Not Ready to "Shut Up and Sing"

9/13/2006 6:09 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Chicks: Click to watchNatalie Maines obviously isn't out to make friends with President Bush anytime soon -- expressing her embarrassment towards #43 and calling him a "dumb f**k" in a new documentary.

Though the Dixie Chicks initially set out to make a rockumentary, "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing" quickly became more politically charged after the group's frontwoman told a London audience, "We're embarrassed that the President is from Texas," at a 2003 concert.
"We felt like it was time to have cameras follow us around for a little while and just show the next cycle of touring," says Emily Robison about the filming, "and then when Natalie said what she said it turned into a totally different animal. It was one of those things where we knew it was important to continue filming."

The documentary, which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, depicts the backlash towards the Chicks and their new album, "Taking the Long Way," which had difficulty getting airplay on country radio stations. The film will open this month in limited release.

Kai

I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU THAT SAY THERE IS NO NEED TO HEAR THE POLITICAL VIEWS OF OUR ENTERTAINERS. MOST OF THEM ARE SIMPLY ABUSING THEIR POWERS OF FAME AND FORTUNE TO TALK OUT THEIR ASSES. HOW DARE THESE WOMEN FEEL THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THAT WAY FROM A MAN WHO, WITH OR WITHOUT MISTAKES, DOES MORE FOR OUR COUNTRY THAN THEY EVEN COULD!!! LADIES, WHY DONT YOU JUST SHUT UP. DONT WORRY ABOUT SINGING ANYMORE. I DON'T THINK ANYONE WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM THOSE TRAPS OF YOURS.

Publius

Can we agree that NM's rights are protected by the Constitution? Others have the right to disagree.

While she has the right to state her opinion, it bears repeating that unless one can give examples and site specifics in a critique, mere name calling does not contitute a valid argument against another. If she can provide details and examples from past comments and texts to support her opinion, then she can make a much better argument.

I do however, find it in poor taste to criticize one's country and President on foreign soil.

carri

PERSONALLY I NEVER LIKED THE D. CHICKS. SHE IS A DUMB F***** JUST FOR MAKING THAT STATEMENT. SHE HAS RUINED HER FAN BASE AND WONT HAVE ME AS A FAN EVER. WHO WAS THE GAL THAT SAID PRESIDENT DOUCH? UM RUDE, FIRST OF ALL IF EITHER ONE OF YOU SAID THAT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY WHERE THERE ARE NO RIGHTS, YOUD GET YOUR TONGUE CUT OUT. HMMM THAT WOULD MAKE YOU SHUT UP.......

Lu

OK, Livewire, I have one request of you. I mean this very seriously because I have gone back and read some of your posts and you do feel very strongly against President Bush. But for just one short stretch of time, could we leave the President out of this? I didn't vote for President Bush at the last election - I didn't vote at all. And before you think I'm a bad American please let me explain. I have voted in every election but one since I became old enough to vote. I would have voted in the last election except my son, home on leave, was killed in a stupid senseless car accident the night before the last presidential election. (Having read some of your slams, you'll probably slam me for not bucking up through my grief and going to the polls anyway - so have at it). I don't like the Dixie Chicks - but I didn't like them before all this started three years ago so the Bush bashing didn't change anything for me in that respect. That being said, I have never said it's not their right to say what they want - I will admit that I hated the fact it was said on foreign soil and I hate the fact that Natalie resorted to foul language knowing that she was being filmed. I don't like shock value comments from anyone (OK, I admit to a double standard in that I really don't like to hear a woman use the word). Everything that Natalie Maines has said has been her right to say, I've never argued her freedom of speech. I'm disgusted by her total lack of respect towards the office of the presidency but that's still her right to rant against. BUT, in one of my earlier post I talked about a newspaper interview in June of this year in which Maines stated, on record, "I don't see why people care about patriotism". Leaving your feelings about President Bush out of this (and hopefully not turning your answer into a miniscript), could you please tell me what you honestly think about a statement like that coming from an American? We all know about her rights to freedom of speech - I would just like to hear your opinion about the statement itself. I find the statement totally out of bounds. I consider myself patriotic - and I certainly know my late son was a patriot - so please tell me what you think of someone in the public eye saying what she did just three months ago.

alice tames

seems to me the people against this war are the
only ones who care about our soldiers and those
victims on 9/11. interesting how the "patriotic ones"
are the first to call for our boys blood. Iraq was not an
imminent threat to this country. congress and the
president made a bloody mistake. those congressman
who should be trusted are the ones that admit it.
intelligence, not the Iraq war broke up the plot in London,

if you have a true love of the country, turn off rush limbaugh
and get some history books..find out why the terrorists
hate us..the more you learn about them the more you will
understand that marching into an arab country will not defeat
terrorists, or make you safe. we have to understand the way
they operate in order to stop the operation.

if you cant understand the complexity of the issue,
then turn rush limbaugh back on, why our soldiers die
for your ignorance and laziness
then by all means run for president

Jennifer

It was funny, I was reading this article and my nine year old daughter walked by the computer and said, "Mommy, Natalie looks like one of my Barbies when her head comes off, and you have to push it back on, and then it has no neck." I thought that was soooooooo funny....

Livewire

Hey GOOEY LOUIE, sorry about your son. He's up in heaven chilling with the big guy, in total bliss.

LIVEWIRE has had to make an example of you because you are like a kid poking a stick at a bear- ya mouth off to LIVEWIRE, and there is no mercy...

The funny thing, LIVEWIRE loves to raise the ire of morons and has fun with posting the most controversial posts on TMZ today. Working from a home office gives LIVEWIRE the freedom to get on TMZ and work the crowd...

As far as your question, perhaps the Dixie Chick has taken it too far in your opinion, maybe my opinion, but America is about freedom. LIVEWIRE ain't gonna wrap himself in the flag with the belief that just cause dumb f**k bush is a "president", he is untouchable. Hell, if LIVEWIRE's daddy was the senior Bush, ol' LIVEWIRE would be sittin in the Oval Office right now with a dozen interns under his desk...

The point is, this country is about freedom of speech, and we all have different levels of perceptions on that. Don't deny the Dixie Chick hers in the name of patriotism.

"Just when ya think ya know the answer, LIVEWIRE changes the question..."

Cindy

The courage shown by The Dixie Chicks is a model to every citizen of this country. It doesn't matter if you agree with what they say or not, they are not willing to shut up and be intimidated when they know something is wrong. That is admirable and something that our congress has forgotten. How on earth did the President get us into an unwinnable war based on a lie and our congress let it go when the lie was discovered? By my way of thinking, it is the President that dishonors the bravery and courage of our troops by his frivilous use of their lives. Thank goodness that there are people who command the media attention to draw attention to the idea that the President is wrong, it is not unamerican to say so and it is our duty as free speaking Americans to continue to say so.

Lu

Well, I really thought it was worth a try Livewire. No, you didn't change the question, you dodged the question. But you did make me realize one big thing about you - you're about "working the crowd". I would define "working the crowd" doing whatever it takes to get reaction. So if I say black, you'll say white, and on and on and on. It makes me feel rather relieved to know that about you. It rather puts your posts in perspective for me now. Shock value is what you're about. Good to know, Livewire, good to know. At least now I can just get past feeling that you really believe what you say. Whew!! That's a relief. I was really worried you were just a name calling poster who really believes what he's saying. Instead you're about whatever it takes to "work the crowd". Well, I guess "bad on me" cause ya really had me duped for a while!

PAMELA D. V.

ME PERSONAL I DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DIXIE CHICKS MUSIC NOWAY. BLESS YOU ALL TOO.

Livewire

LIVEWIRE tells the truth, even when LIVEWIRE lies...

It's easy to dupe tools like GOOEY LOUIE, and get one thing straight-

Working the crowd is somethin' LIVEWIRE has done his whole life, because LIVEWIRE speaks the truth and makes people laugh!

THAT"S WHY TMZ LOVES LIVEWIRE! He ain't no girlie man who likes to "write poetry to girls on a pedestal" fruitcakes like GOOEY LOUIE!!! Read his past quotes, the GOOEY ONE is a sap! LIVEWIRE has seen more hos asses tha a public toilet seat and it wasn't by being sappy!

Here's a LIVEWIRE LOVE TIP, especially for the GOOEY ONE, cause it sounds like his sappy sh*t don't get him laid-

ACT LIKE A MAN! Show the hos ya don't need 'em, and they want ya even more!

Like your nitwit buddy, George "Chimp" Bush likes to say, "You are either with LIVEWIRE or against LIVEWIRE!"

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (betcha these "Bushisms have got the zombies waving the flags they picked up at WAL-MART)

Alicia

If she hates how this country is run why don't they move?? It sounds like they are the dumb f*cks to me. I'll never listen or buy another Dixie Chics CD again. Freedom of speeck is one thing, but in this day and time they should support not put down what the President was trying to do. And we should all keep in mind.... PRESIDENT BUSH DIDN'T PUT US IN THIS MESS.... CLINTON DID!!! He stayed in the shadows and just wanted to be liked that he ignored all the threats and real problems in the world. He can move with the Dixie Chics.

sam

Uh "LIVEWIRE" Louie tried to let you back out gracefully man but your too stupid to realize it. You should have taken the out man. Now you’re back to being a big 'ol douche bag.

Louie, Sometime if you ignore LIVEWIRE he just slinks away!

Livewire

Stupid Alicia, so it started with Clinton huh? Ya need ta go back about 60-70 years, maybe even a few thousand years, ya stupid redneck brainwashed zombie!

Stop watching FOX news and eduacte yourselfs ya damn hillbillies!

"America has become the land of the STUPID!" - Albert Einstein, rollin' in his grave

"MORON TMZ posters who support Bush make LIVEWIRE sneeze, and it's been a nonstop sneezefest, baby!" - Don Livewire

Dee Rea

There are many of us who disagree with George Bush and his agenda. However, for her to put her celebrity to use here and to call him four-letter words is inexcusable. There are many ways she could have expressed her feelings, i.e., with class, dignity and a great deal of control. If she had done so, her remarks would have worked in favor of image, instead, acting like a foul-mouth lowlife worked against her. I do not like GWB, but in my mind, her remarks worked in favor of the President. Count to 10 and THINK for once, before you open your mouth.