Oprah Gets Lucky

9/20/2006 9:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah WinfreyOprah Winfrey believes the world revolves around Oprah, but not in Montecito, Calif., where 12 -- count 'em -- 12 billionaires reside. As one plugged-in resident tells TMZ, "Oprah's nobody special: There are lots of insanely rich and famous people here." But then again, maybe not: At least one swanky steak house -- Lucky's in Montecito -- thinks Oprah is a big, big deal. When Oprah gets a hankering for a little sumthin'-sumthin' after hours, the steak house staff jumps into action.

Recently, sometime after the kitchen closed officially at 10:30PM, Ms. Winfrey paid a surprise visit to the steakhouse and the normally eager-to-leave kitchen crew was more than willing to fire up the grill just for the Queen of Talk. Who knew that "O" stood for "Open any time"? Perhaps Lucky's learned a lesson from the Hermés playbook -- never tell Oprah you're closed.

Angelina JolieAngelina Buys $400,000 Worth of Bizarre Art – With a Bullet

This ought to brighten up the view in Shiloh's nursery: Angelina Jolie bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of art at a recent LA show by British artist-provocateur Banksy at a downtown LA warehouse, including a $226,000 painting that shows starving African children looking on as a white family eats a picnic lunch under an umbrella.

According to Star magazine, Angie especially liked a white bust with a bleeding bullet hole in the forehead which went for, oh, $75,000. And then there was the portrait of a man hit in the head with a custard pie – that one went for another $75,000. Angelina restrained herself however, from buying the show's centerpiece, a life-sized red and gold elephant.

Whitney HoustonDippy Divas Unite: Whitney Mentored By Courtney

If there's one songstress out there who might be an even bigger train wreck than Whitney Houston has been in recent years, it's Courtney Love. And yet, according to reports, legendary music producer Clive Davis enlisted the famously unstable Love's services to help Houston, who is on her way to divorcing pop star hubby Bobby Brown, kick her drug problems.

After getting the call from Davis, Love jumped at the chance to be a steadying influence on Whitney, according to Us Weekly (via IMDb), and now the two are getting along famously. Love has introduced Whitney to her own addiction counselor Warren Boyd, and Davis is paying for the expensive sessions.

Davis, meanwhile, is getting the newly-healthy Whitney back onto the singing treadmill, and would love if she made her big comeback by the Grammys early next year. If all goes as planned, says Page Six, Whitney could have a new album out by 2007: "We are going to make a great album. She is talking enthusiastically and is articulate. In opinion, the best singers in the world are Aretha [Franklin] and Whitney."

Jean-Michel CousteauCousteau Blasts Irwin -- "Don't Mess With Nature"

Jean-Michel Cousteau wagged a big Gallic finger at the late Steve Irwin Tuesday, saying that if the beloved Crocodile Hunter hadn't interfered with nature by jumping on and grabbing animals, he'd still be alive.

Promoting his own two-part TV special, Cousteau said that while he mourns the death of Irwin, whose funeral was held in Queensland yesterday, and called it "very, very unfortunate," it was Irwin's gonzo approach to nature television that cost him his life. "It sells, it appeals to a lot of people, but I think it's very misleading. You don't touch nature, you just look at it. And that's why I'm still alive. I've been diving over 61 years – a lot many more years than he's been alive – and I don't mess with nature."

Tori Spelling

Party Favors: Tori To Play Gossip Reporter, Jack Gets Strapped Into Scorsese Flick, HBO Gets Gym Teacher Show From Ferrell

After being hounded by them for years, Tori Spelling will get to play a gossip columnist in a guest role in the CW's "Smallville" this season, says TV Guide ... Jack Nicholson tells Rolling Stone magazine that he convinced director Martin Scorsese to let him improvise a sex scene in their new film "The Departed," bringing a certain strapped-on sex implement into a threesome with two women ... HBO has snapped up the rights to "P.E.," a hotly sought-after new comedy series from Will Ferrell's production company Gary Sanchez Productions. The series is about a former major leaguer who has to go back to his hometown to teach gym.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

nalaska

If you have 400k to buy art more power to you. Why be critical of someone who has the means to do that.

How would you like it if everyone who knew you critized you, because you bought a new slamming audio system for your car. You could have spent the 1k feeding the hungary kids down at the local homeless shelter. I am sure you would tell these people take a flying leap, because its your money and you could spend it in any way you want to.

Brian

If you do research on Angelina you will find that she has given a very large amount of her money ( were talking Millions) to help those in need.
So what if she buys 400k worth of art. Would you rather have her give 400k to those in need or millions? And before people judge her you should look at what you have done for those in need. People are quick to judge others but they do not look at their own self.

SICK IGNORANCE

Oh Oprah is starting to get on my nerves.

Angela

Cousteau needs to let Steve Irwin rest in peace. I took note that Cousteau was promoting his own special on TV, maybe he thinks that he has something to gain by talking badly about a man that is now gone and therefore can no longer defend himself. How low can you go? I say RIP Crocodile Hunter! We loved you and your family. Angela

Whatever

Angelina is such a poser. That is why no one takes her seriously. How can people when she bitches about how the poor need more money then pisses money away on art? What ever happend to "live simply so others may simply live? "More like do as I say not as I do!"

chopchop

Oprah doesn't deserve any special treatment!!! She's human like the rest of us!!! She has no talent at all; just a big ass mouth!

me

In my years of life, I have known of many famous people who have died and I would feel badly about it but nothing more. After all, I didn't even know these people. When I heard about Steve Irwins death, I can honestly say that I cried.
I actually started to learn about animals in a very special way. I would watch his show "The Crocodile Hunter" and I could FEEL his commitment and passion come through the television. He would explain things so that everyone, young and old, could understand. He kept you there wanting to learn. He would tell you all these unique and interesting facts about each creature.
I believe that when God created us, he created us to take care of all of His creation. Steve did just that and in the process taught us how to as well. I think he was the best caretaker of Gods creation in the world. My prayers for all the Irwin family.

Rick

Whitney will come back bigger and stronger than ever. she looks so good and healthy in her recent pics. good luck to her

Lore

I thought Oprah didn't eat after 7pm.....???

Cindy

Angelina? She talks about the poor. How much we can do to help them. How she is so wonderful for taking the interest. I don't see her living a simple life and experience even a tad bit of what even Americans go throught every day. Now the Art work? Common? What a hipacrit!

dee peterson

I have nothing bad to say about you , you have a lot for this country and africa . you dont give a few thousand dollars and think you did anything like Angie and Brad ! You gave over 10 million dollars to Africa ,and more ! And God knows how many millions you took care of the USA, people forget what you do for them after its been done . Look what they are doing to tom cursie, he better off keeping his money and going onwith life ! Somebody like Angie and Brad comes along and bull shit you ,well we a country ,we have followers and leaders . thats why we have so many churchs,cults and false prophets! As much as my husband preach he could get church of his own ,and believe me the way he preach we would be up thier just like the other false prophets! You may be thier with other billions ,but who's to say they did the things you did and from thier heart ,not for tax purposes!

Brandy

Oprah...blah...sick of her...what a joke....

tovah

Man ,,if we could afford to buy what we wanted and STILL DO THE THINGS THAT BRAD AND JOLIE DO

John

I must agree with Mr. Cousteau you don't touch and grab wild life like Steve did. I live by sea and never hear of anyone messing up with stingrays. Sorry Steve but you grab too many times. About Angelina who really care what she buy!! They reality is them alone not us.

Scott Rose

I think Angelina and Brad are a wonderful couple. They have a wonderful family. They are artists themselves being actors and maybe their children will follow in their footsteps, who knows. They have both worked hard for what they have and they do care about our world and have shown this on many occations. If they wish to purchase art for their home, that is called furnishings. Everyones art taste is different who is to say what inspires a person or a family. If Angelina wants to spend money on art let her, I am sure the artist is honored that she did so. I just wish the best for Angelina, Brad and their family and look forward to their future movies and activities around the world. You only live once, nothing wrong with having a nice family life and being a celebrity too. Don't we all wish for a better lifestyle for our children and don't we all want to live and love?