Help Me Tom Cruise!

8/15/2006 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's ... Tom Cruise?

After Cruise and fiancée Katie Holmes gave an assist to a car accident victim last Saturday on a Los Angeles freeway, it's now time to anoint the "Mission Impossible" star with superhero status. You see for Cruise, saving people from distress isn't reserved for just the big screen. Over the years, Tom has used a multitude of superpowers to help those in need.

Tom Cruise in Superman pose

Super Agility
In 1996, Cruise wasn't involved in just one perilous situation, but three! In March, he came to the aid of a hit-and-run victim in Los Angeles, summoning an ambulance, following her to the hospital and then paying her $7,000 emergency-room bill. "If he's not Superman," Heloisa Vinhas told PEOPLE, "he can be Batman."

Super Sight
Then in August, while sailing the Mediterranean off the island of Capri, Cruise, with wife-at-the-time Nicole Kidman, spotted a sailboat on fire and its five passengers floating on a raft nearby. Cruise immediately sent over his yacht's skiff -- arriving shortly before the sailboat sank. After the incident, Cruise's publicist at the time proclaimed, "If I ever get in trouble, I hope Tom Cruise is nearby." Note to publicist -- the yacht staff also comes in handy.

Super Strength
Later that year, at the British premiere of the first "Mission Impossible," Cruise spotted two young boys getting crushed against barricades by the crowd. Cruise lifted Laurence Sadler, 7, and Christos Tzanetis, 13, to safety. "We are very grateful to Tom," one of the boys' mother said afterwards.

Super Speed
In 1998, Tom rushed to the aid of a woman being mugged in London. The woman in peril, who could have lost nearly $150,000 in jewels, told a local paper after the incident, "Tom was brilliant. He rushed down the road with his bodyguards and chased the attackers away."

So the next time you find yourself in a life-and-death predicament, before you dial 911, perhaps you should look around -- Cruise could be lurking about to save the day.

Brian

Run Katie Run!!!!!!!

lily

Whats next? Is he going to walk on water? He's already created a Katie robot and a child that no one has seen. I dont believe anybodys seen the kid. If you read quotes from the appointed few that say they were allowed to see Suri, they all say the same thing. Shes the most beautiful baby in the world with lots of black hair. Its starting to sound like a recording. And they invited Penelope his old girlfriend to be one of the chosen few? AS IF. I dont believe they took the kid to a skating rink either. With the Enquirer and Star probabley perched in some tree by their house, do you expect us to believe they drove out of there unnoticed?

Bronxboy44

I climbed in to a pick-up truck flipped upside down with a family trapped inside and gas spilling down on it's occupants and pulled them out covering me in petrol and stopping the bleeding on the injured. I had a warrant out for my arrest for unpaid speeding tickets at the time too, risking arrest to boot. When the truckers on the freeway saw what I'd done, they said "wait here, the news crews will be here to interview you". I said " that's not why I did it" and I drove away. This is what good people do. Scientology- I got into a motorcycle accident a few years ago and sustained 6 blown discs, without pain meds I'd be living on disability and soaking up taxpayers money while laying in bed fighting back tears all day long. We SERIOUSLY need to re-evaluate our definition of "hero" I have a half dozen stories like this as well and I am NOT a hero. There are simply good people, bad people and apathetic bystanders. Heros are the folks who go feed the hungry in 3rd world countries, war vets, Mandella, Mother Theresa, firemen, many police officers. Good for Tom for doing what he can and should in such instances, but hero? Tom, tell your publicist to shut up the next time you do the right thing, and oh yeah, come live in my body for 24 hours and see if Scientology replaces pain management for ya!

Italia R Yarmosh

Tom Cruise makes me sick to my stomach. Katie should pick up and go out on her own and become the star she is cut out for. Smart Nicole left him, and looks very happy.

Lars

Because TC stepped up to the plate and unselfishly assisted somebody in distress - you'd think he deserved a break already! Bashers should consider contributing to humanity in some fashion - other than blindly mocking someone who is passionate about life - lets focus some energy on a real problem!!!

lily

Average Joe,
You sound like one hell of a good person. I have MS and living in pain is crap. Hang in the, buddy. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

anna

I bet Tom is BiPolar.. the strange behavior.. this would explain alot of is crazy behavior. Just my opinion.

Kevin Owen

Tom Cruise is trained in the Assist Technology used by Scientologists in an effort to handle Spirtual and Mental Stress which occurs with any accident, injury or illness.

What he did to help did not make him a super hero as anyone can be trained to help someone with the same processes.

It's a pity many of the comments above discredit what he did. If they were trained in the same technology they could probably help someone.

KevinOwen@rehabilitatenz.co.nz

WHAT IS THE RUSH

I WASN'T GOING TO COMMENT, BUT THIS GUY DESERVES IT.
HE SEEMS TO SWOOP IN WHEN TROUBLE HAPPENS, I THINK HE DRIVES AROUND LOOKING FOR IT, AND THEN HAS HIS AGENT CALL THE NEWS. BIG STINKIN DEAL, I HAD AN ACCIDENT HAPPEN IN FRONT OF ME WITH A FAMILY OF FOUR AND A VAN. I STOPPED AND HELPED DIRECTED TRAFFIC AND CALLED THE AMBULANCE WHILE BOTH CHILDREN BLEED FROM THE NOSE, DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THAT NO! TELL THE JERK TO GO BACK IN THE SHELL, WERE DONE WITH HIM AND THE ROBOT WIFE.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

OH MY GOODNESS THE EARTH HAS SHIFTED. TOM IS OUT AND SAVING PEOPLE. CAN I GET AN AMEN

CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH. THE HEAVENS HAVE OPEN. HE WALKS, HE TALKS, LOOK UP IN THE SKY, IT IS A BIRD, IT IS A PLANE, NO IT IS SUPERTOM THE ALMIGHTY OUT TO GET IN THE NEWS. CRAP! HE IS STARTING TO BELIEVE HIS OWN MOVIE ROLES.

bored silly

I agree with the folks who say that these are prearranged situations. Noone on earth (aside from EMTs, cops, and firemen) ever just 'happen' upon that many bad situation in a decade. And some of the stories are just too odd to be true. Who on earth walks down the street without a bodyguard wearing $150,000 worth of jewelry?!?!

Alex Rogers

Isnt he a homo ?

BRENDA

I am just soo sick of hearing ANYTHING about Tom Cruise. I find it odd that he is the only star who happens to stumble upon accidents (this being his 2nd) and then we have to hear about it until we have bile backing up in our mouths. It sounds staged to me, much like his union with Annoying (Katie) Holmes and his alleged child. Why doesn't anyone question why he never had a child with Mimi Rogers (yet when they split up she had a child with her 2nd husband) and then he adopted kids with Nicole Kidman.

I wish he would become a recluse so that I wouldn't have to hear about his judgmental comments like the one towards Brooke Shields re: post partum depression or watching him have an obvious nervous breakdown/mid life crisis on Oprah (jumping on couches like a total idiot) or the EVER ANNOYING DISPLAYS OF FACE SUCKING HE DOES WITH KATIE HOLMES....."WE GET IT YOU TWO CLOWNS YOU KNOW HOW TO KISS!!!" ENOUGH ALREADY.

HERE IS A TIP FOR MR. KNOW IT ALL (Tom)...WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO GIVE BIRTH THEN YOU CAN SPEAK ON AN ISSUE YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE TO COMMENT ON.

IF THE MEDIA WANTS TO GIVE A TRUE STAR AIR TIME WHY NOT GIVE TO MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY, AN OBVIOUSLY GENUINE AND COMPASSIONATE HUMAN WHO IS STILL TRYING TO HELP OUT THE SURVIVORS OF HURRICAN KATRINA.

Kevin Owen

The comments by the last group of posters does show that they are Anti Tom Cruise and probably Anti Scientology. One wouldn't expect anything else but
comments that are bias and stupid

kayla

You owe Tom Cruise and apology Harvy. Your cynical attitude is appalling. Tom Cruise was nice enough to make sure those people were ok, and waited until help came. Who cares if nobody was taken to the hospital, it doesn't mean they were not shaken up. The couple has come out and said that Tom was a real gentleman during their ordeal, why make less of it. It was a wonderful thing for him to do, give him credit.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments