Clooney Rides the (Green) Lightning

8/17/2006 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George Clooney certainly puts his money where his mouth is, especially when it comes to cars.
George Clooney
The acclaimed actor, director and activist has purchased not just one, but two electric vehicles. However, these vehicles aren't the stereotypical electric cars with wimpy power and body stylings better suited for a George Foreman grill. These are high performance rides.

The first vehicle in Clooney's stable is the Tango, which looks more like a filing cabinet than a legal street machine. In fact, the car is five inches narrower than the Honda Goldwing motorcycle. But size doesn't seem to matter when it zooms from 0-60 mph in four seconds. To put that kind of blazing speed into perspective, the new Corvette Z06 does 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The two-seat vehicle can also lane-split per California law. Maybe the ability to weave in and out of LA traffic will keep the star from being late to movie shoots.
Tesla Raodster
Now, if Clooney would rather blaze the streets in an environmentally safe ride that looks more like a Lotus or Porsche, well, he has that covered as well with the electric-powered Tesla Roadster. The hot convertible is the brainchild of Tesla Motors, based in Northern California. (The company has no discernible connection to the Sacramento-based hard rock legends.) Even though the $100,000 cars won't be available until mid-2007, the inaugural 100 vehicles have already sold out. Just like the Tango, the Tesla Roadster goes from 0-60 mph in 4 seconds.

Even though Clooney isn't the only "green" actor out there -- Leonardo DiCaprio famously drives a Prius -- he's certainly the fastest.

donna

my boyfriend just bought me a 1995 buick park avenue. that will just have to do unless mr. clooney wants to buy me a cutie lil electric sports car too, lol.

marie mingino

GEORGE CLOONEY IS GETTING OLD............FUNNY I WILL TAKE HIM EVEN 10YEARS FROM NOW.

Garry

For those negative people , my gas go to $10 a gal and I hope you own a hummer, way to go George !

Jack

Damn George......wish I had your scoots......I'd be having one of each of those puppies also......... Lane cutter #1.......allowed to go on the diamond lane also ????????

The benefits of the scoots. Damn. I have to use a bike and it scares me to death..........Have fun and screw the adverse idiots. They just envious, like me.

Rlynn Sarj

Aw , come on.. Would'nt you do it too-If You Could?

dee dee

Hello 2 everyone! Where have all the nice people gone? We are not suppose 2 be jealous about anyone, in any way. We should be happy for anyone who gets what they have worked 4 and their hearts desire. If you have this attitude, you too could someday have your dreams come to past. Just be happy for those who are better off financialy. Your probably better off then alot of people in other ways. Besides money isn't everything. It's whats' in your HEART that really matters, afterall. I think his cars are quite cool. Who knows, one day George might give you a ride in 1 of his great cars. I truly am happy and excited 4 him. I think it's really great. I just PRAY 4 his safety whiles he's driving. Congradulations George, by the way you look great for your age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BO CARPENTER

IT'S SO NICE TO SEE THAT YOU ABOUT CLOONEY, ARE ALL SO PERFECT.

marie

I deeply admire the fact that despite the temptations of an LA culture that is deeply fixated on plastic surgery and cars that George Clooney goes his own way and that he has his own "pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will," that has him living an artistic life that seems to want to explore the larger questions of the greater good of society. These days, how nonconformist is that?

Dimples

#47 Izzy.

You are the dummy. George was born in Lexington, Kentucky.

jimbo

F clooney, he's doin this for show. He'll never actually drive these vehicles; get back on your indian george!

Mom

It looks like a toy! And one I wouldn't buy! LOL

Jeff

Clooney and the like are completely full of crap. I am so god damned tired of people who are rich who abuse every privilege there is, tell us how WE should live OUR lives. He is a spoiled, over priveleged little rich boy who has never spent one day of his life knowing what is truly like to worry about anything. My VW Diesel is still cleaner from a green house gas standpoint than his hybrid and gets better mileage at real world speeds.
Screw him and the golden horse he rode in on.

Wes

He drives the Tango T600 according to their web site at a cost of over $100,000 a copy. Check it out......

Fred Flintstone

I would really be impressed with old George if he were to drive his Tango to his villa on Lake Como for the shooting of Ocean 43!

sprky777

a few celebrities buying electric cars will have no effect on the environment. BUT, it helps finance the companies that produce them so they can engineer CHEAPER electric cars for everyone else. Then when electric cars become common it will have a large effect on pollution. Plus we can then reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Sure, it takes coal, nuke, oil, hydro whatever to charge these cars but the power plants are much more efficient with these fuels than a gasoline engine in a car. electric wins.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4