EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

GS

OK people, a little insight.

Mel Gibson might not be ant-Semite; he has certainly given many examples for people to conclude the worst about him in this regard.

His father is a devout Holocaust denier. For those not up on Holocaust denial, it is a revisionist school of thought that centers around blaming Jews for pulling a “hoax” on the world to elicit enough guilt to establish Israel. They claim 6 million never died and the Nazi’s never engineered a “Final Solution”. Mel acknowledges his Dad has these views and he has not tried to distance himself from the ideology.

The church Gibson belongs to is one that denies the legitimacy of the Catholic Church’s move to modernity in the 1960’s – also known as Vatican II. This council established among other issues, that Jews were not solely responsible for the death of Christ. Before this point in time, all Catholic school kids were taught that the murderers of their lord were Jews, and solely Jews. You can imagine the violence this inspired after Easter sermons.

Gibson’s “The Passion” is just a big screen version of thousands of staged passion plays that came before it in Europe and America. That is why Gibson received so much heat from mainstream Catholic and Jewish groups. They acknowledged that Gibson was feeding into the faulty, violent, and academically inaccurate demonization of one people.

Mel’s arrest and subsequent rantings, if true, are not out of character as some have alluded to in previous posts. But rather the uncensored and scripted remarks of a bigot

TimmyTommy

I'm not going to prejudge whether or not Gibson did say anti-Semitic things. I think the truth on this matter will have to come out now that its been in the media spotlight b/c law enforcement agencies will need to render account to the public.

But the fact is, that this "reporting" by TMZ is just a smear campaign. It's not reporting. Their dragging up every piece of dirt on Gibson to prove that their allegations are true. Today we learn that Gibson was pulled over two times in the past, once where "he didn't look the officer in the eye" (so what, who does when you're being pulled over!) and another time where he "was so cocky." First I would like to know where that info came from. All TMZ says is "sources tell us." Well sources close to TMZ tell me that they like fantastic stories that draw attention to their business and that they capitalized on a marketing opportunity here. Anyone can claim to have sources and sources can be anything from the little voices we hear in our heads. The fact is, the way these "reports" are done, they bespeak more of fiction than fact.

I don't see the great need to run a smear campaign against Gibson at this point. Put the pressure on the Sherriff's dept to present the truth, but let's not turn this into a bash Gibson at every turn fest. I see today's report as TMZ showing their anxiety, feeling the need to show that Gibson is just a bad person because "he didn't look people in the eye" and he is "so cocky" so that their initial report is more credible. And that makes me doubt the whole thing as a marketing ploy.

And if that's the case, TMZ are the real anti-Semites to think they can use the Jewish people for their own good.

Karen Sacandy

Famous people usually get breaks. It's a totally human occurrence, and completely expected. Believe me, if I had Mel Gibson in a cell, I'd have a nice chat with him -- I'd love to pick his brain a little....

As far as what he said, well, he's entitled to his opinions. If those are his opinions I wish he wouldn't apologize for them. If they aren't his opinions, and he was just mad as hell about being ticketed and arrested, then I can understand his apology. I said almost as bad when I was arrested - sober - for speeding. haha HaHa HAHAHAHAHAHA -- Oh, those were the days! Granted, his choice of epithets wouldn't be mine, but we all have different tastes.

Anyway, all this whipping the guy -- for what? Because so many people are caught up in being holier than thou. Well, I'll take his movies over yours any day of the week, and twice on Saturday. Frankly, I'd like to hear more of this kind of thing, even though what he said was rather daft -- I mean, really, Jews the cause of all the wars -- does that include our own Revolutionary War? The War Between the States? But, hey, he was drunk..... I'd like to hear more of it, because I'm tired of the browbeating liberals sucking the life out of everyone for fear of the liberals' labelling. They are such nagging women!!!! I wish they would get a life, and stay out of everyone else's!! Busybody, nagging, shrill, bullying, irritating witches!

backtalk

Harvey, Harvey...

Good Lord! About a week ago, Paris Hilton DROVE OFF after a cruiser pulled up behind her-flashing it's lights, she WAS NOT arrested, and you gave her one paragraph on the subject. I watched every minute of your reporting on the Micheal Jackson case, and you were always so careful to be "fair & balanced" in regards to that sick, twisted child molester...

Now think about this for a moment. It's 2:00 AM or so, Mel is leaving his house, on his way to his brother's home. Seems to me he probably got into an argument with his wife. Most likely she was giving him hell for drinking. It's very likely that he was not in the best of moods. And he was ranting.. You wouldn't believe some of the things that come out of my mouth when I am enraged, sometimes I can hardly believe it myself. I am not condoning what he what he said, and I completely disagree with Mel's reported views on Israel. Driving drunk, speeding, yes, that IS serious, but he was arrested & charged, and will suffer the same consequences for his crime that anyone driving under the influence would. I guess what really bothers me about this, is how vehemently you are pursuing this case. There are SCORES of drunken, drugged-up celebs out there endangering the lives of others out there on the streets/highways of Cali, and you have NEVER gone after them the way you are going after Mel. You are so outraged by Mel's prejudiced remarks against the Jewish people, but you are every bit as prejudiced against Catholics. This coverage proves it. Everyone and their sister knows that you will NEVER forgive Mel for making a movie about Jesus Christ.

As for the whole "Israel bombing Lebanon" debate, let me weigh in for a sec. Many people still blame the early settlers for stealing land from the Indians. You know what I say to that? You snooze, you loose, people! The guys with the biggest guns always prevail, and that's just the way that it is. Is it fair? Hell no. But since when has life ever been fair? Israelis are not terrorists, I don't have to worry about a Jew packing dynamite into his jacket & blowing up me & my kids in a shopping mall. This is how they are living over there. These people are primitive, sadistic psychos, and that is precisely why they are unable to defend themselves against Israel. Perhaps if they would stop oppressing their women, get their asses in school, they might just be able make enough scratch to purchase the weapons they need to fight against their enemies. How's that for a rant, people? Oh, I said something BAD about Muslims! How dare I? Yeah, well, I'm not a celeb, so I guess I don't have to be all PC & prefect. Ya know?

Rob R Barron

I am fed up about living in this mental asylum we call Los Angeles...

We live in a world in which these so called multi-millionaire celebs get treated like friggin royalty while the rest of us Joe & Jane Average folks are treated like crap day in and day out....

Get rid of Baca & the ones who give these arses special treatment....We all know that if this had happened in Compton, nobody down there is gonna get special treatment witht the deputies fawning over the drunk...

r. brown

Many "Christians," especially Catholics, somehow regard Jesus as more of a Christian than a Jew. His Jewishness, Jewish law, are never discussed in the Catholic church. How many white, western-looking depictions of Jesus have we seen? How many English actors have been hired to play him in movies? Gibson is clearly an anti-semite and a foul-mouthed bully, throwing his weight and money around, or at least pathetically trying to. His father is a Holocaust Denier, and MG refuses to publicly challenge his father on that. What other evidence do you need?

Lis

I am absolutely devastated by this news. I am a total Mel Gibson fan. Here is what I think:
1. This is a terrible example for your 7 kids and wife of over 20 years
2. No one should drive under the influence as you may kill other people what if it was your kids being killed on the highway because you wanted a few drinks?
3. He is one of the RICHEST people why didn't he have a DRIVER? Take a cab? Come on you can afford it!
4. My husband and I each have one movie star we are crazy about...mine is Mel Gibson and his is Michelle Pfeifer...if the anti-semitism is true I may have to take down his picture in my bathroom

Finally we are all human and I still love him and his movies but he needs to get help.

Still a loyal fan!

KerryinAlaska

Looks like mel is gonna skate, american justice at work. Famous and rich? Take a pass. Caught with 3/4 bottle of tequila in the car and acting under the influence? Up here I would've been gang tackled and whacked unconcious by the black gloved gestapos ranging our roads because my face isn't known and my pile of money isn't large enough to impress your average policeperson with my ability to hire lawyers. America is sick with injustice, rife with hypocrisy.

Bobby K

Wow. This series of comments is a fascinating lesson on the power of denial. I defended his intentions after Passion. I now realize I was a fool. I think there are people here who, if Mel started wearing a swastika, would argue the symbol was origianlly Hindu and Mel was celebrating America and India's friendship. Alcohol does not cause people to say things they don't believe. It lowers the inhibitions that kept them from saying what they really believed when they were sober.

iggy

A perfect example of the 'Media for Morons' we so proudly endure in this country! The man had a few drinks, got caught, said a few things. End of story. We will now be subject to endless recitals, analysis, prognostications, and speculations on the 'incident'...ad nauseum. No wonder why the rest of the world laughs at us!

ALYSSA

From my understandings of the Bible, the Jews turned Jesus over to Pilot for blasphemy among other things. They didn't technically kill him, but they sure cheered from the sidelines. I couldn't understand why Jewish people had a problem with that if it's written in such a historical document. Mel simply relayed that into a movie, he didn't make the stuff up.

And don't tell me any of you anti-Mels never said a bad thing about anyone in your life. It just wasn't documented so publicly.

Bob Brown

What do you expect from someone who believes in walking dead...talking asses and worldwide floods?
Gibson is delusional with or without the booze.
Fortunately he got pulled over before his beligerant behavior ended up killing a car load of kids.

Passion for the Booze
Starring Mel Gibson..................................LMFAO!!

Bob Miller

I can't believe that anyone can say this is not big news, for several reasons:

First, we have yet another instance of a holier-than-thou, born-again "Christian", who is free with his criticisms of others, but then drives dangerously, putting others at risk, and spews hatred and bigotry at the scene as well as being totally disrespective toward the officer.

Second, apparently, he has speeded twice before (possibly drunk...we don't know because he was simply let go, unlike any other person would have been), and now he is drunk and speeding again. If he killed one of the loved ones of the posters here the other night, these people would be the first to complain as to why the cops did nothing earlier.

Third, I have been under the impression that it is unlawful to falsify a police report. Here it is the police themselves who are falsifying the report. The media should continue to hound the sheriff's department until a full investigation is done.

GS

Those that have made comments about Israel and it's "massacres" are in the wrong blog.

However, if anyone here would crack a history book or anything that was not distilled enough to lose its academic value, you would realize the ludicrousness of your arguments.

Those that have asserted that Israel is directing an "ethnic cleansing" campaign or not ant-Semites, but just plain stupid. The situation in Darfur qualifies for this vile action (committed by Arabs against Arabs), what is going on Lebanon is a product of war and one side using civilian population centers as missile silos..

Karen B.

7/31/06
Apologies from Mel Gibson mean nothing. If the allegations regarding his anti-semitic remarks and behavior are true, always remember that Mr. Gibson is an actor. Any and all apologies he makes are potentially "an act"; not necessarily sincere.