BULLETIN: Gibson: "I'm Not an Anti-Semite"

8/1/2006 11:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonLOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson says there's "no excuse" and there should be "no tolerance" for "anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark." In a statement, Gibson says, "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D-U-I charge."

Gibson goes on to say, "I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith." He asks to meet with leaders of the Jewish community for what he calls a "one-on-one discussion" to find "the appropriate path for healing."

Click to read the Gibson's entire statement

Lee

In response to Mel Gibson.....Just because you say your sorry does not make it all better. If it were a one time occurence that would be different. It is obvious he is an antisemite. I understand we all make mistakes but he is a public figure and his hatered of the Jews just insights further remarks of hatered for the Jews. It would be the same if he had made racial remarks. It would breed further hatered toward other race groups. What would happen if it were Speilberg and he made remarks about the cristian, Muslim or Catholic releigions. It is never ok to make dispariging remarks about anyones Faith or Race. He is a man in a position to be a role model to the people of the world to teach tolerance for everyone. His behavior his disgraceful. As a Jew I feel he will have much to amend for to an even higher power in the end. I hope that Hollywood does not keep supporting Gibson behavior...Remember He is suppose to be a role model for others to follow!

trish

Why is it such a big deal when someone says something Anti-Semetic? Why the hell do they always have to cry foul!! Why does Mel have to apologize for giving an opinion? We are entitled to says what we believe, Mel should not be any different.

Sarah

Before Schindler's List, I had no real concept of what the Holocaust meant. I never bothered to explore it more than simply knowing it happened. Not being Jewish, I never really took an interest in learning about the religion. But after Schindler's List, and further, after watching the Documentary Hiding and Seeking, I became obsessed with learning and now I believe I have a rather elementary, but important, grasp of the faith and struggles of the Jewish people. Rather than sympathize, I am capable of empathy and deep respect for this community. I believe that the purpose of these films, in part, was to teach tolerance and acceptance; understanding and compassion, where none had previously existed. I believe the films met their purpose. At least for me.

It is my humble opinion, that Mr. Gibson has not only apologized for his behavior, which he rightfully calls "despicable", he has also begged the forgiveness and assitance of the jewish community, and he has called upon the leaders of this community to meet with him. If they refuse, and do not take upon themselves this opportunity to educate Mr. Gibson, to communicate with him in an effort to reach a resolution to this obviously painful and disturbing conflict, then everything I have come to learn about the community is worthless. I believe that they owe it to themselves, and to Mr. Gibson, and to the world in this time of great intolerance, to reach out to him. The result can only benefit all.

Speaking as a person who has known the ugliness of alcoholism and substance abuse through the magnificent loss of a brother at the age of 36, I know that Mr. Gibson's comments came from a place, most likely not from the deep seeded reaches of his mind, rather from the dellusions the bottom of a bottle bring. I pray that he receives the help he is so desperately seeking and that all whom he reaches out to are open to his pleas.

jay

Drunk persons words=sober persons thoughts.

End of story...

David

Well, "Passion" was pretty anti-Semetic ... and any Jew who can speak Hebrew knows it!

sean jackson

you wouldn't be making such a big deal of this if mel gibson wasn't a celebrity or if he wasn't the producer of the film Passion of the Christ. i do realize that the jewish community found this film objectionable but it is historically accurate even according to jewish records, and if they don't like to have thier own ugly history they shouldn't be making such a big deal about other events in recent history , such as the terrible treatment the recieved at the hands of the nazis, which the isreali state is so quick to bring to world attention any time isreal does something that might not be such a good thing. i have no problems with the jewish faith but i am real tired of any issue in this country that deals with a religous issue suddenly becoming ACLU fodder and that is what this will become, especially if it can be turned into anti CHRISTIAN sentiment. yes mel gibson needs to face the consequences for his drunk driving just like the rest of us would but to turn this into a race thing is absurd. come on people start livung your own lives will you!!

Patti Hunsinger

I think EVERYONE should just let it go!!! This country has bigger fish to fry...TERRORIST...GANGS THAT ARE REALLY HURTING THIS COUNTRY !!!

The man is a human being he made a mistake, Yes he should face the consquences of his DUI like anyone else would, As far as running his mouth that sounds typical of someone drunk, maybe we should start taping every DUI suspect and see how they run their mouths, you'd be suprised at what people say! I know I was married to an alcholic for 22 years!

So instead of judging Mel, Let's all concentrate on what's really important...BRINGING OR MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOM (that includes freedom of speach) HOME SAFE AND SOUND!!

EasyMac

Dear Anita Clay,

The DaVinci Code was a STORY. It never claimed to be the truth. Only blind naive zealots can't see that.

And guess what? The Bible is a story too.

Sincerely,

Someone Bored with Your Religion

Jim

I am really disappointed that any organization chooses to dismiss the 1st amendment and label anyone based on some comment made under the influence. Suddenly the yellow journalist come out and inflame hatred where possibly none existed prior to tmz's involvement. It appears that tmz's goal is to divide the country on the issue of religion and culture. I can only say shame on them.

lucinda whitford

I didn't see my comment yet So I want to say again Let Mel Gibson and his family deal with this Alcohol does strange things to a person Why was his comments while intoxicated even mentioned If he had said wonderful things about people would that have been reported? I think not! Sick of human nature in Orlando Florida

gayle

Well Mel, things may very well be predetermined. Your stronghold on the Christian community has come to end. I WILL thank GOD for that.

The Truth will always be told, somehow or another, by someone. In your case you!!!! This is absolutely hysterical!!!!! Good job Mel for a job well done at exposing the Anti-Semite that you are.

AMEN and thank you to TMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mona

What it comes down to is this:

Wouldn't it be nice, if just once, someone who is bigotted actually admitted they were? Like - I think that I'd actually have an ounce of respect for the man if he were to come out and say: "you know what? I've obviously got some bias issues. But I'm going to work on them. And I'm sorry that they came out in this way. But yes. I'm a bigot."

THAT would be an apology that I can accept.

Len Bourret - Poet and Writer

=================================
L e o n a r d J . B o u r r e t
4 0 - B P a s c a l L a n e
M a n c h e s t e r , C T 0 6 0 4 0 - 4 6 2 6
P h o n e : ( 8 6 0 ) 6 4 7 - 9 6 0 6
e - M a i l : Len9876@juno.com
=================================

August 1, 2006

Re: Mel Gibson - As a jewish person, who happens to be gay, Mel Gibson has always been kind
to me, to the jewish community, and to the gay/jewish community. He has not been anti-semetic.
I believe that the alcoholic personality was talking, and not Mel Gibson.

As a jewish person, I do not take offense to an otherwise-gentle-and-kind Mel Gibson.

Very Sincerely,

Len Bourret
Poet and Writer

USA Today's Coverage of Mel Gibson...
"I don't take pride in hurting Mr. Gibson," Deputy James Mee told The Associated Press during an interview outside his home.

"What I had hoped out of this is that he would think twice before he gets behind the wheel of a car and was drinking," added Mee, a 17-year veteran of the Sheriff's Department. "That would be my hope that this would accomplish that. I don't want to ruin his career. I don't want to defame him in any way or hurt him."

Mee also said he didn't take any of Gibson's remarks seriously.

Mee, who is Jewish, would not comment specifically on what Gibson said.

"That stuff is booze talking," the deputy said.

TMZ's antics don't sit well with everyone. Publicist Ken Sunshine, who represents Ben Affleck and Leonardo DiCaprio, applauds the site's "ability to break stories that the traditional media is either too lazy or too incompetent to break. But I hate that they have anything to do with trying to put celebrities into the worst light possible and that they play the 'gotcha' game."

"The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed." - Mel Gibson's media statement

========================================================================

Maurice Graham

Even in his day, William Shakespeare understood how men's actions were remembered by society: "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones. " - From Julius Caesar (III, ii)

Mel Gibson, playing Hamlet, once uttered prophetically:

To be or not to be, --that is the question:--
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?" -- From Hamlet (III, i, 56-61)

Good luck, Mr. Gibson, as you've dug yourself into quite a hole to crawl out. But men have been messing up their lives ever since Adam let Eve talk him into eating that apple. "To err is human."

Sarah

People make mistakes, and if you claim to have never done so, you then are deceiving yourself as well as others. We are taught to forgive! That is what we must do. We wonder why there are so many problems in this world we live in, well maybe if so many people didn't dwell and would actually forgive we would be in alot better place. I am a huge fan of him and all of the heart and soul it took to make a film such as The Passion and he has been under fire ever since the start of the making of the film, now there was a mini-series in the works about the Holocost and it just so happens that it coinisides with a DUI arrest (which by the way is the same as a DWI, they have just changed the language) in which all these statements where made. The Passion was unsuccessfully stopped, which had alot of people fuming, but this mini-series, it has now been canceled, it kinda makes you wonder???? Mel has been a man and apologized from the heart what more can a person do, there is nothing that can be done that would please everyone, it's just one more thing for people to gripe about, get over yourselves, maybe try taking in mass!!