GMA

Signs New Weatherman Today

8/22/2006 1:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sam Champion to join GMATMZ has learned New York TV personality Sam Champion will become the new "Weather Anchor" for ABC's "Good Morning America."

Sources say the deal will be inked today. Champion, who did the weather for WABC in New York for 19 years, will leave the station for the network gig beginning the first week in September. We're told Champion will do double duty for WABC on the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts until the station finds a replacement.

Champion, the perennially boyish blond TV fixture, has been a fill-in weatherman countless times on GMA. He's also substituted for Regis and Larry King on their respective shows.

We're told GMA will make weather a significantly more important part of the show -- hence, Champion's new title, "Weather Anchor."

New York represents seven percent of the national TV market, and Champion's popularity makes this a big get for the Alphabet network.

Deez and Doz

Maybe Sam and Chris will provide some hot boy on boy action . . . anything for ratings. Robin is one hormone away from being a man . . . in the gay/lezbo column, we have Robin and Sam . . .

Audrey

I miss Mike! I am a GMA fan ... but I think they made a big mistake. I turn the station to Today when Sam comes on.

Ronald Landweer

My wife and I just want to add our thought regarding Mike Barr. He is terrific. I must add a "ditto" to all of the above thoughts. ABC has made a grave mistake by replacing him. The guy has a wonderful personality, a great sense of humor, and wit. Plus his rapport with the crowd was outstanding. Bring him back, or you will lose us.

kw

I'm not a Sam fan at all.... but I thought Mike Barr was TOOO GOOD to just be a weatherman right from the start. He should be a host. I hope he's going on to bigger and better things. I've been a GMA fan since David Hartman days and must say that I'm just not feelin' it these days..... & now Mike is gone too!

Kathy B.

I too am very disappointed that Mike Barr is no longer on "Good Morning America" . I looked forward to your show in the mornings , the chemistry was great, then Charlie left and the you let Mike go . I am now watching Today.

dwight macrae

huge mistake,Mike Barr was great.The first week I watched him I thought ABC has a winner with that guy and all of a sudden he is gone.unbelievable.

Laura from Buffalo, NY

I am so disappointed with ABC's decision to replace Mike with Sam Champion. My entire family (husband & 2 teens) watch GMA every AM, & we all think Sam seems too insincere...too "Hollywood" ,if you will. We miss seeing Mike. He was someone that we felt able to relate to. We watched GMA to see him. Tony was great...Mike was even better. He has a terrific personality..seemed like he was part of our home, as we ate breakfast and got ready for work and school. Sam is not a "come on into my home" kind of personality. We find his weather updates, and general presence on the program a disruption of our morning. We love Diane & Robin, however, we feel we are going to give Matt & Meredith a try now. It would be nice to know where Mike went to...there was never any explanation......?

Sandy

Mike Barr should have been given the host spot....Since Robin Roberts took over I have switched to NBC THE TODAY SHOW. I watched GMA for the last 12 years and hated switching, but hate watching it more with Robin co hosting it. Sorry Diane!
Sandy

Appletarte

They should give Mike Chris Cuomo's job . Chris looks like a deer in the headlights every morning. I think he's still in shock that he actually got the job.

Patty

I love Chris Cuomo and he does a great job, but Sam Champion has to go. His phony laugh drives me crazy and I have to change the station when he comes on.
What ever happened to Mike Bars?

marsha allen

oh.....my....god....you must be kidding...i have been waiting for mike to return and now i know that is not happening...are you people insane...mike was the best thing that ever happened to gma....the new "guy" is boring...gma is not my am choice any more....i will be watching your competitors....very bad decision gma...you will loose many viewers....duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shirley

To #3 Alex. So what if he is GAY. He is very good. Everyone knew he was but that should not stand in the way of someone doing a good job as he is.
Hot Stuff80