Gibson Not to Apologize to Temple In Person Yet

8/18/2006 9:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The rabbi who invited Mel Gibson to speak at his temple tells TMZ that Gibson has officially declined the invitation to appear before the Jewish congregation ... for now.

Rabbi David Baron says he was recently contacted by Gibson's publicist, who claimed the actor remains "deeply involved in personal work which includes rehab, therapy and counseling for alcoholism."

You may recall Baron, the Rabbi for the Temple of the Arts, asked Mel Gibson to his temple on Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. In the letter, Baron made it clear that he "did not invite Mel Gibson to speak; I invited him to deliver a public apology."

In accordance with Gibson's situation, Baron says he has extended the offer to a later date. In addition to the invitations, the rabbi says he has also volunteered to join with a group of Jewish leaders dedicated to educate Gibson about the dangers of anti-Semitism.

UPDATE: Late Friday afternoon, Mel Gibson's publicist, Alan Nierob, told TMZ "Mr. Gibson hasn't declined any offers, as I haven't even discussed any offers with him. It's way too soon in his recovery , and frankly he is not interested in anything public or a photo opp."

As for Rabbi Baron's statement that Gibson rejected his request to appear at Yom Kippur services, Nierob said; "I was very clear when I spoke to the kind Rabbi yesterday that I cannot even bring any requests to my client at this time, as it is inappropriate and too early in his recovery process. He completely understood my position on this and even offered to meet with my client at a later time if and when appropriate. Also, I told him that the public nature of the request was also inappropriate."

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

BlackMetal

Good for Mel! The Jews don't ask for forgivness for all the shit they have caused in the media, lest the world! They do this plain sober and not f****** up drunk like Gibson. Spend time on REAL issues like Katrina, Iraq and not some stupid shit like this.

BlackMetal

Barb

I think if Mel Gibson was just some poor, dumb, working person like me nobody would give a s**t what he said when he was drunk. Nobody would know and nobody would care. You can't hold drunk talk against someone. I like Mel Gibson as an actor, he's not hard on the eyes, and I don't give a flying crap about what he does or does not believe. He entertains me and his movies make me feel all kinds of emotions and some are just plain kick ass action. It's not like any of us hangout with him and know him personally I don't care what he said or didn't say. I will still go to his movies and movies he produces.

bugsy

I am Jewish and I really am not affected by what Mel Gibson says, but what offends me are the racist comments left by other people here...when is the world going to stop being so ignorant???

j barret jones

Finally, someone who has the courage to speak out against the zionist control of Hollywood and the brainwashing of our government officials to do whatever the zionist entity wishes. If it were not for the US Government support for that entity, we would not be hated so much around the world.

Beth Self

Right on # 180. If I am not mistaken Mel Gibson made a public apology via the news media.
I feel that should be sufficient. Why should he be compelled to visit a synagogue in order to make another apology to one group of people. The public apology, via the media, is enough.

Posted on Aug 20th 2006 by Sam

Mel did'nt say what he said in front of the public or a group of people in a synagogue, so whether he gave a personal public apology or had his lawyer or personal friend relay his apology should be enough. If I'm not mistaken, the arresting officer is Jewish and he chalked it up to Mel being drunk.

jason

Are we seriously now getting into black racism discussion?
Keep your eyes focused on the main point, people. This was about Mel insulting Jews.
Now to those against it, grow up. Read what the other's right and learn your religion. It's about forgiveness. We never said FORGET, but forgiveness is the key word.
How dare you defend the right of the jewish people if you don't live by your own religious doctrines.
Mel is a christian, he apologized. Do you want HIM to go die on a cross for his mistake? No death? Then leave it alone.
A donation to the jewish community was an idiotic idea only to for publicities sake. Money doesn't make the world go round, but people living according to their teachings do. it's not about politics or the publics thoughts, it's about HIM and what he feels is right.
Now....go do what you know you'll do and watch Mel Gibson's latest movie. Because why? They ARE good and you'll watch them no matter what his case his.

Danette

Im sorry to read #227 by PJ about Antwerp, Brussels and Israeel but it and those before it prove only one thing....Jews are all different , good and bad, some are ignorant, have wrong ideas and prejudices...just like the rest of us. The are people. Because of their suffering the last 2000 years and the Holocaust they are maybe more fearful than the rest of us. And a bit angry.

Danette

I say AMen to #100 by Pat. And point taken to the one who wrote about the 8,000 murdered Ukranians (mostly by Stalin who starved 10,000 of them to death. All reaces have been perscuted in this world because it is hate and vicious cruelty that dows this and the author of that hate and persecution is Satan who hates all mankind. Stirringup hate over Gibson's comment is no different.

Danette

To J Barret Jones who wrote #290...your coments dismay me. If we are "hated by so much of the world" for doing what is right, so be it. I hope we never stop standing up for Israel. I forgive Mel his tirade and disrespect for the cops because he was drunk; in an altered state. And obviously has been struggling with something for a while. He apologised and for now I am willing to leave it at that. Nevertheless, it upset me as do all such things. I am assuming that you are not drunk and in danger of arrest, therefore it troubles me more. Open your eyes. Israel has been walked all over by the Arabs,etc. for over 50 years; more if you count the settlers struggles there before Partition in (was it ' 47 or ' 48?). They have ,before this, only fought in self defense. I do not think this action against Lebanon was handled the way it should have been; even Israeli soldiers are angry. So, there will be negotiating done. But tell me...how would you like to have Cuba lobbing bombs at Florida for 5 years, then allowed to move their folks into Georgia and start firing at Florida from there? Do you think the US would stand for that for even 5 days, never mind 5 years??? That is what has been happening to Israel from Lebanon...for 5 years. And they all knew that Iran has been supplying Hezbollah with weapons and backing them (as well as terrorists in Iraq). But of course, your remark was not about that, but a blanket verbal destruction of an entire race of people; not a political entitiy such as Muslims or Nazis or Communists, but just all the Jewish people in general, everywhere. You unmitigated, ignorant ASS.

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18