"Apocalypto" Star Comes to Mel's Defense

8/3/2006 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of the stars of Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" has come to the director's defense, saying the Gibson involved in the recent DUI arrest and anti-Semitic remarks is not the Mel he knows.

Mauricio Amuy Tenorio

Mauricio Amuy Tenorio, a former model who stars as a Mayan chief in the film, tells "EXTRA" in an exclusive interview that the Gibson scandal has taken him by complete surprise. "I don't have the right to judge what he did," he says.

Tenorio also says he never heard anti-Semitic remarks from Gibson while on the film set in Mexico. "I don't want to say that he's anti-Jewish," he says.

"Apocalypto," filmed in the state of Veracruz, is scheduled to open in theaters December 8. Check local listings for "EXTRA" show times.

James Fields

leave MEL out of all the Bullshit that he is now hooked up in just because he got drunk..................Damn the Hezzbolla.........Tom
P.S. I will watch every movie that Mel puts out!

Dave

Mel Gibson is a kind and altruistic person by all accounts. Trying to demonize him on TMZ.com does not sit well with myself or the legions of fans that are offended by this editorial witchhunt. This whole DUI issue is simply a "tempest in a teapot". I can't wait for "Apocalypto" to come out and rule the box office!

Try This

I can't WAIT to see "Apocalypto" when it comes out! I'm going to see it 3 or 4 times -- whether it's good or not -- just to SUPPORT MEL GIBSON!!

WAY TO GO MEL!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

Try This

I don't give a damn if Mel Gibson makes a movie about paint drying -- I'm going to see it!!

We love you Mel! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

Wanda

I'm seeing this movie the night it opens! I love Mel ,He is crazy, if you have watched enough interviews You would see that he says really insane things, and he had played sick jokes on people. I think he's nuts. If you know anybody that's crazy , you know what jerks they can be when they drink.

Momma

I'm buying tickets!
Can't wait to see his new movie in December.

mike

what an idiot this guy is. he has every right to judge him. I'm not buying tickets.

if mel does a film on Eleanor Roosevelt then I'd go see it.

Lou

I will support Mel. At first I hate Mel because of all the stuff TMZ had up. But eventually, TMZ got me to sympathize with Mel because of all of their excessive coverage. We get it -- Harvey Levin is a Jew and has made it his mission to get Mel. Give it a break, Harvey!

elle

This man needs a break here. Everybody makes mistakes, if we repent, we should be forgiven. Everyone deserves second chances. I don't agree with what he said, and I don't even believe HE believes his comments. This incident is not only affecting him, but everyone who loves him. It was a highly-charged situatiion and people react worse than he every day. He knew this would effect his career and he lashed out against, albeit wrongly, the one who his alcohol affected mind perceived to be the cause of a potential MEDIA FRENZY. He should and IS taking responsibilty for his actions and deserves a chance to atone without such harsh criticism. The hate this is inspiring on BOTH sides of the argument is making me lose faith in the human heart. He will learn something from this and really, that's what life is all about. I feel bad that it had to be on such a public level. Poor guy and his family, its not like he is condoning his actions in any way.

elle

Momma

#3 Mike
Boo Friggin Who?

Sam Doe

Apocalypto rules! Also interesting is Tom Cruise's wedding this weekend -- and this interesting taped interview with one of Tom Cruise's ex-girlfriends who talks about their interesting sex life. Apparently, Tom's lawyers made her sign a 42-page contract before they were allowed to have sex -- and there were 13 pages just on oral sex alone! It also specified the thread count for the sheets, and the brand of water to be served. Oy!

Holly

I love Mel!!! I can't wait to see the movie!!!

dee

The irony is that the only way Mel can get the support and love of Hollywood is if he DID make a film about the Holocaust.

Remember that guy that drugged and raped the 13 year old, ran away from the law by escaping to another country, and then make the movie the Piano, a story centered on the Holocaust? Remember how Roman Polanski then got a STANDING OVATION when he won the Oscar.

And frankly, I am getting irked at ABC. They didn't want to air the crucifix portion of the Madonna concert they are going to air. Madonna threatened NO DEAL, so ABC shat in their pants and are going ahead with it.

Frankly, it is insulting to me, as a Catholic, to see the crucifix, a Christian symbol, be used like that. And you have to take into the equation that Madonna turned her back on Christianism, has bad mouthed it, and now follows Judaism.

I can't even begin to image what would happen if she was prancing a discofied menorah on stage. Would the Jewish community accept that?

I bet Madonna wouldn;t do that because she respects it. But she disrespects the crucifix and everyone is just peachy with that.

What a joke and double standard. Why is Madonna't point of view allowed. Artistic licence, please, since when is being anti-Christian an artistic expression.

Alex Rogers