PETA Wants Gator-aid From Beyoncé

8/29/2006 1:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

PETA is going after Beyoncé Knowles -- again -- after the singer told Arena magazine about her peeps taping a baby alligator's mouth shut during a recent photo shoot.
Beyonce
The shoot went down for Beyoncé's upcoming album, "B'Day." She told the magazine, "There was a shot where I held an alligator. (It) had (its) mouth taped -- that was my bright idea." Beyoncé added, "He was really cute, but since his mouth was taped, he didn't have any way to defend himself. He was upset, so he peed on me. That was an experience."

PETA thinks it was a bad experience -- for the gator. The animal rights organization contacted one of the world's leading biologists, who wrote Knowles a letter saying, "As a specialist in reptile biology and welfare, I'm concerned about your posing with a terrified baby alligator for your new album cover." He added, "Humans and alligators are not natural bedfellows, and the two should not mix at events such as photo shoots. In my view, doing so is arguably abusive to an animal."

Beyoncé has not responded to the letter. This isn't the first time PETA has gone after her. This past June, Beyoncé and her mom were confronted by PETA members at a fancy New York restaurant over the singer's use of fur in her fashion lines.

SOUND OFF: We want to hear from you - LITERALLY! Call TMZ's toll-free number 866-895-8877 and sound off (but not for more than 30 seconds)! Start with your name and tell us where you live.

dolldoll

I never liked beyoncé, I think she's pretty but her voice is really annoying. I really do think shes one of these singers now a days with no talent at all just a nice body and a nice face. The cover of the album, if isnt fake, is pathetic and the fact he uses animals makes me think her consciousness is as bad as her art director.
What is also pathetic is to see all this beautiful african amercan girls trying to look as caucasian as possible.

Josh

Peta would rather a person be hurt and in pain and die from an animal, rather than an animal having the mouth shut for a few minutes.

Nikki

PETA can just shove it...oh and by the way I am having a nice big juicy hamburger for dinner today..

Randy Moseley

P E T A is a joke. It's not like she cut the legs off of the animal or anything. I know animal vet's that treat animals worse than Beyonce did. Sorry, I don't have much else to say as I am heading out the door to go Deer Hunting!

trojan

It is really unfortunate that PETA will go about terrorising in the name of animal rights. If they do not retrace their steps they will hardly be distinguishable from the moslem fascists who will go to any lenght,including mass murder, to force people to follow their distorted view of the world. They should give a break to this well-mannered girl.

April

I think Beyonce is very cruel to animals, Of this day and age people especially so called famous people know how what they do influence other people especially there young fans. Posing with a baby alligator was wrong. Then her and her mothers clothes line using fur is sick. I'll make sure I let everyone I know what Beyonce is really about .

April

Jacklyn you are really stupid i don't know who educated you maybe a 5 yr old you sound like your a real stupid lonely person.

April

I'm sure most of the people who are commenting are under 18, I support peta 100%.

April

B fan Beyonce mother is black! DUH Beyonce is following in her mothers step thinking its cool to wear fur no matter how many animals die such a painful death.

April

people in florida are moving into gators home, gators were there first so 'oh please' say something that means something How do you people know when peta doesn't go after unfamous people duh of course you only hear when its a famous people. So please people get a clue before you just want to comment.

April

I agre e with NICO 100% HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT AND SPUD WHAT HE SAID IS TRUE WHEN BILL COSBY SPOKE

amp

I think beyonce lost all that weight for dancin to dam much lol, what happen to her she use to be a dime, tell me why her head looks bigger then her body!, i think she a great singer tho but her songs is not as good as it use to be. I can get her album for free anyway I got my connects, but if the album is wak, then she lost her touch.

Robert

A potato head speaking for Petarded folk - how appropriate.... at least Beyonce is not malicious, unlike those human-hating numbnuts......

Gee

I think people are making to much of what is going on with Beyonce. PETA is ridiculous. They need to give it a rest. Beyonce is not the first person to use animals in photo shoots or videos and I am sure she will not be the last. They all need to get a real job, and a life. They are really sickening.

For the record I happen to like Beyonce's music.

Neece

You know, looking at all these comments are within the range of becoming purely for entertainment (for those of you who lack the ability to spell correctly), extremely cruel (both to PETA and Beyonce Knowles), and downright pointless. Yes, I am a fan of Beyonce, but I will agree that this image that she's been portraying for her new album is way out of line. The album cover for the 'Ring the Alarm' single is ridiculous, having nothing at all to do with the concept of the song. Yes, I think that alligators can be dangerous, but using them in bondage to promote the album was unnecessary. But when it all comes down to it, I think that Beyonce didn't intentionally mean to hurt them, I just think that she has no idea of the recurring consequences of her actions. Usually when you're a celebrity, you try not to pay no means of attention to what others will say about the decisions you make to promote yourself--unless they are fans.

As I was reading all these comments, I kept hearing about "Chris" and "Spud". I think I saw Spud's comments (i forgot), but seeing all these responses about Chris' comments makes me curious. What did the guy say?

And yes, I am truly saddened by what parts of the music industry must revert to. Especially some of our black artists today. Sadly, I don't blame some of you people for bashing Beyonce like you do because she is just one of the numerous artists who's allowed the popular demand of fame to change her true image. I honestly miss the old Beyonce from 2000 (when Destiny's Child released their third album, Survivor, and even during the time she released her first solo album), because it was someone I felt proud to look up to. I still listen to her music (that much I still enjoy), but when I look at her videos, or any video of any R&B singer/ rapper that portrays the cliche image of big cars, big houses, gangster images, and the exploitation of women, I feel somewhat ashamed for still sharing interest in this type of music. I do believe that SOME black celebrities today haven't used their fame for positive reasons, and that they are neglectful of ALL their fans. There are little kids that believe that shaking their butts and showing a little skin is proper and appealing. No, I don't believe that the music today is totally responsible for all the chaos that the world is put in, but honestly it would help if the ALL of the hip-hop community (in particular) would recognize the effect that they have on their fans and use that to benefit the world rather than showing off their riches and sex appeal.

But before I get off topic, I give PETA some kutos for confronting Beyonce, but she is not the only person in the world that is guilty of animal exploitation. I wish that if they were such true animal activists/humanitarians/whatever they are, that they would confront ALL the people who do the same thing. I mean, Steve Irvin(?), the famous Austrailian Crocodile hunter was killed recently due to a stingray. Doesn't anyone recognize that such an incident happens because of his dangerous exploitation? Well, he's not the only one. I just wish that this would all come to an end.

If anyone reading this wants to make a comment, just remember the name, because I don't know what number I am...

Much love to you all....