Harvey to Mel -- Get Real

8/4/2006 2:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonI'm sorry for neglecting my blog, but it's really been crazy this week.

So much has happened so quickly, I wanted a little time to reflect. Initially, I had harsh comments about Mel Gibson, but as the week wore on, I started having conflicting feelings. On the one hand, Gibson was really on the ropes and maybe he did really want help. On the other hand, it's very difficult to get past his anti-Semitic rant.

But I now have some conviction on how I feel. I'm not buying Mel Gibson's p.r. In his second statement, Gibson says "I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display...." Guess what? That's pretty much the definition of anti-semitism: A deep-seeded hatred toward Jews. Notice, Gibson did not blame the remarks on alcohol -- he said he was trying to understand how he could utter those words.

That said, it leads me to the fundamental problem with Mel's mea culpa. In the statement Gibson insists "...I am not an anti-Semite." By his own admission, yes he is.

If Gibson simply acknowledged his anti-Semitism and vowed to take steps to understand why and then do something about it, I would respect that. But Gibson did the opposite. He denied the obvious because he didn't like the label, and then offensively tried to manipulate the Jewish community by disingenuously asking for its help.

Mel's statement feels like a slick move from a clever public relations guy, but at least for me, it's as transparent as vodka.

J.K. Fudd

Harvey Levin in reading your thoughts about Mel Gibson it seems to me that you're prejudiced and anti-Catholic. You can color it any way you want but your
gay envy of a successful imperfect normal man is showing.

lex

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE MEL GIBSON STORY, HE WAS DRUNK AND IS PROBABLY MAD AT ALL THE FLACK HE GOT FROM THE JEWS WHILE MAKING PASSION OF THE CHIRST. HE SAID SOME CRAZY STUFF AND HAS PAID THE PRICE SO HARVEY GET ON WITH SOMETHING ELSE. BECAUSE OF YOU AND THE REST OF THE JEWS RANTINGS I WILL SUPPORT EVERYTHIN MEL!!!!!

I DON'T REMEMBER HARVEY GETTING THIS UPSET, WHEN DRUNK AZZ PARISH WAS HEARD CALLING SOME BLACK MEN NIGGAH'S!!! IF MEMORY IS RIGHT I THINK IT WAS TAPED SO THERE IS VIDEO. I DID NOT SEE TMZ GOING ON AND ON ABOUT IT FOREVER.

LEAVE MEL ALONE, HE WAS RIGHT BY THE WAY AND EVERY ARTIST THAT SUPPORTS BANNING MEL WILL NEVER GET MY SUPPORT FOR ANYTHING THEY DO.

Lu

Harvey, you little squat bodied hypocrite - this post is late since I just got around to reading your blog but had to comment anyway. Why do you judge Gibson so harshly for insulting your faith but yet have a website that overflows with insults against Tom Cruise's faith. I'm neither Jewish nor Scientologist but can't help but notice that your faith is above reproach, Cruise's is to be smeared and belittled. Again, I'm really disappointed to realize what a true hypocrite you are.

Marie

Leave Mel alone and go after all the Nazis that are in the U.S. then you can say you really accomplished something!

Mary Supinger

What a drunk says when drunk and what he might conciously feel can easily be two different things.
I understand that he grew up with a father who is anti-Semitic and perhaps all that crap comes out at times. I believed his apology and I think that anyone who wants to withhold forgiveness, particularly in the name of religion, might need to take a good look in the mirror.