Mel Gibson Cops a Plea

8/17/2006 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonTMZ has learned Mel Gibson's lawyer went to the Malibu Courthouse Thursday and appeared with the prosecutor to reveal a plea deal. Gibson has agreed to three years probation, but will avoid jail time. Gibson was ordered to attend one year of AA meetings. For the first four-and-a-half months he must attend five times a week. For the remainder of the time, he must attend three times a week. Gibson must also pay $1200 in fines and penalties as well as one hundred dollars in restitution.

Gibson volunteered to do a public service announcement on the hazards of driving under the influence. He also volunteered to enter a rehab program immediately.

Under the deal, Gibson pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor of driving with a .08 blood alcohol level or higher. The misdemeanor count of driving under the influence was dismissed. The infraction of driving with an open container of alcohol was also dismissed.

Under California law, Gibson will have his driver's license restricted for 90 days.

Gibson's lawyer initially went to Division 3, but Judge Terry Adamson refused to take the plea because she is a neighbor of Gibson's. The case was moved to Division 1 where Judge Lawrence Mira took the plea. A number of celebrities have passed through Mira's courtroom, including Nick Nolte, Nicole Richie, and Kim Delaney.

Gibson was not in court for the plea.

Click here to check out the plea bargain documents

Linda

I hope he understand how serious a crime it is to drive drunk...you are volunteering to kill someone...I am all for giving a person with an addiction a chance...but if it happens again...something more serious needs to make him see how wrong it is...like at least ''some'' jail time.

Hopefully, it won't happen again!

I want to believe that he didn't mean any of the horrible things he said about Jews...and I know there was that Rabbi that said he was friends with Mel....but I dont know, sometimes you Can say things you Mean when you are drunk, that you HIDE when you are not drunk... and maybe he doesn't like this Rabbi at all really.

I hope this is not the case...how disgusting prejudice of any kind is!

knowall

Thats alot of A.A..He's really going to be there five times a week for 5 months?..how long before he gets out of that?

Lisa

I'm very proud of Mel for doing PSA on drunk driving.

A Devoted Mel Gibson Fan

Nicole

i think that people need to relax. People say racist things all the time, and at this time there are a lot of Jewish backgrounded wars going on. So, it is what it is and if you are offended then you are going to have to get over it, just like everyone else gets over stuff.

Linda

The war is wrong and prejudice is wrong...
I never liked prejudice jokes..only ignorant people make them

louis

TMZ is CLEARLY OUT TO GET MEL GIBSON AGAIN... PERIOD!
WHY?... IF YOU CAN SEE WHO WRITES THE PAYCHECK FOR TMZ, THERE IS YOUR ANSWER... THERE ARE FAR MORE IMPORTANT NEWS THAN MEL GIBSON DUI.. AS FAR AS JAIL TIME FOR GIBSON'S DUI, YOU ARE SMOKING THAT FUNNY STUFF AGAIN... CAREER CRIMINALS DON'T GO TO JAIL AND YOU THINK MEL GIBSON SHOULD???????????

Gene Husky

I voted no,that he was not treated fairly...I think the agreement was to harsh.People take driving and drinking to far out of context...I am a non-drinker..But I have seen to many people suffer by social drinking...You will never get the killer drinker off of the road..The killer drinker can;t be stopped...Only the social drinkers are removed...

Efrain

Let just hope That he gets in trouble within those three years so he goes to Jail, I could care less about Mel.

Tahara

It is truely amazing what being rich and famous can do for a person. You get your second drunk driving offense, and you get your license taken away for 90 days, you pay $1200 in fines and $100 in restitution (which we all know wont dent Mr. Gibson's check book at all), AA for a few months, and you don't even have to show up in court for the plea. Hollywood makes me sick, this guy could have killed someone, and I'm sure if he did his punishment probably wouldn't have been much worse. If this would have happened to one of us every day people, we would be sitting in jail, paying up the a** in fines, and wouldn't have a license for years. Do you honestly think that Mel will learn from this pathetic excuse for a plea deal?! NO he wont, he's going to be back driving on the streets intoxicated sooner or later, especially since he's license was only suspended for 90 days. Pathetic!

Linda

It's wrong to blame a whole race for something only some people did...you cant say ALL Italians are in the Mafia....ALL Irish people are drunks....ALL black people do this or ALL Asian people do that! And so on....

It's also wrong for anyone to think Jews or Arabs and so on should be banned from taking planes. There are many innocent people in this race like in any other. All people should be treated the same.... All people should be checked at airports for safety....

Prejudice is "Ignorant" and harmful...people need to realize this!!

Sandy

It's amazing how Jews get blamed for everything ... even Mel Gibson's driving drunk!

Cas

RE: comment number 1 by LOU

_______

"1. GAWD, GIVE IT UP, TMZ!!!! HOW MANY JEWS WORK THERE?? GIVE THIS UP. NO ONE CARES.

MEANWHILE, JONBENET RAMSEY'S MURDERER IS CAUGHT AND NOT ONE PEEP FROM TMZ. I THOUGHT YOU GUYS COVERED LEGAL ASPECTS.

PATHETIC.

Posted at 2:07PM on Aug 17th 2006 by Lou"

Read the FACTS Of the JonBenet Case and you will see the man is lying through his teeth. He states he took her from school to the basement of the Ramsey home and "accidently" killed her after drugging her. She was not in school at the time ( christmas break), she was with her parents all night at a party according to the facts and there were no drugs found in her system according to the autposy report.

If his DNA matches then I will believe, until then he is a liar IMO, trying to escape charges in Thiland.

niner655

everyone has a racist streak, whites hate jews and blacks, blacks hate whites and mexicans and so on no race is perfect, and he has the right to his beliefs personally i dont think a man would put up his own money to do a movie, that he didnt think would ever sell about jesus christ unless he believes and hey we all say mean things when were drunk and someone gets in our way i myself have said things to people that i wouldnt normally say, because i was drinking, give him a break, his father hates jews, and in his drunkin stupor he said some things he remmebered his father saying let him go anf get on with your lives

maine woman

90 day suspension is too light. Should've been for at least a year. Non celebs get whacked much harder.

Linda

I dont smoke anything...
Maybe jail time is harsh..all I meant to say is that too many people think that driving drunk is not a serious issue and I have had 2 people I loved injured by a drunk driver.. so YES, I take it personal.
I am glad Mel didn't go to jail ''this time'' and I hope all the things he is going to do will heal him and make him get over his addition..for his sake and for people on the streets sake, when he is on the road.
I even said that I am all for giving a person with an addiction a second chance.
I truly hope he learns his lesson, I will be proud of him if he talks against drunk driving.
As for the prejudice remarks, I hope he didn't mean them. Only he knows for sure.
And as for people not going to prison that DO deserve to go...like killers and rapists....I say....what kind of a system do we have...it's sick!