Katie to CBS Viewers -- How Do I Say Goodbye?

9/5/2006 8:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We'll have to settle for just one of two big answers tonight: A knee-length black dress topped by a fitted white jacket. As for the other, you may in fact be the one to decide.

Katie Couric made her long-gestating and heavily-hyped debut on "The CBS Evening News," and she began by quickly answering the question about her wardrobe and wrapped up by avoiding the question about what her signature sign-off would be, asking viewers to make suggestions. The opening featured a voiceover by Couric's predecessor, Walter Cronkite.

As for the rest of the broadcast, CBS correspondent Lara Logan and Hulk Hogan both figured prominently, as did Suri Cruise. But producers clearly meant to convey the seriousness of their journalistic intention by delving into a multi-segment story about the Taliban (where Logan went into a Taliban camp) and the War on Terror, which included a sit-down interview with New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. In fact, while CBS' lead story was nearly ten minutes long, ABC's "World News" was cycling through several of the day's top stories, including the Ford Motor Company CEO's resignation and a piece about oil prices.

On the lighter side, Couric Day One also showed us the first photos of Suri Cruise in Vanity Fair magazine and included an op-ed-style commentary by filmmaker Morgan Spurlock which invoked wrestler Hulk Hogan in an orthographically confusing segment titled freeSpeech. (Rush Limbaugh will be the mouthpiece on Thursday.) And Couric deferred her decision on a signature sign-off, putting the ball squarely in her audience's court. For tonight, she went with, "I'm Katie Couric, thank you so much for watching, and I hope to see you tomorrow night."

We'd like you to give you the chance to help Katie decide, so take a stab at our suggestions.

WTF?

us rao.....We can only hope your fears are realized.

Fluff=hard hitting journalism. Only on CBS

Dan Donahue, Sr.

Sign-off: Recording history as it happens...from hearts to your homes. Have a good evening

racer

#17 Yes.. we ALL know her husband died from cancer. She drags it up every time she needs to prove she's human instead of the self-promoting attention whore we all know her to be. It was a stunt, for ratings, without doubt. Another desperate cry for attention.

#19 The comments are 'unintelligible' because you're a moron. And yes she will do fine because there are a great many morons like yourself that will watch. Party on!!

gettheboysawayfromher

No. 7 I could not have sid it better. I could never take her seriously because she is not a true journalist. All this build up over her what for who is she sleeping with that is all I can think of. Take her off. And put Elizabeth Varges in there or there are so many women in Washington News that are excellent and would not be getting 15M a year. She does not demand that figure by no means. She is way out of her leaglue. I gave here one minute.

gettheboysawayfromher

my comment was not posted again!

Lynn

After reading the above comments I have to ask what has happened to us as human beings. This is a women who like or not like is a public figure, and is giving us a chance to turn the show on or off, and yet we feel an obligation to call her names and swear. We have lost our rights to be called civilized. If you dont like the show turn it off or watch, end of story. We feel because we dont make the 15 million we have rights, yes we have freedom of speech but let us do it as Americans with a little dignity.

Geri H.

Never really liked her. She always seemed prettied up on the outside and ruthless on the inside. But I tuned in just to see what all the hipe was about. Very disappointed. Her lips didn't match her mouth (not sure if that's digital TV). She looked like she was struggling to be "perfect" and by doing that she didn't "embrace" me with her reports. No humor, not relaxed, not herself. Now go to channel 7 and listen to Charlie Gibson what a doll but he's sincere. Go to Channel 4 and there is some personality there- he even wished her good luck. I'm happy a woman is doing this job, but they have the wrong woman.... It should have been ANN CURRY!!!! Katie- stick with the Thanksgiving Day Parade!!

Just a comment on her Taliban story. If that newsreporter got into the camp and interviewed them, why can't the military BLOW THEM UP?

Rose

A suggestion for Katie's sign-off "Katie Couric for CBS News...Until another Day"

Arthur Gilbert

I found Katie Couric's first night a dismal failure. Is this what you parading as a new type of News Program? This is New York City - Not Madison Wisconsin?

I am an educator and I find this news format an insult to my intelligence. I have watched CBS news since Walter Cronkite.

Come back Bob Schieffer (Sp.) - He really delivered the news.

I will give your Evening News a week to improve and inform (not entertain) a week to change. Otherwise, I am moving on to Brian Williams.

Arthur Gilbert

Joyce Haas

Katie, Your a breath of fresh air to the nightly news! Hats off to CBS for making a great comeback with such a great decision. Katie, your sign off should be something like this, " Katie Couric signing off with what people want at CBS Nightly!" Good luck and I hope someone in the newsroom reads this!!!

Dr. Dennis Washack

I listen to some of the comments on Cnn, GIVE ME A BREAK..
YOU ARE WHAT WE NEED KATIE NOW...OUR NATION IS IN CRISIS WE NEED A MORE SENSATIVE APROACH TO THE NEWS WHICH YOU GIVE....WE ARE AMERICANS ALL FAITHS CULTURES..WE ARE ALWAYS BEING TRIED AND WE ALWAYS LEAD THE WORLD IN GREATNESS, WE HAVE FAITHFULNESS, IN OUR MANY BELIEF SYSTEMS, THESE ARE OUR STRENGTHS...YOU PROJECT THIS IN WHO YOU ARE..I WHOLE HARTEDLY SUPPORT CBS'S CHOICE IN YOU. THNK ABOUT "GOODNIGHT AMERICA, PEACE"!

Lou

#21 Jim you should turn on Lou Dobbs -- he grills republicans and democrats on an equal basis. He understands, rightly so, that BOTH parties have sold out the middle class to BIG BUSINESS.

Sherry Hurley

I always watch NBC but decied to tune in for Katie's first night. I was very disappointed! She didn't give much news. She was explaining herself and then had the loud mouth person giving his opinion. I had to turn to another station while he was talking, way to loud. I think she should give the news, standing or sitting and then "just call it a night." We don't need all the drama. I'm interested in what's going on in Iraq. I have a nephew there. He says we are doing a lot of good and the news doesn't show that. Katie needs to take off some eye makeup and look more like a newscaster. People want to hear the news and not look at her. The drama needs to stop immediately! She needs to do her job and nothing else. I don't mean to be mean, but it was a lousy first night. I will not watch again. NBC has always been my news station. I like the fleecing of America segment they have. Brian is just more professional looking and in telling the news. He's direct and to the point. Katie is wishy washy. Sincerely, Sherry

gettheboysawayfromher

She will last but a month.

Becky Williams

Sign off suggestion REVISED; "I'm Katie Couric, Until Tommorrow (Friday-Monday)
See You Then and Thanks for Watching"!