PETA Wants Gator-aid From Beyoncé

8/29/2006 1:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

PETA is going after Beyoncé Knowles -- again -- after the singer told Arena magazine about her peeps taping a baby alligator's mouth shut during a recent photo shoot.
Beyonce
The shoot went down for Beyoncé's upcoming album, "B'Day." She told the magazine, "There was a shot where I held an alligator. (It) had (its) mouth taped -- that was my bright idea." Beyoncé added, "He was really cute, but since his mouth was taped, he didn't have any way to defend himself. He was upset, so he peed on me. That was an experience."

PETA thinks it was a bad experience -- for the gator. The animal rights organization contacted one of the world's leading biologists, who wrote Knowles a letter saying, "As a specialist in reptile biology and welfare, I'm concerned about your posing with a terrified baby alligator for your new album cover." He added, "Humans and alligators are not natural bedfellows, and the two should not mix at events such as photo shoots. In my view, doing so is arguably abusive to an animal."

Beyoncé has not responded to the letter. This isn't the first time PETA has gone after her. This past June, Beyoncé and her mom were confronted by PETA members at a fancy New York restaurant over the singer's use of fur in her fashion lines.

SOUND OFF: We want to hear from you - LITERALLY! Call TMZ's toll-free number 866-895-8877 and sound off (but not for more than 30 seconds)! Start with your name and tell us where you live.

Lisa

chris (#10) your comments are rude and racist. i am white and i take offense to ANYONE using that kind of language. TMZ, can we block this person from blogging? i am extremely offended.

Your Mama

Be-yawn-ce' is more like it. She's just so consistently bland, she should write PETA a check for giving her publicity.

Too bad the baby gator couldn't get through that tape and bite her overrated vocal cords.

Amy

I think PETA needs to get over themselves...go to the real issues and not just the ones that will get them the headlines...taping a gators mouth shut hardly constitues abuse...and OF COURSE baby gator is going to pee itself...where else would it go?? The toilet?? COME ON!!!! talk about over dramatizing events!!!!!!!!

donna

I don't think that photo flatters her at all. You can bet a man thought of that one. She needs to stick with the classy diva image and get rid of the savage look. She also needs to leave the poor animals alone.

oh please

#11 Lisa - are going to whine about BET and all the rappa's using "that kind of language"? Good luck with that.

P.S. Free speech rules!

oh please

Lisa welcome to the United States of the Offended. Stupid lib.

wendell dixon

I think that the cover is hot. Peta really needs to focus on the seious targets. I do understand that this may temporarily irritate the animal..for goodness sake..I would rather have a hot chick standing over me than some ole miserable PETA rep. PETA can sometimes go after worthless causes. I love animals and I think that PETA bithces about anything when there is no cause. Beyonce is the target and Im glad that she knows that ....Way to much is focus on her when Peta have more serious issues that they need to focus on..Now I got that all out...Beyonce you can stand over me any day...and pee on me-loL..It's a joke...maybe_LOL

SICK IGNORANCE

I KNOW I SHOULD NOT EVEN COMMENT ON THIS BUT I'M SO SICK OF THOSE PEOPLE (CHRIS) THAT LIKE TO USE THE WORD N*GGER ON THIS BLUG. CHRIS IF YOU WERE SO QUICK IN USING THAT WORD. PLEASEEEEEEEEE. PUT YOUR ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER DOWN SO WE CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU. OKAY. AS FAR AS WHAT PITA DID TO BEYONCE, I THINK THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE. IT WAS TOTALLY OUT OF LINE. I AM A ANIMAL LOVER I HAVE 2 DOGS MY SELF. BUT I TOO LIVE WHERE THERE IS ALLIGATORS. THERE IS ONE IN A LAKE IN MY BACK YARD. AND I'M WORRIED EVERYDAY THAT IT WILL GET MY TWO COCKERSPANIELS. I WISHED THEY WOULD KILL IT. THEY ARE SO OVER POPULATED HERE THAT IT'S AWFUL. PETA COULD HAVE WROTE A LETTER OR CALLED HER. THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO COME IN THE RESTURANT AND STOP HER DINNER TO SAY THAT. AND TALKING ABOUT BEYONCE NOT SAYING ANYTHING SMART. WHAT WAS PETA SAYING. ASKING SOME DUMB ASS QUESTIONS. GET REAL. AND CHRIS! WE ARE GOING TO FIND YOU A**HOLE!!

WTF?

I don't like Beyonce much and this just validates my position. She is wholly consumed with her self image and does not give a damn what is takes to market her "image". I think we all know she does not care for animals, using fur in her designs and hurting animals for photo shoots. I wonder just how long the tape was on the gator's mouth. I'd piss on her, too.

#10....you are a jerk. Nuff said.

what????

I am a black woman and I am very offended and saddened by #10's comment. Hopefully he was just trying to get something started and doesn't really feel that way. But even if it was for shock value he is a very sick and ignorant person for even typing that. Chris please tell me you are not that ignorant! It is not only the black entertainers that some of the people on this site are very mean and almost sadistic in there comments but more so than the others. There is very rarely positve comments from the fans on this site regarding black entertainers. But even the comments about Paris, Lindsay and Jessica Simpson are so mean spirited and even downright evil. None of you actually know these people and nor do I but the comments sometimes seem like those people have personally done something wrong to them. I read this site for entertainment purposes but hearing someone call others such a demeaning name is definitely not entertaining.

kathryn

I love Marques

thaty

c'mon people....who cares.....ya'll act like her life impacts ur life....please leave her alone and all the others stars for that matter... they paid to amuse us.....that's it and u all are helping them make money.....im all for animals yeah cool...but PETA is just being stupid.... there are comercials with gators in them ...protest to that there are zoo with animals locked up in them protest to that crap... go worry about something else....people for examples.... yall are here talking about beyounce.... when there are KKK groups moving all across the country.....shame on ya'll

andy

Beyonce is a skanky ho. a ho on the go.. biznitch

oh please

by what - i bet you are REALLY saddened when you walk through Harlem and hear "that" word. Or, walk up and down ANY MLK street and you will be VERY offended. Sorry for you that you offend so easily. I guess Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock sadden you to the extreme. Poor you.

kathryn

It's like a race war again in here today. Chris, your starting this stuff on purpose! Quit!