Singer Accused of Illegally Killing Tame Bear

8/16/2006 3:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Troy Lee GentryDULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004. The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine. Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Read the full indictment

stan

Go to jail go directly to jail do not pass go do not collect $200

betsy

DON'T BUY THEIR RECORDS!!! Pass it on to anyone who will listen. E-mail campaigns can work.

Kim

Thanks kelly

John

And I'm sure the cow that died to make your Big Mac/leather steering wheel cover wasn't killed in an enclosed pen at a close range. It was probably part of one of the many wild cow herds we have in the US that live in the forest and often elude capture by their speed and agility.

By the way, are you guys at TMZ sure you've ID'd the right singer? I think this is a photo of Ricky Martin after eating the bear.

sasha

Wow.. killed a *tame* bear in an *enclosed* pen.

What a man.

/disgusted

mae

What an absoulute idiot. It doesn't matter if you have a permit!! Kill a tamed bear in a small pen for what, so he can thinki he is all cool and manly? Makes him look like the biggest looser around. He is disgusting and I WAS a fan...not anymore. I hope he gets the maximum and his music be boycotted!!!!

Lu

Ignorance of the law (his manager says he didn't realize it was wrong) is not a defense. Minnesota hunting laws REQUIRE that all hunters know the state laws and abide by them. I'm not a hunter but I am a DNR certified Firearm's Safety Instructor for the state of Minnesota and the state provides a synopsis of hunting laws to all licensed hunters, require hunters to know the laws and follow them. Personally I think the best punishment for this moron is to hit him where he'll hurt the most - in the wallet. I've already destroyed the cd's I had and vow to never spend another dime in cd's or concert attendance in which he has any involvement. (Actually what I would really like to see for moron Gentry is his own personal rendition of "Dueling Banjoes" - that ought to be just fine retribution. What's that old saying? Oh, yeah - I think it was something like "squeal like a pig".) Lord knows he's a revolting pig for doing something so inhumane.

Kirk-Montreal

SOMEONE SHOULD SHOOT THAT LOSER COUNTRY SINGER WITH A BOW & ARROW , RIGHT BETWEEN THE LEGS.....THE STUPID FUCK...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Harrell

This guy is a terrible waste of space. When are we as living beings going to stop killing poor helpless animals. Taking a life doesn't make you a big man.
My heart aches when I think of the fear that poor bear must have felt after being domesticated only to be murdered at the hand of a human.

I prey for all the animals,

Bryan Harrell

ANGELUS

HE NEEDS TO HAVE HIS NUTS CUT OFF

Sunny77

Despicable and unbelievable. What kind of a man is he? If true, obviously not one with integrity or character. Can he possibly take pride in that kind of trophy? I don't think they call what he did hunting,.. it reminds me more of a spoiled and twisted coward.

me

He isn't a man! He's a pussy and very pathetic! I hope he rotts in prison for 5 years! This just made me sick...

Okay..................... You all need to go to www.cmt.com and POST on MG's message board that CMT has on their site!!

Weezie

This is disgusting! I always thought he looked like a wannabe loser in his videos and on TV. He's basically a no-talent that thinks he is hot for some unknown reason!! What a wimp!! And so un~manly!! I will never support this guy or his music......wait a minute....never did!! I will be sure everyone hears about this one! Country music should shun him and his kind. I hope they throw the book at him!!

C.P.

What a loser and pig he is!!! I hope he gets more than a small fine.

Mary

The great white hunter, this is an "outdoorsman", someone that takes a pet bear named 'cubby' and shoots arrows into a penned up, confused, terrified animal. Even deers usually get 1 lucky shot to the head. How horrific. I hope they throw the book at this redneck moron.
He needs an hour in a pen with a man eating Grizzly , that out to widen his sense of respect for animals----- inbetween bites.........