Singer Accused of Illegally Killing Tame Bear

8/16/2006 3:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Troy Lee GentryDULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004. The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine. Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Read the full indictment

Whatever

Number #65 and #66 is a whimpy pussy hiding behind the computer making nasty comments about a poor little bear being killed by another whimpy pussy. Birds of a feather! Both cowards!

linda

I hope they lock him up and through away the key.I always knew there was somthing sinster about him. I have never bought any of his music and I never.will. Only a coward would do what he did. I would like to shoot him my self.

Pupstermum

What kind of person is capable if standing in front of a cage, aiming a bow, pulling back, and shooting a defenseless animal at almost point blank range??? I hope their career goes down the sewer, just like the Dixie Chicks. This is so disgusting, my lunch is coming back up.

MLB & Animal Fan

HOW SICK can someone be to kill an innocent, tame animal - as was reportedly the description of this bear? I agree with "GRRRR"'s comment: How would he like to be caged and then shot himself? This insane, inhumane act can only describe what this person is really like. I've never bought his music, and certainly don't plan on it now!

dms

#65 & #68 you think you're funny don't you? Go somewhere else and post your sarcastic remarks. Why don't you go to this asshole's site and show your support. Maybe you can give him conjugal visits when he's in prison, loser.

gary

I wish they would put me and him in a pen and give me a baseball bat so I could beat the hell out of this coward.That's almost as bad as killing Old Yeller.What a worthless excuse of a human being he is.

Molly

I cannot believe what a horrific act this man is accused of commiting. If true, what the hell is wrong with people? Complete Barbarian and let's not forget what a sleazy S.O.B. that "animal trainer" is too if he did what is alleged. I am frightened to think of what horrific animal abuse people commit that we don't hear about and what is not prosecuted. It makes me want to go vigilante on these assholes.

Then, add to it the bastards in China who are murdering those poor defenseless dogs. I am sick of humans right now...just plain sick.

Heidi

I will be boycotting this group. I actually liked them but now they can just kiss my ass! What a dumbass! I hope justice is served in this case. I wish the judge would call for lethal injection-seems fair to me!

Kim

He will get his

elle

I'd like to shoot this asshole with a bow and arrow, what a merciless bastard

SHOWRESPECT

Troy Lee Gentry is a complete loser and a coward. I hope he gets the maximum jail time but I really wish someone would shoot him with a bow and arrow. I will no longer support anything done by Montgomery Gentry. This guy must be a real pathetic person to buy a bear, kill it, and then make it look like he was hunting. With all the money he has and this is what he does??? Yea thats really "something to be proud of" what a skank.

bethany

Whay kind of a useless piece of garbage COWARD would kill a tame bear trapped in a PEN?

bethany

These are CANNED HUNTS, everyone, and we all need to contact our legislators and demand that they be made illegal.

No REAL hunter participates in canned hunts.

Whatever

What a couple of stupid idiots! I hope they don't just get a slap on the wrist! What kind of a cowardly piss head shoots a bear in a pen? This has to be the biggest COWARDLY act heard in a while.

Whatever

Thanks for the info Kelly!