GMA

Signs New Weatherman Today

8/22/2006 1:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sam Champion to join GMATMZ has learned New York TV personality Sam Champion will become the new "Weather Anchor" for ABC's "Good Morning America."

Sources say the deal will be inked today. Champion, who did the weather for WABC in New York for 19 years, will leave the station for the network gig beginning the first week in September. We're told Champion will do double duty for WABC on the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts until the station finds a replacement.

Champion, the perennially boyish blond TV fixture, has been a fill-in weatherman countless times on GMA. He's also substituted for Regis and Larry King on their respective shows.

We're told GMA will make weather a significantly more important part of the show -- hence, Champion's new title, "Weather Anchor."

New York represents seven percent of the national TV market, and Champion's popularity makes this a big get for the Alphabet network.

shry

Great addition to GMA...I also heard that Chris Cuomo is going to do Robin's old job!! Another yummy addition. Although, I was secretly hoping that Chris was going to get Charlie Gibson's job. No offense to Robin, she does a great job...it's just the old boy and a girl thing!!
I was out of the loop for a while, working day shifts, now i'm back to evening shifts, i never miss GMA. soooooo, since i was out of the loop, can someone please tell me where Tony Perkins went????

Pieta

Good luck Sammy!!!!!!!!! We will miss you here in NY.

Irene

Tony Perkins has moved back to D.C. He does the weather for a local channel. What's going to happen with Mike Bars?

Nancy

So glad about Chris Cuomo and Sam Champion...they will add a lot to an already excellent news program. I found Mike Barr annonying. He certainly wasn't any Tony Perkins.

jeannie

Congratulations Sam!
I am not a fan of ch 7 per se...but am a news Junkie!
I am a fan of YOURS! ( and family)

Great job! and best wishes

Jeannie!

Alison Hagenbuch

What happened to Mike Bars, I really like him!?

Alison Hagenbuch

I really like Mike Bars-what happened to him?

Joey

I like Mike Bars too... Very nice to look at. And Sam is very gay. Duh.

PN

I was just in New York about 3 weeks ago (on vacation) and saw meterologist Sam Champion doing the 5 pm news on the ABC station. I am pleased that he is getting the job on Good Morning America. He provides humor, is very upbeat and he has been good subbing for Regis Philbin on Live With Regis and Kelly. 19 years?! He looks so YOUNG for being on that New York station for so long! Looks like he could have been in any boy band such as the Backstreet Boys. I wish him the best with GMA !

Jo Ann Vega

I hope Sam will learn to control that phoney laugh of his as not everything is as funny as he thinks it is.

Marcia Sackett

where is mike bars going, he was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mary alice blalock

I think you should keep Mike Bars. He has a wonderful personality and is so great with audience/crowds. I think, seeing Sam, ondifferent shows, is a little stiff. What will happen to Mike for he was a great addition to GMA ?

Terri

Mike Barz is a "real" man and will be missed on GMA. When he left Chicago, I was thrilled to find him on GMA. He will show up somewhere great, I'm sure. Also, for you "Sam is gay" claimers, gay can still be really nice to look at and hot.

Freddie

is Sam gay? maybe he should hang out with Lance Bass

Nico Sneako

Another white guy reporting weather. I guess it would have killed them to stray from the blond hair and blue eyes-and get someone that looks more like the dmeographic in the market of the area.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments