Anna Nicole's Son -- Fatal Drug Combo?

9/19/2006 2:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Daniel and Anna Nicole SmithFor the first time, an official in the death of Anna Nicole Smith's son has gone on the record, stating that drugs may have killed Daniel Smith.

Dr. Cyril Wecht, a pathologist and former coroner who was hired by Anna Nicole and signed Daniel's death certificate, tells TMZ, "It could be a drug-related death of an accidental nature."

An official connected with the investigation, who wished to remain anonymous, told TMZ that the drugs in question "were prescription, not illegal." The source added that Daniel had "a combination" of anti-depressants and other prescriptions in his system.

"It could be a drug-related death of an accidental nature."

Dr. Wecht, however, bitterly disagrees with the Coroner of the Bahamas who claims the cause of death has been established to a certainty.

Dr. Wecht says he and another pathologist, Dr. Golinda Raju, both have determined that Daniel's cause of death is unknown, pending the final toxicology report. In sharp contrast, Coroner Linda Virgill tells TMZ, "I stand firm that the cause of death is known."

Dr. Wecht went after Virgill, telling TMZ, "Do you want to believe the two pathologists or a non-physician. I don't know what she's talking about." He reiterated, "I'm telling you I don't know the cause of death. I don't know." Dr. Wecht, who was clearly upset over Virgill's comments, peppered his comments to TMZ with expletives.

Virgill would not reveal the specific cause of death, though she insists it was firmly established last week. She did, however, tell TMZ, "The toxicology report is very important here," buttressing Dr. Wecht's comments that Daniel's death may have been drug-related.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Busty Beauty

I saw the mag In Touch and saw the photos, it is so sad to see these pics of a young man in his prime life cut short, but looking closely at the pics I noticed how dilated Daniel's eyes were compared to Anna's and Howard's....which made me question whether his death was drug related, just wondered did anybody else noticed it?

Flojo

Call child protective services to look after the new born baby of Anna Nicole..she is not a fit mother..she drinks to excess, she exposes her body at every chance..esp for the press and she is irresponsible in not calling for help when her son was found not responding in her room.
Did she not know he was being treated with methodone, a drug that can kill on itsown if mixed with other things.
if this is the way her only son came to his end..what is she going to do right with the daughter?
has she insisted on DNA tests for Birkhead and Stern? She probably does not even know who the father is..What kind of mother is this?
She needs to go to a detox unit, her mom needs to take the new grandchild or the justice dept can put the baby in a foster home temporarily. She is not a FIT MOTHER..No matter how much she loved her son..you can see how he ended up.
My heart goes out to his family....excluding Anna. Has she buried him yet?

James

Nope! He's not buried yet. What a tragic memorial to Daniel. He deserved better.

Tommie

IN THE BEGINNING, LIKE SOME OF YOU, MY HEART WENT OUT TO ANNA NICOLE FOR LOSING HER SON DANIEL, BUT NOW IT IS ALMOST A MONTH LATER SINCE HE DIED, AND I AM SEEING THE TRUE PICTURE NOW. I'M NOT GOING TO GO INTO DETAILS, BUT I GUARANTEE EVERYONE, AS THE NEXT DAYS, WEEKS AND MONTHS GO BY, YOU ALL WON'T FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT ANNA NICOLE. JUST STAY TUNED TO THE UPDATES OF THIS ORDEAL AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

Judi

I really loved her son and felt he was so much more mature than his Mom and all her buddies. I am sorry he made the mistake of not using drugs, and I feel it was an accident. He probably was celebrating the birth of his little sister. May he rest in peace and may his death send the message...DRUGS ARE DEATH!

radargrl

If you read this / anna nicole/ i want you to know you are not alone in your grief. I have a 26 yr. old son that i love more than anything. He is going thru a lot of depression issues and all i can do is be the best mother i can / to support him and praise him. I am sure you did everything you could and then some in your love for your son. I understand your devastation and pray for you every night. God Bless, remeber, one day you will all be together in God's kingdom. Fame isn't everything and neither is $$$. but no matter what the tabloids say, I firmly believe that your children are all that matters to you on this earth. BE STRONG

Michelle

not thati am in any way a big Anna Nicole fan....i think she has done a good job ofmaking herself look very silly. However what i have heard is that those pictures were already "sold" before the baby was even born,hence before her son passed away they were already under contract so she had to give them up.

Debbie

Leave her alone, losing a child is the worst possible thing a parent can go through. Doesnt matter how he died, he's still gone. I know i lost my son last year to prescription drugs. Your heart is broken and there are so many WHYS. Rest in Peace Daniel.

Sheila

I think its pretty awful Anna Nicole's mother is suggesting murder? No wonder Anna Nicole doesn't have anything to do with her family. Like Anna Nicole said herself she makes up her own mind and I KNOW a mother that loved her son as much as Anna would never harm him. Or be with a man that would harm her flesh and blood.

God Bless you Anna
Sheila Peterson

Jan

I believe that Anna is probably the responsible one for giving Daniel metadone. We all know about her pill addiction and all he had to say to her was that his back hurt and he couldn't sleep. Might want to check and see if Anna has gotten prescriptions for metadone and zoloft. I'll bet she has! God rest your soul Daniel

deb

Has anyone asked the question...why did Daniel have methadone in his system? Was it prescribed to him? Was he a recovering heroine addict? Or maybe, the meth belonged to his mother and she gave him one, not knowing it would kill him mixed with the antidepressants. I hope someone can answer this for me.

boosty macphearson

haha..you got what you deserved, you sellout biatch!!

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10