Manilow:

Not Hip Enough For Emmys

8/25/2006 2:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

082506-barry-manilowIn its never-ending quest to provide you with the moments that everyone will be talking about Monday after the Emmys, TMZ offers: King of schmaltz-pop Barry Manilow.

The 60-year old crooner will be performing at the Emmy Awards on Sunday, and the drama of his performance might not be whether the Manilow can still hit the high notes, but whether he can get through it without falling flat on his face.

Manilow announced earlier this month that he was going to delay surgery on both of his hips until after the Emmy Awards, where he'll be participating in a special tribute to Dick Clark. The singer is also nominated for Best Performance in a Variety Show for his PBS special "Music and Passion." But the usually self-assured Barry recently said, "I'm anxious to make it through the Emmy Awards and then right to the hospital."

So it looks like it'll be a bit of a struggle for Manilow and his rickety hips, providing one of the more riveting, TiVo-ready moments of the telecast. Will he make it? And do you really care? Most of all, what Manilow classic performance will you miss the most if the legend is laid up for longer than we'd care to think about?

Sandy

Only shallow, small-minded people would give negative comments to the musical icon of Barry Manilow. Whether or not you like his music,,,give credit where credit is due.
His songwriting talent is only second to his performances....
You go, Barry!!

Linda Rose

Barry is still wonderful after all of these years. Age has improved him and obviously he could very well retire. But, he loves what he does and his fans. I wish him nothing but the best at the emmys and with his surgery. Making it to the emmys in itself is quite an honor: whether he wins or not. Barry, I love your music and you. The first time I seen and heard you sing "Mandy" I loved your sound and said you were so cute in a dorky sort of way and I still think and feel that way. By the way that is not meant as a put down it is a compliment. Love Forever and a Day, Your Friend

Margie Sammel

Barry your the best! Great job on the Emmy's. Prayers are sent your way for a speedy recovery with your surgery. Keep the music coming I love it, hope someday to see your show in Vegas.

Pat Trotta

Congratulations, Barry! What a great night for you and all of your fans. We are so proud of you.

Pat Trotta

Monica Ross

Is Barry Manilow cool? Of course not. Would I go to see him? In a heartbeat.
I went to see him in Tanglewood in 1979 and he put on such a fun upbeat show that my face hurt from the constant smiling. The music is cheezy but sooooo much fun. He is energetic and puts his heart into his performance. Nobody walks out disappointed.
Would I confess this to people I know? Why of course I would. Everyone has their guilty pleasures. Loving Barry Manilow's music and concerts don't hurt anyone or land anyone in jail.
Why do people bother bashing anyone for who they like as an entertainer?
I say get a life and have some good clean fun!!!

Monica Ross

Barry Manilow is a guilty pleasure. He puts on a fun and upbeat show.
It doesn't hurt anyone or cause trouble.
Anyone who has to bash Mr. Manilow should get a life. They obviosly have way to much time on their hands and are afraid of what people think of them.
Sad!!!

Robin J. Taylor

You know I have never been to this site before and was just curious as to what people said about Barry's win at the Emmy Awards. It shouldn't suprise me that the writer of this site is 'Barry-phobic'. I find that people who really like the man are sometimes afraid to admit it, so they behave in ways that would make them appear 'cool'. I am NOT afraid to say that I love Barry Manilow and have since Many came out on the airwaves. However, I have a strong feeling that the writer of this article IS in FACT a Barry fan. It's okay...you are among friends...let youself go..........

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2