EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Donna Rainier

So what's so different about Mel that you should make a big deal of this. He is not the only one in the movie/music industry that ever got drunk. He has a problem. He needs help and I sincerely hope and pray he gets it for once and for all. I had a happy go lucky father that was an alchoholic. When he was drunk, he was nasty. Some drunks are sweet and happy. It's the makeup of that particular person. My father said things when drunk that he would never say sober. Mel has apologized for what he did and said. Give him a chance folks. Jesus forgives. Are we better than him? Judge not, lest you be judged. God didn't give up on David. He messed up bigtime but through forgiveness went on to write the Psalms. I don't think God is finished with Mel Gibson either. We all mess up at one time or another. Good thing we are all not under a microscope! Try giving a little understanding for a weaker one and a lot of prayer.

Larry

I am appalled that a guy (ok a guy with several hundred millions in the bank) goes out drinking, too arrogant to take a cab gets arrested for drunk driving and it is now national news. We have our boys dying in Iraq, Iran refuses to give up nuclear testing and everytime I turn on the tv or radio I'm hearing Mel Gibson. I don't care what he said drunk, I've seen dumb drunks before. They always say & do things they are embarrassed about the next day. It is still not news! Let's give it a rest.

Shirley Arnowitz

This is not the first time Gibson has had an anti-semetic outbursts. Both he and his father are avid anti-semites. He should be barred from the entertainment industry at the very least and is an undesirable mascarading as a human being. If he had lived in Nazi Germany, he most certainly would not only have been a Jew-hater but also a Jew killer. He is a weak and wicked person.

Mary Pettway

Mel is right, HE is fucked up! It's sad that with all the millions he has made, he is so unhappy. But then, money don't buy happiness! Main point here people: HE was DRUNK DRIVING at an Excessive speed. Who would like to get a call that their loved one was killed by a DRUNK MEL GIBSON? It wouldn't make it any easier to take that he's a spoiled celebrity who has priors where he got a nod or look the other way. Everyone who breaks the law shoulld be treated the same. Way to go Officer Mee!! Lock his ass up!!

Saeed

A question, if he had said "Muslims" were responsible for the world's problems - would there have been any consequence in America? The Jewish lobby in the USA is an undeniable fact, whilst he may have made inappopriate comments - this case only highlights how much influence there is over the media and a single outburts can cause the downfall of someone of his standing as an actor.

I think it also highlights the double-standard with news networks and the American public. Jewish journalists are frequently condemnings and making outright bigoted remarks about Muslims - far worse than anything Gibson said (try Fox News) - yet this is acceptable. There is a pro-Jewish lobby that is decidedly governing world affairs from government to media - purportedly under the nationalist agenda's of western countries. The individuals from Rumsfeld, Cheney, Woolfowitz etc. governing foreign policy have a right wing Jewish stance. Maybe its time right wing Judaism was analysed and not just extremist translations of Islam - esp. given the recent effects of massacres in Lebanon. Very few people are courageous enough to say this, those that are are blacklisted (hence I expect my comments not to be published).

Jackie

There are many sides of this to consider when pondering Mr. Gibson's plight. First of all, to take from a previous posting...."in vino veritas"...(there's truth in wine)..I have always believed that. Mel obviously has SOME anti-sematic feelings buried somewhere. I'm relatively sure though, that if not caught in a drunken state...they would have remained buried.
That being said, another point one would have to consider is this..if not for the fact that Mel Gibson is very famous, would any one of us have ever even heard of this arrest where ever it occurred? I think not. I feel that media exploits fame and exposes the private situations of the famous for notariety and financial gain...despicable. I'm glad I'm not famous!
Mr. Gibson was stopped for speeding and found to be intoxicated. That is what he should be facing...drunken driving is irresponsible and speeding, dangerous....he should most definitely face the consequences for those violations. Mel's verbal rantings should never have come to light. How did this TMZ news site gain access to the police report in the first place?
I sincerely hope that Mr. Gibson does well in the AA program he's enrolled in. Alcoholism is obviously the problem, it's first display by Mr. Gibson possibly dating back to the mid 80's. I pray that Mel kicks his problem and continues to have a successful career in Hollywood. He's a talented actor who has problems, just like you and me....or the guy next door.....

Orlando C. Madeira

Certain things are becoming clear about this incident:

1) Drunks must be kept off the road to save lives.
2) All persons must be treated fairly but equally.
3) Official malfeasance and cover ups must be punished.

This problem shows how deep corruption and disregard for the law
is imbedded in modern society!

Roland C. Woodaka
in our society

Kim Scott

Mel is still a good actor. People do need to watch what they say when drinking and especially if your in the public eye. It is the United States and we do have freedom of speech! Why anybody is racist, I don't know? If you don't like what others do, stay away from them. That's your perogative. It's not your perogative to condemn them. Who says your better than them anyway? God? I don't think so!
One coment said Hitler was Jewish. He was? I thought he was just full blooded German! Don't know what religion? Why was he trying to annilate the Jewish population then? I know he wanted a pure race, but why would he kill off his own kind?

mark

I hope nobody buys his stupit and racist movies

Tim

Mel Gibson is a public figure and never considered how this would effect him or his family and friends. The only people who will really suffer from this verbal attack. Money does not give you any certain judgement towards people.
Tom Cruise is suffering from the same ordeal. Mel Gibson while busy counting
his millions forgot how many people love seeing his films. Jew's included.
The sad truth is he's just playing along with the media to keep face but
a real monster has been revealed. Did he realize how Christ suffered in his movie??? I guess not or else he wouldn't have made that statement.

terry

IF HIS NAME WERE ANYTHING OTHER THAN, MEL GIBSON, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST A 50 YEAR OLD WHITE MALE, ARRESTED FOR DRUNK DRIVING, WITH ALL THE NORMAL BELIGERENT, FOUL, THREATENING, NAME CALLING ANTICS THAT GO ON DURING AN ARREST. BUT BECAUSE HE IS A FAMOUS PUBLIC FIGURE, THE WHOLE WESTERN HEMISPHERE HAS BEEN FORCED TO TAKE NOTICE. IT IS A BITTER/SWEET WORLD THAT THESE TYPES LIVE IN. THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THOSE BITTER TIMES. BUT THIS TO SHALL PASS.

Janet Wyse-O'Neill

Since I'm not perfect and I make mistakes, I guess I won't sit and judge. We've all done some irresponsible things . . . some are more dangerous than others. I for one am thankful that he's ok, no one was hurt, and he'll be fine. He has worked very hard for many years for his success, and with success comes perks (whether we like it or not) . . . I'm sure he'll be wrestling with his demons for a while, and that's really a huge punishment. I truly believe he's a good person, a good father, husband, and family man . . . if his family can forgive him and if he can forgive himself, we certainly should.

Mel, Shape Up!

Why so ANGRY, Mel? If you're going to 'tie-one-on' at least be a fun DRUNK! It's all very sad. Disappointing to say the least! I held Mr. Gibson on a much higher PEDESTAL. He's typical Hollywood...Big Star! Hollywood will continue to deny him. That's Ok. He'll bounce back bigger and better. If my net worth were $850 MILLION, I'd probably have an attitude at wee hours in the morning with a bottle of booze in my car, too. Big wake-up call for all of us, including Mel. What if you had killed yourself? What if you had killed someone else? I for one, am THANKFUL no one was hurt, including Mel Gibson. You're a man after God's HEART. You'll work it out. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life and I'm a good, decent person, too. May God continue to RICHLY Bless you Mel.

sofia

You are right Mel, therefore you have nothing to apologize for: Jews are the cause for all wars. They are a disgrace for our country. Their powerful and effective lobby groups rule our Congress and keep dragging us into unfair wars that go against our principals as a nation.

sandra rodriguez

GOD BLESS YOU AND WATCH OVER YOU ---THE REST IS UP TO YOU TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT.

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments