EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Gisela

I believe he voiced his true feelings under the influence of alcohol. And let's not forget he was raised by a Nazi-loving father. I was born and raised in Germany and trust me, I know a person that hates Jews when I hear them speak. I did not see his last movie and have no interest in seeing any of his future work.
I think he is a BIG Hypocrite and I am glad that he removed any doubt about his despicable character.

Joseph

Of course they are going to change some words around to make Mel Gibson look bad, he is a christian and hollywood hates them. Thats why they wouldn't produce the passion and always making fun of them in movies. I don't care what they say, I still like Mel Gibson. Screw TMZ.

Nancy

TMZ like the media blows everything out of proportion kust to sell news that is not news. So Mel Gibson is a drunk, he still is a good actor, producer. So he is Catholic and the Jewish nation is upset and angered. WOnder how the Palestinians and Lebanonese feel today about the state of affaris in their country. Disney pulls his miniseries. Okay, I am tired of all these stories any way. So, he has skated a few other stops. Heck, Mel should move here to Kentucky, no one would pay a bit of attention to his being stopped. You should read our dockets each week, And TANDY, I wonder what you say behind closed doors or in a crowd about other ethnic groups. If you attack Mel for his loose mouth, bet yours is also.
And what was the officer up to anyway. writing down all the comments. I guess he was thinking of a few dollars for his pocket knowing he had Mel Gibson and TMZ would be waiting on the sidelines to buy this info. All the officer should have put into the report is verbally ranting.
Our country has become like the Romans and christians. someone is thrown out into the arena with this garbage and the people verbally abuse them and judge.. yep, civilization is prospering here in AMerica.
our citizens are more interested in the lives of the rich and famous in compaison to what is happening to our nation and the world..

John A. Casey

Mel Gibson exihibits the psychological tendencies of a "BEZERKER"...Does anyone recall "The tomahawk Scene" in His Movie "The Patriot"? He put that
poor "Lobsterback" through a complete conjugation; Dead- Deader- Deadest.
I find His Movies to be overly violent and bloody to the point of exploitation.
"THE Passion of THE Christ" was partticularly offensive because It was based
on, and presented as, a "PASSION PLAY" These "Passion Plays" were/are
common seasonal "Rites" in Central Europe. They coincide with the end of
Lent and focus on the Torture and Cruxifiction of Jesus as presented in
"The Stations of The Cross." They Do NOT represent the teachings of Jesus !
In fact and in History These "Passion Plays" have often times sparked Anti-Semetic riots and Pogroms. I suffered through "THE Passion of THE
Christ " and left the theater with an overwhelming and unsettleing conclusion;
There was NO JESUS in that Movie! Mel Gibson got my money for a Film,
if there was truth in advertising, more aptly titled; "BEAT THE CAVISEL"
There is NO excuse for the Anti-Semetic Tirade Mel Gibson let loose.
I am certain Mel Gibson knows this and is rightly mortified and embarresed by
His Hatefull and Harmfull comments. AND STUPID!!!
Will this affect my consumption of Mel Gibsons' Films ???
His next one is set in PreColumbian America...
I'm sure it will be "Heart Ripping" entertainment...
And with Mel Gibson, I mean that to be taken literaly :right out of
Chest Cavity....

John

lucinda whitford

if Mel Gibson wasn't famous Only his family would have to deal with this I hope he gets the help he needs and he gets through this in good health I will still go to see his movies and I still admire him as an actor and person

peg mantei

It seems to me that we, being Americans, have taken to a bad habit of building people up and then tearing them down! We are letting the media run our country and calling it "news" instead of concentrating on the better good for all of us. Mel Gibson is a man. Nothing more, and nothing less. He has his own frailties, as do we all. I can not honestly say I am a fan one way or another, I like some of his movies and such, and don't like others. that is my choice. But to arbitrarily say that I would never see another of his movies, as Barbara Walters did, is a bit over the top. Alchohol doesn't make us smarter, and it doesn't free our mouths to say how "we really feel" any more than going to church makes us Christians! Its what's in our hearts that counts. Mel is owning his behavior, and I think he deserves the same as any other human being. We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. But with celebrity those rights go right out the window. Let him fight his own demons. I don't think any of us would look good under this kind of microscope!!

EdwardMcEvoy

So much noise about so little. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - even to rant. Whats going on? Is this a lot of P.R.ing? Such a fuss - it all seems contrived. Is this all staged for Mels upcoming movie?

Edward

Tom Raymond

Mel Gibson's comments came from his heart and it is obvious that he has received favortism. We all know that alcohol has a tendency of making people say what is really on their mind. It is a shame that someone of his celebrity status could be so vulger and cruel. I am very disappointed in Mel, and his entering rehab is only because of the serious nature of his actions. If it was just a normal DUI, I sincerely doubt he would have sought treatment. Mel Gibson definately has some serious issues.

Jerry M.

Ok.Passion of the Christ,even Jesus said:"No profets there will be heard on his own land".So,they can denide that,but they did it.Every one make a mistake,we all do.Even the wise do it,so do we all.You have that freedom to make a mistake but also,you have another option,to make it right.A man is define by his actions and not by his past.And another fact is that some times truths are so naked that some people they cover them up,at least a little bit.If we start to see another people tail,how stupid sound that you not pay attention yours.If we gonna a start to mesurement all those tails,as nature did with the aligators,you'll see that you will find that there are long ones and short ones,so be carefull.I believe what I believe and I respect another believers.About that movie,that is another matter.There is some compostitor of a beautifull music that compose a wanderfull notes and they were revolucionaries.C'om,art is art.Idealist and believers are something else."Those who are free of sin,trow the first stone".Good luck.Good night.

armond

I think that any one who says that there is nothing wrong with Gibsons comments has got to keep their head out dark and tight places.

Shery

ARE YOU KIDDING???? WOULD YOU BE FEELING SORRY FOR POOR MR. GIBSON IF HE WOULD HAVE CONTINUED ON HOME & KILLED AN INNOCENT PERSON? FUCK THESE ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THEY DESERVE TO BE TREATED JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, THEY BREAK THE LAW THEY PAY!! HE IS NOT ANY MORE SPECIAL THAN ANYONE ELSE LIVING ON THIS PLANET.

Clearly, Mel Gibson was not himself that night. We cannot know how he handles alcohol, his metabolism, his emotional and mental state, etc. He needs to NOT be driving drunk, and to suffer the consequences for that. As for his remarks (if your story is true) - let's show some compassion. How dare anyone judge him when he was impaired. That is cruel, and IGNORANT. Some people become out of their minds when drunk, and it isn't their true self. FInally, there was nothing anti-semitic about The Passion. Jesus was himself Jewish! Trying to rewrite history never benefits anyone.

mike

I suppose it's not the worst thing to overlook mel's obvious anti semitism but the free ride he is being given on the dwi is despicable. Perhaps if this time (or the other two times he was pulled over for "suspicious" driving) had resulted in injury or death to others gibson would be viewed more critically. Existentially mel can drink himself into oblivion the real problem is when he gets behind the wheel and puts all others at risk. AA by the way is not a means towards absolution (thats bettween you, your maker and those you have harmed) but rather a means to managing the disease of alcoholism.

Jesse

Hezbollah is anti-semitic. Mel is just a drunk...and no shit, Jews are at the center of most bloody conflicts, it is easy to do when so many people want to kill you.

Pat

Many kinds of prejudice, including anti-semitism, are often held in rein just below the surface, only to spew out because of drink, or stress, or both. I am very happy that the terrible views of this hypocritical "Christian" (my foot) have been exposed. I sincerely hope that he gets not only good treatment for his alcoholism, but also some help in understanding his prejeudices and in learning what it really means to be a Christian.

Mildred Cuellar

Mel Gibson will always be my Braveheart. I purchased the movie and watch it when I want to be reminded of heroes in the past. Mel has given us so much entertainment, he is a genious of his trade, but one always comes away from his performances with renewed hope. My heart and hope go out to him now in his hour of need and shame. Head up, Mel, you are still our Braveheart and entitled to a mistake for all you have given to us of all races.

Previous 15 Comments | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments