Bianca Fined for Skipping Rent on Moldy Digs

9/6/2006 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bianca Jagger tours her moldy apartmentBianca Jagger, the ex-wife of Rolling Stone frontman Mick Jagger, has been ordered to pay a $500 fine by a Manhattan judge for failing to pay the rent on her Park Avenue apartment, which Jagger claims is infested with a toxic mold and has become unlivable. Jagger hasn't paid the $4,600-per-month rent since February.

The human-rights activist and former Studio 54 diva has become something of an anti-toxic-mold activist in New York since 2001, when, she says, the problem began. Bacteria found in the apartment, located at 530 Park Avenue, has included Aspergillus and even Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as "black mold." Jagger filed a $20 million suit against the building's landlord in 2003, and has claimed that all her mementos and archives from her activist work have become completely contaminated, and has complained of significant health issues stemming from the mold as well.

The judge told Jagger today that if she didn't pay the rent on the first of every month, her landlord could potentially have her evicted. Lawyers for both sides didn't comment.

Lou

This doesn't sound fair. And why is this lawsuit taking so long - I know the courts are backed up, but 3 years? The landlord should be forced to clean up the mold. I think I'm on Bianca's side this time.

JESSICA M

OK IS IT ME OR DOES THAT LOOK LIKE BUBBLED AND SCRAPED PAINT. I KNOW WHAT MOLD LOOKS LIKE AND THIS JUST LOOKS LIKE A SLOPPY MESS THAT SOMEONE IS TRYING TO PULL OFF AS MOLD. SHE JUST NEEDS TO PAY HER RENT OR MOVE OUT NOT TRY TO MAKE THE BUILDING LOOK LIKE THEY ARE INFESTED WITH MOLD. I LIVE IN THE APPT BUILDING NEXT TO THIS ONE AND I HAVE A GOOD FIRIEND THAT LIVES ON THE 7TH FLOOR THEY ARE NICE AND HAVE NO MOLD!

rachel

yea i have to agree with jm (#2), before we moved into our house we had a mold problem in our apt., our AC busted and leaked a ton of water so mold started growing up the wall and everything in our bedroom closet (since we were in the middle of packing we hadn't been in the closet for a few weeks since all our stuff was out of there) and it looked nasty. whatever biancia is showing us there does not look like mold to me!!! but who knows it could just be the fact that the wall is green that is making it hard to tell!!!!

UV

That is exactly what mold under latex paint looks like. That apartment has a bad problem, the lasting fix is not cheap and the landlord should pay for it.

And just because your friend lives in the building next door says nothing about Bianca's apartment.

mike

Yes I have seen mold, but if the spores are present in areas such as air condition ducts or behind walls it can present a problem, a simple mold test can clear this up and if mold is present it should be taken care of. Whether it is a tenant caused problem or before the tenant moved it is something to consider in this matter either way it is not conditions anyone should live in can make you ill.

steve

IF I WAS PAYING 5G'S A MONTH, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF TO

AND I WOULD MOVE

I THINK SHE MIGHT NEED $$

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM????????????

Susan

Mold is an extremely dangerous problem - more than people realize. It can cause an array of awful health problems: headaches, breathing problems, and many other illnesses. I live in NYC and know people who have gotten very sick from mold in their apartments. I hope Bianca gets the appropriate compensation she deserves. It is dangerous to live in a house/apt. infested with mold!

BC

Why didn't she move out first--now all of her furniture & clothes could potentially be embedded with the mold too. The longer she waits--the worse the problem will be. Does anyone remember how this happened with Ed McMahon & his wife. Their dog died from inhaling the mold in their house--they sued whoever was responsible & won & ultimately the house was torn down.

Linda

It looks like mold to me. And when you can see it like that you have a problem. It is discusting that this is going on all over the country. She is going to have to get rid of most of her belongings. I certainly would not want to be living in or near that building. You have no idea what mold can do. Why do you think they wear those suits.Unfortunately until it happens to you, it is hard to comprehend the danger. Linda Delp

stephen s

In an older building mold can only become a problem if there has been a neglected leak or water damage.... now ask yourself, if the rents are at nearly $5k a month, do you really believe there isn't a crew of people ready to address any issue?! This drama is for the benefit of publicity- only. Move on, girl - literally and figuratively!!!