Duran Duran: Hungry Like a W00t!

8/8/2006 3:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon Le BonIt's all about "Electric Barbarella".

Legendary '80s rockers Duran Duran are entering "Second Life" in a big way. The band, which was the first to offer a song as a download on the Internet (wow-did you know that?) and the first to shoot a music video on location ("Rio" and "Hungry Like the Wolf," anyone?), is now the first band to put on a concert in the virtual world.

The virtual online community "Second Life" has recreated concerts, including simulcasting England's Radio 1 "One Big Weekend." But this will be the first time a band will actually perform inside the world with their own "avatars." Avatars are three-dimensional versions of each band member that will be created for "Second Life."

Keyboardist Nick Rhodes says, "Second Life has brought a third dimension to the Internet; it is the new frontier where dreams have become reality".

We can't wait for the virtual remake of the "Rio" video.

*"woot"; : [wuːt]) is a slang interjection used to express happiness or excitement, most often expressed via the Internet. (In case you were wondering)

WTF?

I had the joy of seeing this band live several times over the past 20 or so years.
First concert when I was 11 yrs. old.....dating myself...oops. They have always been progressive, glad to see they are still doing their thing, and doin it so well.

LOVE THEM....then and now. HOT HOT HOT.....John Taylor is so frickin easy on the eyes.

the only one that matters

Duran Duran= pioneers of the music industry, who knew

annoying customer

I hereby declare that w00t should be incorporated into every TMZ story from this day forward. Who's with me?

Jennifa O Jenny

I love Duran Duran - a duranie till the end! Yeah!

woot

woot

Whatever

Enjoyed them growing up! :)

Gina G.

I am also a Duranie til the end. I'll love them always. Simon, John, Nick, Roger, and Andy are my boys! "Wild Boys" forever!!

Go Away

I knew the day would come when someone actually defined what "w00t" means. I knew it wouldn't stay in hacker l33t speaking circles for long....

Judi

Love them Wild Boyz!

Michelle

I have seen Duran Duran 27 times since 1984 and they get better every single time.

Of course they are the first to do this. They're the first to do everything. To say they are pioneers is an understatement.

They kick ass!

Paul

"The band, which was the first to offer a song as a download on the Internet "

You might should ask Jim Griffin (Onehouse.com) about this. He is the former director of Technology at Geffen Records and he's responsible for unleashing the Beast of MP3 - the first band ever was Aerosmith, not DuranDuran. Still, those guys are great.