Gibson Charged With DUI

8/2/2006 6:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gibson: Charges filedThe Los Angeles County District Attorney has charged actor Mel Gibson with misdemeanor Driving Under the Influence. The offense carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in county jail. Gibson was also charged with driving while having a .08 blood alcohol level or higher. And the actor was charged with possession of an open container of alcohol while driving.

TMZ was the first to report that Gibson was arrested early Friday morning while driving on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, Calif. He allegedly tried to flee the scene.

Click to read the press release and charging documents

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Brenda

It's amazing how Mel Gibson is the only "so called" PREJUDICE person in the world. COME ON PEOPLE!, YOUR ALL HYPOCRITES, LIKE YOU NEVER SAID A HARSH WORD OR COMMENT ABOUT SOMEONE OF ANOTHER RACE OR RELIGION! Besides that doesn't mean he is hates jews, what he said was his opinion.I guess when the news broke you all said " oh my goodness mr. gibson said some bad stuff about jewish people today" NO! what you probally said was that mother *******,son of a **** Mel Gibson blah, blah blah, (you get the picture). You should all ask forgiveness for acting as though you never made a comment about something someone else disagrees with . You all need to get a life

Dr. J Walker

HEY GUYS...

"Let those without any sins cast the first stone" I'm not saying what he did wasn't right but I want to meet the first human that hasn't made any bonehead mistakes
in their life, black or white rich or poor.A lot of your beliefs are formed very early in
our lives by Mom, Dad, Brothers and Sisters. I know I've made 1 mistake before,
....I thought I was wrong LOL .......And Mel buddy if you read this "This too will pass"

Kim

You know, 5 years ago, we were greiving the death of Princess Di, in all actuallity, she was in fact killed by an empaired driver, who did not know how to handle the situation with the chase that ensued.;

We should be thankful, because we still have a brilliant writer and actor amung us. I think if he is any type of man, he will face up to his responsibilities, and set an example for the children that he loves so much, and hopefully has come "full circle" himself, and use his status at other boy, who want to be just like him. He will make the right decission

judith postol

I GUESS MY JOY IS IN KNOWING THAT MEL IS NOT A HAPPY MAN. .IT ALMOST SEEMS A SHAME THAT A BILLIONARE, GOOD LOOKING, LIVING IN A MANSION, 5 HEALTHY BEAUTIFUL KIDS, BEAUTIFUL WIFE, EVERYTHING THE REST OF US WISH WE COULD JUST HAVE A PIECE OF..YET IT HAS NOT MADE MEL HAPPY..HAPPY PEOPLE DON'T NEED ALCHOLOL..ALCHOLOL IS USED BY WEAK PEOPLE THAT NEED TO ESCAPE.AS WELL AS PEOPLE THAT ABUSE DRUGS...I NEED TO ADD THAT ALCHOLOL WHEN USED TO SUCH A DEGREE, THAT ONE IS DEEMED DRUNK IS USED AS AN ESCAPE.. SO WHAT COULD MEL BE RUNNING FROM??? THE FACT IS THAT AS SOON AS HE WAS IN TROUBLE..GETTING STOPPED BY A COP, OUT COMES ALL THIS HATRED..MEL GET REAL.!!!! THE HATE IS IN YOU..PEOPLE THAT HATE USUALLY BLAME GLOBAL WARMING ON THE JEWS, DROUTS, ILLNESSES, THE JEWS ARE CAUSING EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG IN YOUR LIFE..I CAN ONLY WISH ON YOU A CONTINUATION OF WHAT MAKES YOU SO MISERABLE...AND HOPE IT'S NEVER CURED. NOW I WILL ASK FOR FORGIVNESS. J POSTOL

Cheryl

If we ban every actor and actress that did something stupid while in public or private, affecting their personal life, there would be no one left to make movies or tv programs. Not saying this is right by any means, but they all do stupid things just as all of the other people in this world. If everyone did everything right, we wouldn't be on this blog sending comments right now and you wouldn't have anything to read since all they print is trash on people!
Hey, TMZ, why don't you print something that is good about someone once in a while?! Surely one person out there has done something that has helped the community, right?

Lorraine Dodge

Out of all the comments I have read about Mel , I have not seen one that mentioned that alcoholism is a disease, just like cancer, or any other catastrophic illness, Do you not think just because he is a celebrity he does not battle his own demons, because of this illness, and it not only affects him but his whole family, children, and especially his wife, being a wife of a full blown alcholic i know the heartache and the embarrassment, i don't think there is one alcholic who actually's loves to drink, they can't stop and its not a matter of will power , just like a heroin addict, theres not enough will power in the world to make him stop, until he wants to stop for himself. not made to go into recovery thats just going thru the court mandated motions.Being a true Christian i have been living with a alcholic for 30 years, because i took a vow in front of God until death do us part, . And what is truly sad is that I have had one hell of terrible life because of this illness, . In closing, I hope than Mel and anyone else with this disease gets as much sympathy as a cancer patient, who is dying and can't stop it.

Raine, In Rhode Island

Lorraine Dodge

to no 128 I hope you never get sick Judith Postol will it be you who is weak if you get breast cancer , what will you be escaping from? Oh and make sure you don't have any drugs for the pain., you are a hearless person

raine dodge posted 8/21/06

Lorraine Dodge

to #128, i forgot to add your jealousy is showing, just because Mel Gibson has alot of money you wish him a life of misery, how dare you, and then you say i will ask for forgiveness, I got news for you GOD does not forgive those who do not forgive, Do you know God said when you pray you pray the Our Father maybe you should pray that prayer real slow and i try to grasp what it says.If you do not know that prayer send me a message and i will teach it to you.

Jim Deiotte

Mel Gibson is an alcoholic. Yes? And when one is caught up in the grips of whatever drug they are on, alcohol, dugs, sex, gambling, shopping, plastic surgery, over attention to famiy or family members, one looses cite of reality. We all have a right to our illness, to be sick, but we cant act crazy and thats what happened here. But he is a good man, working with his prayer life with the God of his undersatnding, and learning, like the rest of us, we can only take it one step, one day at a time; Can we not 'cast stones' but rather, can we all learn that the closer we get to holiness, the more we can get caught up and recognize our own sin. Its a hard balance,and at some point, we all fall out of favor.. with each other, but never with our creator. Let support the guy, show him the forgiveness we are all entitled to under heavens eyes, and wish him well on his recovery and encourage him with open arms in the forgiveness he is going to need, yes, to even act upon, to recover. To all who read this, thanks for considering my thoughts. However we come to know heaven, it will never be by trashing any one, any of us, any groups of us, so lets teach and remind him, and everyone involved, her and in other matters, that gentle forgiveness is the closest we can ever get to our higher power - God to me.. because it is the stuff that God is made of. Unconditional love - why does that have to be so hard.
Judge not.. we all carry our own capacity to sin... usually in our secrets.

Zelda

I think that Mel Gibson is human, as we all are. And everyone makes mistakes. I think that because all of the good that came out of his production of "The Passion of the Christ", was bound to be targeted by Satan, somehow...The production of "The DiVinci Code" is proof of that. For it fell far short of the Lord's truth. For every good that is done for the Lord, Satan always tries to top it, but never quite succeeds. So I believe that Satan targeted Mel Gibson, himself, to harm in the public's eye and opinion. Not that Mel Gibson should not have consequences for his misbehavior, but the general public is far more cruel than they should be in this issue. I say, "God Bless You, Mel for all that you've done to help spread the true word of God.

Roger

I read in the New York Post that they were NOT going to file charges! Surprise! Well, I hope that he will go on the Windy Moore Show to tell the nation the truth.

Jane

And the point is?

the kid

Ok Harvey, you're feeding on the corpse now.

Toby

I am a gentle, well-mannered Jewish woman. But I will not have my people insulted this way. Despite Mel Gibson's apology, will never go to or rent any movie made by or starring him. I choose to patronize other artists, not this guy. Cést finis.

Mal

Ok honestly....just let it go. Ever heard of a little thing called overkill?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments