BULLETIN: Gibson: "I'm Not an Anti-Semite"

8/1/2006 11:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonLOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson says there's "no excuse" and there should be "no tolerance" for "anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark." In a statement, Gibson says, "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D-U-I charge."

Gibson goes on to say, "I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith." He asks to meet with leaders of the Jewish community for what he calls a "one-on-one discussion" to find "the appropriate path for healing."

Click to read the Gibson's entire statement

Gregory J. Chavez

Mr. Gibson is an incredible man. He is a great father, husband, and friend, and has done alot for the community. One incident of DUI and the media blows this up. I can only say that, indirectly, I have assisted him on one dilema, and he prooved that he is just a human being like you and I. We all make mistakes. P.S.......I am a devout Catholic. I have one question to all of you...Is everyone upset because Mel Gibson demonstrated to the world, through cinema, that the Jews did kill Jesus, as it is stated in the Bible?

...

To Sean #11: I made a post last night on a different Mel article with the same link -- it is a fake. Someone alerted me to the fact that the bottom of the article clearly states "This is a faux news article." Apparently it's a hack -job into BBC's website...

Steve

1. I disregarded his father's opinions, but now we have heard Mel's, and they sound a lot alike.
2. Are we supposed to ignore anything someone says or does when they are intoxicated? "Oh, it's not his fault, he was drunk."

Fran

Has Hollywood shunned these people?

Roman Polanski-rape of a minor..leaving country to avoid charges?

Sean Penn- spouse abuse

Robert Downey jr- severe drug addiction, many arrests

Gary busey- drug arrests

Nick Nolte- drug arrests

Wynona Ryder- retail theft

Tracey Gold-drunk and nearly killed her family driving drunk.

Willie Nelson-drugs

George Michael
Hugh Grant
Boy George
Bobby Brown
Michael jackson
Little Kim
Diana Ross
Christian Slater
Martha stewart
Keanu
Russell Crowe

I think you get my point, some of these arrests were for violent actions, many DUI's with mouthing off to the cops..same as Mel...How many Hollywood bigwigs still help Roman Polanski and Michael jackson? Untill you disavow all the crap from all the celebrities dont start talking about mel being shunned in hollywood.

This is all media pushed for sensationalism, and if stories about stars disappeared completly I wouldnt mind a bit. Do the movie/tv show/music and STFU! We dont care how big a home you have, the media might but regular people dont really care.

stan

I have been sober for almost 9 years. I never said anything coming close to the drunken outburst he has said. If I were a "Jewish Leader" I would tell Mr Mel Gibson get sober and we will talk when "we are ready"

casey

It looks to me as if the anti-Mel people are just as bigoted as he suposedly is. And one other thing, this is the United States of America if Mel Gibson doesn't like Jews he has a right to dislike them. By the same token you can dislike him but don't pretend you're better. YOU ARE JUST A HYPOCRITE IN A POLITICALLY CORRECT MASK. I find that more sickening then plain old fashion honest bigotry.

Anni

Lee, I totally agree with you. When one gets intoxicated, usually, the truth comes out. Personally, I accept his "apology" for his mischevious behavior but I do not respect him anymore, and frankly, he could care less because he is, well... MEL GIBSON.

Jason

1) Alcohol makes you say thing that you already were thinking.
2) Looks like he has some "demons" in his personal life that he needs to work out - but don't vent that at anyone else, Mel.
3) He confirmed that, not only he is an anti-semite and a biggot, but that his fame has gone to his head, big time! What an ass.
4) His career needs to be destroyed - by us public - pressuring networks, etc.
AND
5) He's a big boy, he is going to get everything he's due. Hope his "passion" movie money is saved, because his career (at least in the states) will be over!

Cheers, all!

Jack

For those who might be gullible, the above BBC news link in comment 11 is a fake. Notice how the base URL of the link is different from the BBC's true URL? Same trick that people use when they're trying to steal your credit card info by pretending to be eBay.

As for Mel, I hope he's being sincere. And for those who insisted over the past few days that the Mel Gibson story was a fake concocted by "Jewish" Hollywood, well all I can say is "in your face!" You're going to have to come up with a new conspiracy theory now. Too bad.

VoodooQueen

"Let he who is without sin...cast the first stone."
I would ask only those of us who have never in their entire lives.. said one derogatory or hateful comment about blacks, jews, gentiles, gays, rich, poor, arabs, muslims etc... take the lead in ushering the rest of us into the realm of universal love. This is a huge lesson for Mel Gibson which I am sure will change him forever... for the rest of us, let us hold forgiveness and compassion in our hearts, so that we also may find compassion from others in our moment of weakness....

youngsmeagol

They are never going to forget. Sorry Mel but that's it.

Hollywood

Why do people assume that Mel was referring to the war in Lebannon? He could have been pissed off by a jewish bartender...I think people are connecting his words to the actions in the Middle East to somewhat justify what he did.

Mel's words should stand alone. They were anti-semtic.

Debbie

The only concern I have with this entire fiasco is the fact that everyone has forgotton that alcoholism is a sickness. I'm not trying to defend what was said by Mr. Gibson but now so many people in Hollywood want to turn their backs to him. This is ridiculous. If anything, he needs people around him who can help him get better. He's sick, remember, alcoholism. He's apologized and I'm sure feels like an idiot already for saying the things he's said. Also, wasn't there an actor who once did something more despicable and disquisting than Mel. Yeah, WOODY ALLEN. The pictures of his DAUGHTER naked and then marrying her. Everyone has seemed to forgiven him for being a pedifile.(which I think is sickening and I have yet to watch a Woody Allen movie since) That, Hollywood, is a bit more despicable than what Mel Gibson did. We should not be so hasty to shun Mel then, should we.

Teresa

Mel Gibson apoligized to the Jewish Community to save his career.

Shaz

This is why the Jewish people get attacked and stomped on, I am a jew
and I can't stand this-the Jews in hollyowood will overlook this incident
in due time because Mel is like a pinwheel-wherever he spins he makes
money, That is why no one respects us in the world, and contraty to
what Mel's idiot Dad thinks this tolerance of abuse allowed the
Holocaust to happen. I don't know I have more of a love of my pride than
a love of money-perhaps that is why I'm not one of those rich jews that
Mel thinks controls everything.

Oh and he wants the Jewish leaders in the community to help him out huh?
They should order him to sit through a Passover Cedars. This isn't genuine, this is his publicist freaking out over what he said and forces him to make nice nice.