Croc Hunter Gets No Tears From PETA

9/11/2006 9:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Steve Irwin mugs for the cameras.Fans the world over have been mourning the tragic death of Steve Irwin, but not, evidently, the animal lovers at PETA.

This morning, the animal lovers group's Dan Mathews says that it's "no shock at all" that Irwin died the way he did, and he's also branded Irwin a "cheap reality TV star."

Irwin died last week after being impaled by a stingray while filming a TV documentary, and was buried Saturday in a private ceremony on Saturday at the Australia Zoo, the animal park where he and his family tended lovingly to hundreds of creatures. But despite his reputation as a naturalist and conservationist, the Crocodile Hunter's on-screen antics clearly irked the animal lovers at PETA, according to MSNBC's Jeannette Walls.

"He made a career out of antagonizing frightened wild animals," says PETA's Mathews, "which is a very dangerous message to send to kids." And Mathews sniffs that Irwin's career wasn't particularly impressive – at least not to him: "If you compare him with a responsible conservationist like Jacques Cousteau, he looks like a cheap reality TV star."

Paris Pulls a Lohan on "Bottoms"

The Hollywood nightlife continues to take its toll on starlets and their punctuality. Simona Fusco, one of the co-star's of Paris Hilton's latest film, the straight-to-DVD "Bottoms Up," which arrives tomorrow, tells Page Six that Paris was "always late on the set... By the time Paris finally showed up, she was usually coming from a party ... Not only does she show up late, but on top of it she didn't have her lines ready to go." But what of Paris' actual acting chops, Simona? "I don't think there's any talent there."

"Apprentice" Sideshow: George Slams Carolyn

George Ross, the man who sits to the right in the boardroom on "The Apprentice," has no sympathy for Carolyn Kepcher, who used to be on Trump's left, and who recently got the axe from Trump himself. "Do I think her becoming a major national star went to her head? Was she affected by it? Yes," said Ross recently on "Good Morning America."

Meanwhile, as Lloyd Grove points out this morning, the 78-year-old Ross has been out hyping his own book called "Trump-Style Negotiation," and has been leaving the office to do paid speaking engagements. But a Ross assistant insists that George has his eye on the Trump-serving ball, and that he's "an ace at what he does."

Kepcher, for her part, reacted to Ross' comments this way on MSBNC: "I'm shocked. I find it very ironic, to say the least. But again, good for George."

Fergie's Battle With Meth

Calling crystal meth "the hardest boyfriend I ever had to break up with," the Black Eyed Peas' female singer Fergie (real name Stacey Ferguson) details her drug struggles in an interview with Time. "It's the drug that's addicting. But it's why you start doing it in the first place that's interesting," says Fergie, who's recent solo efforts have climbed up the charts. "A lot of it was being a child actor: I learned to suppress feelings." Fergie adds that she has talked to the other famous Fergie – the Duchess of York – about doing "some charity work together."

Party Favors: Kristin Cavallari Sips Fem-Bot Fatale! ... Joaquin Phoenix and Eva Mendes Spotted Canoodling! ... "The Covenant" Wins Tepid Weekend B.O.

Kristin Cavallari, who's been quite happily photographed at just about every Fashion Week event she can scamper into, shrieked when a lensman caught her downing something called a "Svedka Fem-Bot Fatale" at an after-party. "You can't take a picture of me drinking!" protested the 19-year-old Kristin, according to Rush & Molloy. Of course, it didn't stop her from indulging ... Joaquin Phoenix and Eva Mendes were at it furiously at a Wyclef Jean party in New York Thursday night. Though reps have denied the pair are an item, an R&M spy saw the couple "holding hands under the table and kissing all night long." ... Renny Harlin's supernatural thriller "The Covenant" took the top spot at the weekend box office with a relatively light $9 million take, with the Ben Affleck noir "Hollywoodland" coming in second, with $6 million.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

Reality Check

Wow, we are all supremely offended that Dan Matthews made these derogatory comments about a beloved man after he died. We all seem to agree this was BEYOND unethical....yet few of you seem to have a problem with making a blanket statement about an entire organization based on the actions of one man? At least #10 acknowledged PETA has a good premise.

I disagree with Dan Matthews. I also disagree with being judged according to my age, gender, race, or (dare I say it) the actions of one person in an organization to which I belong. Likewise, I attempt to show this same respect to others. The issue at hand is not everything PETA has ever done, but what one man has said about another man. Comments, in my opinion, should respond accordingly.

MommaT

Even though I did not watch Steve Irwin's programs, I at least knew who he was and what he brought to everyone with his knowledge and compassion for what he did and what he stood for. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children. With that being said..............I agree with the "posts" that PETA waited til after Steve's death to let the bashing begin. That is just wrong on so many levels. It's one thing to THINK it.......it's another to say it to someone who is gonna print it. That took some brass ones to put that out there. Talk about POOPING in your own nest. I am sure that the PETA will get lots of publicity regarding this statement and it won't be the GOOD kind either.

Regarding Anna Nicole Smith.....People magazine has an article on their website regarding her son's death.

Nick

Matthews calling Steve Irwin "a cheap reality TV star".

Yet they pay a whore with STD's and NO career to be their spokesperson--Pam Anderson.

Steve Irwin has done more for animals than that weathered, disgustin, used-up slob could EVER do.

sherri

His comments represent PETA. That makes it wrong.

The Video tape of Steve Irwin's death was reviewed and he was CLEARED he did nothing wrong, did not provoke etc. The Bull STing ray felt threatened only for the fact that Steve was on one side of him and the camera guy on the other that was it. Jacques Costeau's grandson Phillip was on board the boat and witnessed it as well(on Larry King last night) and cleared Steve of any thing wrong.

He didnt deserve to die.

He brought much needed awareness to different animals.

s

Jane

That really is sad about Anna Nicole's son. She doted on that kid so much and I know this must be killing her. I feel so terribly for her...

Wake up call for Jackie

PETA's comment on the death of a great and very genuine human being who committed his entire life and income to the well-being of our entire eco-system is what I'd expect from their organization. PETA can't garner donations off Steve Irwin's tragic death--so they slam him.

Nathan

PETA has a point. They're not a human rights organization. That's why you assume (incorrectly) that they don't care about people. You don't know what you're talking about so STFU!

Schmoozer

Totally Classless, PETA! I'd love to kick you in the collective ass with my leather clad foot while eating fistfuls of bacon!
Congrats, you are the "Scientology" of animal causes!

WE LOVED STEVE IRWIN!

JENNIFER

I am absolutely horrified that someone at PETA would trash talk Steve Irwin after his tragic, untimely death. He was definitely NOT a "cheap reality TV star". He was a very entertaining gentleman who obviously loved animals and would never, EVER harm them and he was very interested in educating people about wildilfe conservation. Hey, Mr. Matthews, Mr. Irwin was not killed by a "dangerous" animal. It has been said over and over and over that stingrays are generally NOT harmful to humans. It was simply bad luck and nothing more. PETA should do their homework before making comments like that. Rest in peace, Steve Irwin!!

nicole

well i wont be donating to peta anymore. my money will go to a caring charity.
god bless you steve.

swan

If showing the awareness of wild animals, alive, undrugged, and tied, in their habitat, or in a cared for facility is a crime than whoa am I an ass!

Shame on that PETA jerk, no class, no scruples, how about the killing and destruction of all the animals in rainforests whose habitat is getting plowed away daily......how about game farm hunting....Oops did I give him a hint of some real issues........

Amy

Thank goodness for PETA! Thank you for always protecting animals and speaking out on their behalf even when ignorant people think otherwise.

Zip

Perez Hilton's web site is reprting that Anna Nichole Smith's son has died!!! This, just two days after the birth of her daughter!!!

sherri

blue gloves
yes Daniel died on Sunday. Her daughter was born on Thursday. They all were in the Bahamas when she gave birth and where Daniel died.
People.com has the story on their website as well as MSNBC.com
so much for tmz covering happening stories!

s

Genevieve

Dang it PETA, you're constantly making it hard for me to defend you. I mean, I agree with what they say totally. Irwin was an annoyance to the animal world in my opinion. But do they have to say it right after he died. Why didn't they say it while he was alive or like next year.