Bulletin: Gibson Enters Recovery Program

7/31/2006 5:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonStar Magazine has confirmed that Mel Gibson has begun a recovery program.

Gibson's rep, Alan Nierob, exclusively tells Star, "He is in a program of recovery at this time."

Chris Prentiss, a neighbor of Gibson's and the co-founder of celebrity treatment centre Passages in Malibu, Calif., tells Star: "I understand he has gone to a treatment centre. The center that I've heard he's checked himself into follows the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program. And I don't believe that will help him."

Prentiss -- who refused to name the rehab center he's heard Gibson is in -- adds: "He needs individual intense therapy by a team of people who know what they are looking for in causes in alcoholism."

Soos

Mel's out of control. Who knew? I'm glad that he apologized. I'm more concerned about our political 'leaders' who don't have a clue about accountability for their actions and send other people's children to Iraq to die.
-Because the guy spewed garbage while under the influence doesn't make him a scumbag, it makes him human.

kat

he is such a loser! way to ruin your career and any respect people had for you you drunken snake!

Gayle Henderson

I think that Mr Gibson's comments are those ofan alcholic who truly needs help; I doubt this will
undo all the damage his Dad's prejudice has done to him. I am not surprised that these awful things
come out when he is drunk, this is common with someone who is dependent. Somewhere in his
heart, he knows these things are wrong....again, the outbursts when drunk. I have experienced
similiar things, but fortunately, as a Christian who does not hate Jews, I have tried to study the
entire word of the Bible, not just parts of it. Evidently Mel's Dad, picks out what he wants to believe.
God loves the Jews just as he loves the rest of us. The Bible plainly says that we are all to blame,
not any one particular group....it was Jesus destiny to die for us, to show us God's incredible love.....
And John 3:16 doesn't say, "God so loved Protestants, Catholics, Jews, Muslim." What it does
say is "God so loved THE WORLD that HE GAVE HIS SON....." So many places in the Bible,
God warns against anyone harming his people, Israel..... People need to leave judgement to God,
and just study and committ to their hearts what the Bible says, not what someone tells them it says.
We should forgive Mel and pray for him, but yes, he has a lot of work to do. Someone in there
is the real Mel that knows the truth about himself....let's pray he finds it.

shar

When I think of Mel Gibson I think of "The Passion of The Christ". I read articles about the movie after I watched it. Mel's movie saved alot of lost souls! He's lost and I hope he finds his way home. I, too, am an alcoholic. My Higher Power is God, and I get through the hard things in life by believing that "everything happens for a reason." I would like to think that Mel's Higher Power felt that falling off the wagon would help him help other people. I know this post sounds religous but I just wanted to share my views.

coco puff

Wow! I think more the word anti-Semitic is really overused in these blogs. I see more anti-Arab propaganda in the Jewish controlled media! One is almost lead to believe that all Arabs are terrorists and poor Israel stands alone amid them. Let's see, Israel has 450 fighter planes to lebanon's 0. Israel arrests and imprisons hundreds of Palestinians without trial. Israel's smart bombs land on civilians and the UN, OOOOPPPPPPSSSSS! And guess what? Whenever someone makes these true statements, they are ANTI-SEMITIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give these Arabs credit. They have one thing Israel will never have. A set of BALLS!

Tim

Well its not like he went off a bridge with a 13 year old girl in his car or anything.

He does seem a little stressed. Alcohol cant solve your problems

Dan

People I've spoken to,have heard Gibson in A.A meetings.They said he was an arrogant jerk.He's gettin what he deserves.

albrechtkrausse@gmail.com

I'm sick of the misuse of the term "anti-semite". that is true that 'semetic' means decentdents of Shem, although you'll never hear this mentioned. Actually the "semetic" means be the jews, arabs, Christians, etc from that area of the world around what is now Palestine, Israel, Syria,some of Egypt, etc. For example in Israel you have semetic jews but you also have the jews that came there after the creation from Europe and Russia- who are not semetic. Originally this was a linquitic term based on the languages there but later became a racial classification (like 'caucasian', 'mongoloid', 'negroid', etc.) We don't use these terms much now, but originally they had no racist intent, just descriptive. However the zionists have promoted the term 'anti-semetic' to mean anti-jew only. This way their money-making and war-mongering cannot be criticized by anyone. Otherwise you will be villified as being racist or against jews. Mel was correct in his statements. Just because he was drunk (or maybe drugged by someone) doesn't mean his statements weren't true. He was complaining about zionism and their neo-con minions who love war because it makes their banks money, their newspapers money, their tv stations money, and their munition factories money. Stay Strong Mel!!

Tracy Mcdonald, England

it`s the alcohol disease that should be blamed not Mel. He is a good example why WHO (world health organization) and the entire world should ban alcohol.
Many people die of this disease and he is lucky he didn`t hurt innicent people.

Jimmy K

Mel apologized for his "despicable" comments - how big of him! , but what about driving drunk on a narrow road at 87 in a 45 at night. How about some honest contrition for the other citizens he could have killed or maimed. So many of his ilk , status, and celebrity think they are above our laws and consideration for the welfare of "the great unwashed" Mel should make an autobiographical movie - what a story!!

DJC

So is there a 12-step program to recover from anti-semitism?

mar

To Me Mel Gibson was one of those white actors that got built up, Hollywood tried to build him up and convience everyone that he is so handsome like they did with Marilyn Monroe (she was pretty though) Mel was never my favorite he's an actor I felt was pushed on me. I would have preferred to see Harrison Ford, Brad Pitt, Keanu Reeves, and Johnny Depp.

Whatever

He needs a 12 step program for people who are racist!

Ariel Martinez

This is to Mr. Prentiss:

I agree with Mr Prentiss, AA is a good resource for Alcoholism, but not the only one and most importantly for certain type of addictions and or alcoholism it does not work at all.
I have studied the 12 steps: They are misunderstood in AA. The patient needs counseling when dealing with personal aspects of some of the steps: IV a personal inventory, one of the most important ones, is all messed up. It needs to be guided by someone who has been there and who understands that besides addictions being a disease, can understand that what triggered the addiction has a lot to do with a maladapted personality as well as a personality not trained to face life on life terms... I whish I could help Mr Gibson. If he succeeds, his fame could be a powerful motivation for thousands of addcits that think they are bad or twisted.
If he comes up with a mediocre otcome, he will relapse (Relapse is part of addiction, specially at his age)... If some one can put me in contact (confidentially) with Mr Gibson´s Physician (I hope he is evaluated by a doctor with experience in Addiction Medicine), I might be of help.

I feel happy that Mel decided he needs help. He is a human being who happens to be an actor, they need to treat him like a simle common human being; Frequently famous people are treated differentlly and that is plain wrong... Addiction bring up consequences and whoever suffers the disease must reconstruct the wreakage of his past AND MONEY CAN BE A BIG RESTRICTION FOR ADDICTS, THEY MIGHT THINK THAT THE WRONG DOING CAN EASILY BE PAID WITH MONEY.

I HOPE THE BEST FOR MR GIBSON
ARIEL MARTINEZ MD
NEUROLOGIST

Jack schachtebeck

God bless you Mel! Good move! We all need help. If not alcohol, then any of the sins mankind is prone to. I'll be praying for your sticking with the program one day at a time.
At least you are not suffering from the disease of the sick hatred seen in many of these comments. Jesus has a 1-step program for the cure of this.