"Rock Star: Supernova's" Breakout Star

8/3/2006 1:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

zayra_Tommy Lee and Dave Navarro may be established musical bad boys but to catch some true rock star antics on CBS' "Rock Star: Supernova" check out gorgeous contestant Zayra Alvarez.

With her lively and outrageous performances of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" and "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence, the Puerto Rican songstress has stolen the show and become the one to watch this season.

Unfortunately, despite haunting renditions of REM's "Everybody Hurts" and K's Choice "Not an Addict," Zayra has routinely landed in the bottom three.

But since you never know what she is going to do, say (her sassy retorts to the judges' critiques are worth the price of admission alone) or wear next, fans are tuning in just to catch the latest episode of the Zayra show.

A fact that even the judges, Navarro and Lee, pointed out on this week's episode.

A mix of Blondie's Debbie Harry with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Karen O, Zayra's fashion forward ensembles (like the blue skin tight catsuit or her cape, gloves, and boots superhero trifecta) are a welcome change to the standard rock star uniform of black jeans, tank tops and wrist cuffs.

Zayra has the potential to become a musical fashion icon - think Gwen Stefani or J.Lo but edgier.

And if Zayra winds up on top at the end of the competition, the leggy Latina may find that the hardest part of the gig isn't winning but fending off Tommy Lee while on tour.

Check out Zayra Alvarez in all her glory on "Rock Star: Supernova" Tuesdays at 9pm on CBS.

Tracy

Everytime she speaks or sings I thinks, OK this chic is the hard rock version of Celine Dion..........anyone else think the same?

Dilana, now she could front Supernova and that I would pay to see!

Kelly

To Bubba: I think you've smoked too much of your own pipe.

yeahisaidit

...other comments have pointed out my feelings but i must go on record...if tmz wants to report on supernova please go with the actual newsworthness of the show: DILANA! no offense to anyone else in the competition, but no one else even comes close...i feel i was open to give all the others a fair chance, but if the band doesn't scoop that chick right up they are out of their minds...i can't believe how amazingly she consistently brings it week after week...now, it's like she's the only one i watch for...DO A STORY ON HER or else i know you're just after the cheese factor, Zayra? please stop joking...DILANA is the real business and could front that band in a heartbeat...! i hope they don't miss out on what would be an absolutely perfect fit...

Resabella

I believe that she was chosen to be a contestant for ratings, I mean come on.... Idol has weeks of auditions on the air showing a multitude of Zayra's. I think that it's a slap in the face of the talented people both on the show and who didn't quite make it onto the show to have her there.

Unique.....she is NOT. She is a bad collaboration of many people. The horrible Bjork impersonation that she throws into each 'performance' when a real note is required clearly shows that she cannot sing. The outfits are circa Cher when she was trying to be relevant in the 80's. The movements are William Hung meets every really bad wedding MC that tries to make the guests do stupid workout moves as dancing. Each week she destroys a defensless song by trying to make each song punk, which all ends up sounding the same. The house band even laughs at her when she brings them her 'arrangement'. (Not to mention Supernova when they see the performance.)

I would have rather seen Dana grow as a performer than see the tone deaf convulsions that Zayra does each week.

As for the pronouciation of words that people have an issue with. I take offense not to that, but the the blatant lack of respect that she has for the band. SHe is trying to earn a spot with the band, and she is telling them that she's barely heard of them and then throws an age attack in there? Sweetheart please, this is not an audition for a school play or wedding band.

The whole thing is just disgusting.

Alex Rogers

TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynne

She should have been gone weeks ago. This woman can't sing at all, and is by far the least-talented of the rockers who are left.
I try to give her a chance, but I usually wind up muting the television after she's sung a few bars. "Nail on a chalkboard" is putting it mildly!

Your Momma

She can sing, and she is sexy. She is better than some of the other contestants on the show. Even if she doesn't win, she will go further than most of the other "rockers."

Jackson

I don't even know why she was in the top 15 of all the rockers they picked from the get go!!! I am sure that they could have found one more rocker out of all the rockers that auditioned to be the 15th person. She is God awful, she better go next week or I am all done watching the show. I don't think she is sexy or cute at all-nice hair cut- especially the chopped straight bangs. Toby is the best, but they will probably pick a girl.

Zebra Girl

SHE SUCKS! The only reason I watch the show is to see how much she is going to SUCK this week. Not only does she have pitch problems she also has some form of body spasms, or is that supossed to be dancing?

Your Momma

Tatoo:
It is obviously about her being "Latina" and singing for a rock band.
It is too bad that you won't admit that.

pinupcutie

I can't stand Zayra! She sings with such a think ass accent! There are contestants from all over the world competing in this competition and they don't sing with their accents.

She never knows any of the songs and changes the arrangements every single time! She butcher's the hell out of these songs.

But not to worry as so many before wrote...She is a train wreck! They are only keeping her for ratings. She will never win!

My bet is on Storm or Magni!

Visit rockstargohome for great blogs about this mess of an entertainter.

Gram

Most people on that show suck. Zayra is at least interesting, gorgeous and can sing, so yeah, your'e right, she brings the ratings and that's the goal of a TV show.

Storm is talented for sure, but sold her self out. Anyone passing out pubic scabs with pink hair at a show in Oregon, and growns their hair out all nice and blonde for CBS isn't being true to themselves. At least Zayra is rocking her own way and as anyone will agree, all of the artists would do better if they had better songs to sing.

The talent will really be separated this week when everyone has to write lyrics and melodies. I'm looking forward to being proven wrong about Nictine Queen Dullana and Monkeyboy Lukas. I hope their unique and talented singing capabilities are enforced by their superior songwriting abilities.

The worst thing for anyone is for Zayra to win. She's going to sell many more records on her own than Mayhem, I mean Super Nova. And Magni or Dullana will be a nice front for the band. If you listened to their music from two weeks ago, it's a bunch of old guys trying to copy what the kids or doing. Far from hard rocking. Magni matches up nicely with that.

Kelly

To Bubba: I think I have admitted it. No personal objections to her being latin. I do have an OPINION of her being in this band. And its not a match. Thank you.

OhMyOddSpy

Zayra rocks. People are just jealous and hating and from some of the comments, a little but rascist.

Magnus and Big Storm rock as well.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO LOOSE IT, AFTER SHE SANG AND DAVE NAVARRO DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY. SHE IS PURE STAGE PRESENCE 1000 % AND SHE IS COMFORTABLE ON STAGE THE TROUBLE WITH HER IS SHE CAN'T STAY ON KEY. HER VOICE SOUND IS SMOOTH BUT OFF KEY EACH WEEK. WE MUST KEEP HER AROUND JUST TO WATCH HER. SHE IS FUNNY, GREAT AND YOU CAN'T TAKE YOUR EYES OFF FOR A MINUTE. I THOUGHT THE MEN WERE GOING TO NEED A BUCKET OF COLD WATER POURED OVER THEM. INSTEAD THEY NEEDED A STATION BREAK TO COLLECT THEIR THOUGHTS, CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT TOMMY LEE WITH NOTHING TO SAY OR DAVE GREAT CBS.