Gibson Not to Apologize to Temple In Person Yet

8/18/2006 9:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The rabbi who invited Mel Gibson to speak at his temple tells TMZ that Gibson has officially declined the invitation to appear before the Jewish congregation ... for now.

Rabbi David Baron says he was recently contacted by Gibson's publicist, who claimed the actor remains "deeply involved in personal work which includes rehab, therapy and counseling for alcoholism."

You may recall Baron, the Rabbi for the Temple of the Arts, asked Mel Gibson to his temple on Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. In the letter, Baron made it clear that he "did not invite Mel Gibson to speak; I invited him to deliver a public apology."

In accordance with Gibson's situation, Baron says he has extended the offer to a later date. In addition to the invitations, the rabbi says he has also volunteered to join with a group of Jewish leaders dedicated to educate Gibson about the dangers of anti-Semitism.

UPDATE: Late Friday afternoon, Mel Gibson's publicist, Alan Nierob, told TMZ "Mr. Gibson hasn't declined any offers, as I haven't even discussed any offers with him. It's way too soon in his recovery , and frankly he is not interested in anything public or a photo opp."

As for Rabbi Baron's statement that Gibson rejected his request to appear at Yom Kippur services, Nierob said; "I was very clear when I spoke to the kind Rabbi yesterday that I cannot even bring any requests to my client at this time, as it is inappropriate and too early in his recovery process. He completely understood my position on this and even offered to meet with my client at a later time if and when appropriate. Also, I told him that the public nature of the request was also inappropriate."

Garrett

He's an anti-Semite. If you can't take that to heart, and acknowledge that he was in the wrong, then there is something wrong.

get a life people

How much more ass kissing must this man do....I mean come on he didn't kill somebody...People get drunk and say things they don't mean or remember...He should be left alone...Pick on somebody else..........

Lance K.

Now this is funny

Lance K.

Harvey we know you are jewish but stop beating this dead horse unless you're also willing to take on Paris Hilton and her variety of racial comments (while not drunk) then we can talk. But right now you are just a hypocrite with an ax to grind

Cary

Good god. Enough is enough. The poor little Jewish people that can't handle someone talking bad about them need to grow up. Didn't your mommy ever tell you stick and stones.... I'm sure if she didn't that someone else has. This whole thing is completely ridiculous.

Westley

Get over it Rabbi David Baron! Mel Gibson doesn't have to make any more apologies, he did it already.

Your Dutch TMZ-fan: Westley

South Florida

Mel Gibson has given the most public apology he can possibly give.....in front of the entire world. I think Mel should tell the Jewish community to accept it or not. Its clearly Harvey Levin of TMZ that is completely exploiting this for all its worth.
I heard HL on Air America radio talking with SM, accepting congratulations for exposing the Mel Gibson story. She eluded to HL working for the NATIONAL ENQUIRER in the past. SPEAKS VOLUMES, doesn't it?

Chicago

O.K. lets hear it "Mel Gibson, that selfish bastard, how dare he admit that hes messed up, has huge problems and is taking steps to get help before he says sorry again". Hes a wealthy, successful celebrity and is not allowed to make mistakes like the rest of us, he has to be perfect.
Americans are the most generous and helpful people in the world.If theres people in need, money to be raised or a major disater anywhere in the world, Americans are the first to give.....but you cant even forgive one of your own, thats sad.

Some Sense

It would not have become a big deal if MG wouldn't have previous precarious problems as an AntiSemite himself and his former father.... Like father, like son... it has turned out to be so true! Poeple, an apology is not sufficient when you do not mean it or when you say it as a PR repair. He's still a racist and a son of &(&( of the worst kind. I salute Spielberg for standing in front of his belief. He hates Mel... oh oh! Mel's in troouble with Holywood! yeah!

Milly

I agree with #8 - time to move on from this and get over it!

My two cents

You got to love the controversy! Someone says something bad about Jews and the Jews come out fighting and screaming racisim at the top of their lungs, yet it is the same Jews that rant and rave about other races and expect that this is all okay. Friggen Losers. So what, Mel Gibson said something you didn't like--get over it, go out and spend 400.00 on dinner and leave a 5.00 tip...idiots.

Nick

poopy!

Lori

I would be sure that if Mel Gibson is in rehab and the program of AA he'll be working the Twelve Steps. He will work them with a sponsor. In his Fourth step he'll face his resentments towards others, and deal with them accordingly. Then at the Ninth step he'll be ready to make those Amends if he has truly changed at all. They should include his family, the Jewish community as well as the Sugar Tits community...
~I believe he will do this thing. He is a human being and has made mistakes, BIG ones. Let's not be so fast to condem him to hell, y'all?? C'mon. Be sweet, don't be doing as he has done.

EGO

As long as Mel has the capacity to make money for the Jews in Hollywood, they will turn the other cheek, and line their deep pockets.

But once he's all used up, ka-pu-wee!!!

At the moment, anyone who can garner attn by supporting/basting Mel will do so while the irons hot. PR 101

If I stopped supporting (directly & indirectly) every race/religion based on what one person said/done,,, I would fuckin starve, in the street, naked!

To my Jew Crew: Invest in thicker skin, please?

John Doe

He's getting pumped up again because Disney didn't cancel Apocalypto. Basically, he was just worried about losing the moolah - that was the motivation for his "contrition".

Don't you get it? He's in it for the money ... like ALL the Xian huxsters.