imagine saying ANY of these things in even the worst heights (or depths) of drunkeness I have experienced, I see this as a personal low for Mel Gibson. He obviously has a problem much more pervasive than the alcoholism, but whether he believes in what he said or not in his statement (I'd tend toward the former, sadly), he has bottomed out like so many addicts do. He's done something that jeopardizes the security and future of his family. Granted, it happens on a bigger scale there (I can't remember the last 300 million dollar check *I* cashed), but it's the same total collapse that most addicts experience at one time or other.

So don't let him off the hook (he said what he said, and that's still definitely his responsibility to deal with), but consider giving him a better chance to apologize after rehab and some soul searching. Honestly, there's no statement that can apologize for what he said to the cops, so I kind of feel like the Anti-Defamation League is just beating him down for publicity. Of course it's inadequate. Of course it sounds trite. But how would THEY phrase an apology after such a transgression? It would be great if none of us did terribly, offensively, apallingly dumb things (booze notwithstanding) in the first place, but that's sometimes what humans do (celebrity or not).

Don't just allow him to skate, but let him try to take some responsibility for this after he's had some rehab time to think rationally about what's happened. And moreover, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we extended this privilege to any non-celebrity prisoner, too. It's better to bring people back to society than to banish them, whether by ostracizing, imprisoning, or whatever.

Get off his back, please, let him try to recover, and let him try to fix it. Anyone in his dumb, stupid, bigot-toned, AND IRREVERSIBLE position would hope for such compassion. And really, if he screws it up after this, to hell with him.

In conclusion, I think I can say with some experience that his life is terrible right now: his family is worried and upset (his children don't know what to do or say in school or to their friends, and his wife is probably unspeakably furious at him for one or more of several reasons), his agent is understandably freaking out at him, his other handlers are wondering about their jobs, and so forth. So the pressure doesn't stop at the entrance to rehab, nor does it stop when you're done. There's plenty to do when you're out, and if he's a decent husband, father, and employer, he'll try his best to do it all. If he's not, then the whole process starts again, with less patience from EVERY person involved. A tougher nut to crack with every single trip through the process.

Being an addict stinks, but it's still your thing to control. So let him get a handle on it before he is officially judged for eternity. I personally hate what he said, and I (frankly) haven't agreed with many of his other comments about society, politics, and so on in the past. But again, being a boozer stinks, especially after you've fallen again. A deep breath among us all is in order, and it's up to him to take the next public step.

val

Oh God, get OVER this people!

I've heard my Jewish friends say HORRIBLE things about the muslims and arabs when they are NOT drunk AND have seen some of the most racist and stereotypical garbage come from Hollywood. And you're harping on a drunk man's comments? He apologized and is getting help for it. Leave the guy alone and fix on your own damn hypocritical selves.

SaveLA

Gee, just what hollywoods needs. Another alchoholic anti semitic loser. It's not as if thismoron could act either.

Sonam

i hate Mel Gibson. I am neither Christain Nor Jewish but i hate that old douche bag. Yah, after all those nasty comments he thinks it will be ok to apologize. he is sick. Sorry doesn't make a dead man Alive. Jacko.
anyway i hope his career(if any by now) dwindle like an ass. now a days people commit crime, murder, anti-semitism, whatever you name it, they have damn excuse for everything. "oh my father was abusive", "oh i live in such environment that i became a mugger", "Oh i was too drunk to think correct." Jackass, when you are drunk you tell the truth. now we know you true hypocrite color. Hope you never recover from drinking binge and hope you drink and rot to death.

B

I hate Mel Gibson .. and always knew he was anti-semitic.

Anyway, FYI .. the rehab center in Malibu, California is called Promises, not "Passages." I used to live in Malibu .. and about 90% of the celebrities that live in that town have stayed, at least once, at Promises.