Sheriff's Rep:

There Was No Cover-up

7/31/2006 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, just concluded (9:15AM PT) a press conference with reporters, answering questions about the Mel Gibson DUI controversy.

Whitmore, speaking outside the Sheriff's headquarters in Monterey Park, reiterated that there was no "sanitizing" of the police report and that no force was used in Gibson's arrest.

He went on to say that Gibson did not run away from law enforcement officers -- but as TMZ first revealed, the report and other evidence points to the contrary. According to the report TMZ obtained, "Gibson quickly turned and bolted towards his own vehicle." The report goes on to say that "Gibson attempted to escape arrest."

When asked about the case as it relates to the media, Whitmore said, "Is this a cover-up to the press or is it a cover-up to the public? Because we believe it is not a cover-up at all. Having said that, I understand the concern. Is there influence peddling here? Absolutely not."

Mike The "when did Rosie get so angry"

Wow. He screwed up. Anyone who cannot at least admit he tried to apologize is either deaf or Anti-Mel Gibson for their perceived attitude towards his craft and things that may or may not be true from the past.
Give him a break. He has much more explaining to do to the Missus for his pics with the blonde and for his drunken tirade to his children. Shame is deep and anyone who tries to say it is not enough well, SHAME on you then!

ed nirrus

Here is an essay question students:

A black man, having consumed about 4 or 5 drinks, is stopped for weaving in Malibu. The officers smell alcohol on his breath and he flunks field sobriety tests. He's brought back to the squad car to be arrested for DUI but runs away so the officer has to chase and subdue him and put him in handcuffs. The black man calls the arrresting officer a fucker and says he is going to fuck him. The black man is brought to the station and promptly calls a female deputy sugar tits.

What do you think would have happened to the black man and what do you think he would be charged with.

Ed from Irvine

urbiks

n bnm

Jack Meihoff

Zig Heil Mr. Gibson, it's about time for you to come out of the Furers closet eh?

enamul h kahn

mr gibson is one of the best actor and a film maker,he should not have made an open antisemitic commenton the other hand we can see how much the media is controlled by the jewish people in usa.

charles

Mel Gibson has been the news about his ideals and how we should live, I believe that opens the door to everything he doses. What ever happen I sure it’s not to far off of what the news said.

I'll go see his move as long as I don't have to look at him

katie

Enough about Mel. Is Steven Whitmore the son of Stuart Whitmore, the great actor???? He looks just like him.

LetHerKillHerself

The personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew"
- Adolf Hitler

Ruth.Schalip

ABOUT MEL GIBSON,HE IS FIGHTING HIS OWN
DEMONS.WHY NOT HELP HIM INSTEAD OF
ADDING MORE?.HE SAID HE WAS SORRY PLEASE
ALLOW HIM TO CONTINUE HIS BATTLE,THIS TIME
WITH HELP..HOW MANY SINS DO THE REST OF
US COMMIT ?

Kay Malone

I can't believe all the garbage coming out of the mouths of the people in Follywood.The blantent immoral displays in the media by many of the people in the industry goes without comment,is often celebrated. Here you have a situation where a man in the lime light is desperately ill with the disease of alcoholism, admits it, publicly apoligizes & has entered a treatment center. Was he wrong? Yes,however his behavior is part of the disease. Hopefully this time the treatment will stay with him for the rest of his life & he will never drink again.I for one thank God he did not hurt himself or any others. I will be praying for his successfull completion of the treatment program & for his wifes & families continued support. I call upon his friends & fans & all of you out there who understand what he & his family are going thru to pray for them. He needs to be held accountable for his actions , not condemmed. I believe those who are protesting so vehemently like that "agent" have another agenda. Regarding "The Passion Of Christ" Mel Gibson didn't make it up. Read the Bible,it's all there. I suspect sour grapes, jealousy is so small so immature,so self defeating. Thank you for this opportunity to speak out .So many people don't understand it's not a lack of character it's a disease. Where can Healing cards & letters of support be sent?.

VIRGINIA

I HAVE READ THE COMMENTS ON MEL AND ONCE AGAIN ILL SAY THIS. HE MADE A MISTAKE LIKE ALL OF US HAVE IF YOU HAVE NEVER SIN THEN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CAST THE FIRST STONE,BUT I DON'T KNOW OF ANY OF US THAT HAVE NOT SINNED IN THIS WORLD, AS A RECOVERING ALCHOLIC I KNOW WHAT THIS MAN IS GOING THROUGH AND PRAISE GOD I GOT GOOD HELP. AND I BELIEVE HE WILL ALSO. HE MADE A MISTAKE IF HE WANTED TO DRINK HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SMART ENOUGHT TO ASK SOMEONE TO DRIVE OR STAYED AND HOME AND NOT TAKE THE LIVES OF OTHERS IN HIS HANDS THE MAN GOT A DWI WHAT 20 YEARS AGO.AND WHY WOULD THEY NOT GO AHEAD WITH HIS NEW MOVIE HE GOT A DWI PEOPLE GET REAL I KNOW IN THE LITTLE TOWM I LIVE IN PEOPLE GET THEM OVER AND OVER WITH AND GET THERE HANDS SLAP BECAUSE MEL IS A MOVIE STAR WE SHOULD COMDEM HIM TO PRISON HELLO GET REAL PEOPLE AND GET REAL THE MAN NEEDS HELP JUST LIKE THE MILLONS OF OTHERS THAT DRINK AND DRIVE AND TAKE OUR LIVES IN THERE HANDS. I AGREE WITH DR PHILE YOU HAVE KNOW RIGHT DRINKING AND DRIVING AND PUTTING MY FAMILYS LIVES IN HARMS WAY,I BELEIVE MEL IS SORRY FOR WHAT HE DID AND I PRAY WITH ALL MY HEART THAT YOU PEOPLE THAT WANT TO CALL HIM NAMES AND THROW STONE AT HIM DOES NOT LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE. THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME MAKE MY OPION AND I RESPECT THE OFFICER THAT ARRESTED MEL HE DID NOT GO AROUND YELLING HEY LOOK I JUST GOT MEL GIBSON ANT I SPECIAL.HE DID HIS JOB MEL WAS ARRESTED AND TOOK TO JAIL LIKE ANYONE ELSE WOULD BE, AGAIN I SAY PEOPLE GET OVER IT AND LET THE MAN GET WELL. THANK YOU VIRGINIA

Mo' Feinblatt

I was born to Jewish parents,,,,,,,,,,so, I'm a Jew. If I had been born to Arabs...I'd be a Muslim. If I had been born into a Catholic family, I'd be a Catholic. I'm not in the least way religious and I believe that no matter what faith I would have been born into, I wouldn't have practiced because I believe in GOD, not some man made hokum dealing with which hoops to jump through , and when to light the candles , or swing the incense, or bow to the east several times a day to prove your worthiness. So this PRIVILEGED, DRUNKEN PIECE OF CRAP WHO CLAIMS TO BE VERY RELIGIOUS (religion has sure made a good person out of ole' Mel) spurts vitriolic, very unchristian, comments, for the world to hear. I hope he's happy that alcohol has given him the strength that he needed to voice his beliefs.
I only wish that I could take back all of the money and time that I put into watching this drunkards work. Mad Max is dead , and so is the humanity of Mel Gibson

Joan Guido

As a staunch Catholic, I am apalled at the actions and opinions that Mel Gibson has. I will never again see one of his movies, I consider him to be ignorant and absolutely disgraceful. He is every thing a truly religious person should not be. He is a product of his father's upbringing and should never again be allowed to be in a position to influence our youth through media of any kind. He makes me sick.

Maggie Jackson

There's another issue here. To me, this case is another example of preferential treatment by cops and not just for celebrities. Of course celebrities are treated preferentially, but so are men who beat their wives and kids. Traditionally, cops have refused to make arrests in cases of domestic violence, especially where the abuser is a white male. And women and children are paying with their lives.

In fact, typically law enforcement will only act if the abuse has culminated in murder. Women and children are refused their most basic human rights under the law. Domestic murders rarely occur out of the blue. Usually, there is a long history of violence for which police have refused to make arrests, even though the evidence is overwhelming.

Why? Law enforcement doesn't want to risk its neck. Daddy Child Abuser might come to the door with a gun. Also, it is well documented that domestic crime is high among law officers. Not all "good guys" wear white hats.

Equal human rights are the birthright of each one of us.

Dave Johnson

If Mel had criticized any minority except Jews, we wouldn't even have heard about it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments