Meredith Could Redo "The View"

9/8/2006 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Meredith VieiraAs she preps for her big debut on the "Today" show next Wednesday, Meredith Vieira says she could return to her old show "The View" – as a guest host – but that she hasn't had time to watch Rosie O'Donnell's first week in the seat she vacated.

What's more, Vieira says her producers on "Today" made their "biggest mistake" when they asked her to bring some "personality" to the show.

Vieira and her soon-to-be co-host Matt Lauer did a run-through yesterday of their show, and she told reporters afterwards that it would be a challenge for her to keep her famously sharp wit – which she could flex on "The View" with few repercussions – in check early in the mornings. "I want to be careful I don't go out there and just go," said Vieira. "That mouth -- I have to rein it in a little bit. On the other hand, they asked for personality. It was the biggest mistake they made."

Vieira added that she hasn't been invited back for a return engagement on "The View," according to the New York Post, but that it wouldn't be unreasonable for her to go back as a guest host, as Debbie Matenopoulos did recently. "I certainly continue to work for the Disney Corp because of ["Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"] and ['The View'] had Debbie come back once as a guest host, but I don't know," said Meredith.

Shanna Says She Was Totally Faithful to Travis

Responding to allegations by her ex-husband Travis Barker that she had cheated on him, former Miss USA Shanna Moakler tells People that she was never unfaithful, and that she's "past anger" – just sad and "very disappointed" that things didn't quite work out.

Moakler also says that she doesn't neglect her kids, as Barker also alleged, saying, "Contrary to what you've read, [my day] does not consist of me sleeping all day ... I never have a straight hour of sleep [because of her two young children]." And she explains what went wrong in her marriage to Barker: "The problem with my marriage is that I never felt like an equal. When I fall in love, I think I sacrifice a great deal of myself and my personality and my work."

Barker, for his part, stands by his earlier remarks, but "continues to love Shanna."

ABC Might Pull 9/11 Mini Altogether

The furor over ABC's miniseries "The Path to 9/11" has come to such a boil that, as Variety reports, the network may in fact yank the miniseries altogether. Loyalists of former President Bill Clinton are reportedly deeply upset at the portrayal of Clinton in the show, and have already demanded that changes be made.

One of the most controversial scenes involves former National Security Adviser Sandy Berger. In the original series, Berger declines to give the CIA authority to capture or kill Osama Bin Laden even though they know where he is. But, as certain lawmakers wrote to Disney chief Bob Iger, "This account has been expressly contradicted" by knowledgeable sources.

ABC has hinted that it was making changes but did not acknowledge the influence of outsiders.

Party Favors: Eddie Murphy Drops Price, Viacom Execs Get Nice Packages, Jacko Makes Secret Payment to Rowe

Actor Eddie Murphy has cut the price on his New Jersey mansion to the low, low sum of $22 million, says the New York Post's Braden Keil, after originally listing it for $30 million all the way back in December 2004. New Jersey's most expensive home may also be one of its gaudiest, says one broker, and has its own bowling alley and gym ... New Viacom honchos Phillipe Dauman and Tom Dooley will be handsomely rewarded as they take over the keys to the kingdom from Tom Freston, says the Hollywood Reporter. Dauman will get $2 million in salary, with a bonus of up to $7 million ... Sources cited by FOX News' Roger Friedman say that Michael Jackson made a payment of $100,000 to ex-wife Debbie Rowe to prevent a psychological evaluation in their ongoing custody case. He also officially paid her $60,000 earlier this week.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

Pieta

ABC pulling the miniseries because Clinton doesn't like it. Censorship at its best. Did Bush (and I don't care for Bush) say a word about Farenheit 911? Did Bush say anything about all the books written about him and assination plots against him? Did Bush say anything about the Canadian film depicting his very own assasination? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is one difference between Clinton and Bush. Just goes to show you the weak foundation of Clinton's legacy that he would go crazy over some dumb movie on ABC. Democrats censoring.........how ironic!!!!!!!!11111

Travis Bickle

If ABC pulls the documentary it won't be due to censorship since it's not the government telling ABC to pull it but thin skinned ex Clintonistas who are scared of the truth coming out. Remember, this docudrama paints both Clinton and Bush Administration in a bad light. But what do you expect from the administartion that never took responsibility for ANYTHING?

kathryn

#1 & #2, I could not say it any better myself.

ronny

I love how people are screaming censorship about this. Do you recall the CBS film about Reagan? It was pulled do to protests from conservatives.

Cranky Pants

ABC is bowing to The Bush Admin by blaming Clinton for 9-11. It's just not as black and white as "Clintonistas are upset." The movie is filled with lies. The movie was written by a very good friend of Rush Limbaugh and was not made available for screening to the very people it slanders.

It's absolutely disgusting that Disney/ABC are planning to show this piece of fiction and present it as fact on the anniversary of this tragic event. It's a political piece of propaganda that aims to absolve Bush of his neglected responsibilites leading up to that horrible day.

I'm not a Clinton fan and I am not a Bush fan. But I do believe that Disney and ABC have a responsibility to either call this a work of fiction outright or not show it at all.

Angie

Number #1 and #2 said it best!! Except I do like W. It just shows Clinton is more worried about his reputation than the truth. Maybe he's afraid some of his celebrity friends won't like him anymore. Cry me a river Clinton!!!

Esq

I think ABC ought to decide what ABC shows. It's weak and spineless if the ABC brass are re-editing this because Bill Clinton and company are upset. The American people are smart enough to know not everything we see on TV is true.

Grow a pair, ABC!!

kathryn

Uhhh, last time I checked the media is ultra left, with the exception of Fox News. In fact, I heard ABC said it had to change some things for dramatic purposes....It's called 'DOCUDRAMA".

Sherry

This if for "Pieta"-- In case you don't remember, Farenheit 911 WAS pulled by Disney! It was their film 1st & they refused to promote it. Then Michael Mooore found another company to promote it.

This new right wing propaganda film is being AIRED ON ABC TV, where the lies it depicts will receive a much bigger audience than the limited release than Farenheit 911 had, thus confusing millions of Americans just before the congressional elections--talk about mind control!

Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly & John Stossel are bad enough. Now we have to deal with unethical propaganda from the Disney organization too! Well, so much for Bambi after the NRA gets to her!

Katie

Pieta - just because it is being shown at the Toronto Film Festival doesn't mean that it's a Canadian film. It's British.

I don't think that ABC is bowing to Democrats or to Republicans. It's not political, it's publicity. Every network has something 9/11 related planned. ABC is getting the lion's share of the attention because of this controversy. In an entertainment business that's all about ratings, ABC is doing everything it can.

KJ

MERIDITH, do your NEW job and concentrate on that. Why even think of coming back to the View???? I think it will be very successful with Rosie and you coming in will only clash with the team. YOU JUST LEFT, SO STAY OUT and do your job.

KJ

Clinton upset at his portrayal??? For Pete sake, he never had morals or real dignity and he never did ANYTHING to stop 911 and he cares NOW? I say to ABC leave it alone. Clinton is no longer president and he should NOT have the power to stop this. If it 's based on facts, do it.

I am not a party to either the replublicans or the democrats. I've learned enough and all of them are liars out to benefit only themselves, so if it's the truth, show it.

CJ

Regarding the Reagan documentary - from what I remember & heard - it was mainly the Reagan family that was upset by it - and much because of the fact that the timing was way too close to his death. It was more about being respectful to his family.

Cranky Pants

To the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth.
Voltaire

I have no interest in a fictional tale about 9-11. We should honor the day and the departed with a truthful account and not some fictionilized made for TV grab for ratings. Bush was president for 9 months before 9-11. He was given warning after warning that OBL was determined to strike us at any moment. Yet from what I've read about this movie, THOSE facts are omitted. Fair is fair and anything less is dishonorable to the people who died that day, the people who are dying daily in Iraq, and the recue workers who are suffering serious health ailments after doing heroic things that day. BALANCE is what the ABC/Disney piece lacks.

Emma

this story gets me so fired up....what happend on september 11, 2001 is something that will forever be remembered and for democrats to through a fit about the way THEY are being represented is absolutley discusting. they did not suffer immidiate loss, they didnt watch their families plane fly into the world trade center and i think it is imparative to remember the VICTIMS of 9/11 and not the political parties.....the democrats can sure dish it out (Farenhite 9/11 amoungst other things) but cant take it.....Clinton is worried about HIS legacy and not the legacy of those whose lost their lives.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments