Oprah Lords Over White Folk, Talks Poop on XM

9/25/2006 2:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

If it wasn't already totally evident that Oprah Winfrey can talk about anything for any length of time, her debut today on her own XM Radio channel just confirmed it. The talk-show queen gabbed with her best pal Gayle King (who called her, inexplicably, "Mommy") on what is nominally King's show on "Oprah & Friends," the satellite channel that launched today.
oprah audio

Among many, many other things, Oprah talked about her humble beginnings in Mississippi, and particularly about how her mother's highest aspiration for her was that she might end up cleaning white people's houses, because "they give away nice clothes." And then Oprah pointed out that now that she's Oprah, she has "all these white people" working for her, and that in fact there's only one black person on the staff. Way to turn the tables, girl.

Finally -- and this was just in the first fifteen minutes -- Oprah moved onto her most recent favorite topic, excrement. O assured Gayle that the reason she doesn't have children wasn't that she can't deal with poo, or "pooty," as the pair called it. For this -- and whatever follows -- is what XM is paying Oprah $55 million over the next three years.

Sparkle

wow comments from 785,790 sound like hate cause you don't have it. At the rate you are going you never have because you are evil. anyway.. I love Oprah I buy her mags she is cool with me, everyone is not perfect neither am i. I love the way she reads well anyways I am at work. I am an inspired black woman who is a helpdesk agent. I am a mother who attends college to be a lawyer who one day dreams of being the next CEO in my county in Georgia Then Senator. I am sleepy and my typing errors probably are getting worse. However I say that to say this. I will never hate on anyone who came from nothing and built something (billionaire)and gives back as much as she does NO SAYS NOTHING ABOUT BILL GATES (WOW). That goes for the Pitt-Jolies of the world, Madonna's of the world Cameron Diaz and Yes Denzel Washington, and Jay_Z/Beyonce..I am glad they give back they inspire me too as well to give what I can and I always do and more and i stay blessed because of it. If you are a giver you will be blessed Oprah is a giver and she has inspired hollywood to be givers and opefully because they are influentual they will inspire the people on tmz comment zone to be givers too, instead of HATERS.
God bless..

Allred Tree

Sparkle, hope you've had a nice breakfast this am. Grits and bacon and coffee is always good . Does Okra have a cookbook out yet? Oh, I forgot, she has a private cook and servants. Right like those white folks up in the White House that she plans to move into just as quick as she can. Just you wait till she makes one of her surprise announcemnts. Oh yeah baby, oh yeah. Good luck in your senatorial campain and maybe you can recruit Miss O to cheer you on. If she's not too busy talking pooty with her little babydoll Cling-Along Gail!!!

Allred Tree

Oh, by the way Sparkle, are you ALLOWED and PAID to be blogging while you are at work ? Does your boss know you are doing this? Is this allowed where you work as a helpdesk agent?

Allred Tree

When I said I can't stand they way Oprah reads, meant to add when she does it out loud on the air. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk. Oh Lord I turned on the t.v. and there she was all dolled up in her little pink sweater with the shiny pink lip gloss on those big purty lips she got tryin to make herself look younger while she's blabbin away about how great she is, again. Can't stand her fugly self and voice on my nice big screen t.v. God some of these people never know when to "get off the stage." Go to Afwica wit yo little itty baby girl girfwend Gail and talk pooty wif yo selves. Bet she sits on Okras lap and sucks her thumb while Oprah weads her a bedtime story.

Allred Tree

#773 WOW yo mama raised you right. Even tho I'm a woman, must say I agree wit you. I'm stil laughing hahahahahahah. I'm going to stop watching all these stupid shows and go back to my reading, housework and blogging. The blogging is becoming much more entertaining than most of these idiots black, white, tan, purple, etc. anyway. See I told you they never know when to get off the stage. Just like Lucy in one of her episodes. BIG FAT HAMBONE OKRA! Thunder thighs herself!

Allred Tree

Hey Oprah hope you're not crying too much about not going to the wedding. A little birdie might come along and land on that nice big lower pouty lip of yours and go pooty all over those nice clothes you wear on those humongous thighs. Oh well, the thighs go with the rest of you so at least you are not out of proportion.
And I hope how Kirstie realises what a fool you made of her just like you did the man who wrote that book.

Helene White

This has nothing to do with the current commentary. There are those of us who admire and respect Oprah and there are those who, for whatever reason, resent her. She does wonderful things with her resources, and I suspect some are simply jealous of her rags to riches success. Get over it!
Now, what I'm wondering is if anyone has a clue as to why Whoopie Goldberg was left out of Oprah's "Legends" celebrations. Considering all of Whoopie's accomplishments from her, also humble beginnings, I was really puzzled. There were many there who haven't done as much, or won as many awards as Whoopie???? Any ideas? Helene

Nikki

Wow..what a racist comment. And I guess no one is going to make a big deal about it because she's black.
But anyway, I don't care for her show, it has no substance. She is usually talking about crazy white people or showing off her celebrity friends.

Maureen

Dear Oprah,
YOU KNOW YOU HAVE MADE THESE "WHITE FOLKS" MAD. But I hear you and I can laugh with you. I know where you are comming from. My poor old 101 year old grandmother who has passed away would be shaking her finger at you for mocking her generation, but I can truly laugh with you. i love you Oprah. Keep up the good fight.

Brad

I have to say I'm not to crazy of her making the comments on her having white people working for her! If the tables were turned and she were white, would it be ok for her to be making comments about having a predominantly black staff and being proud of that? For some reason though there seems to be a double-standard here because of her race and her financial status. She can say and do whatever she wants to because of her race and the fact that she is wealthy. I'd like to see President Bush get up and say that he has a large black staff and that he is proud of that, and see how the public appreciates hearing that! There would be absolutely no difference, but rest assured that would make the front page of the morning news.

Oprah is a self-righteous hypocrite who apparently needs to take a look in mirror.

Jax

LOL @ the big O not getting an invite to tom an katie's wedding!! LMMFAO!!!
Guess those white folks don't want nonya "KIND" there? see, I have to apologize for I really stooped to o's level...yes I am an educated woman, mother, wife, daughter and sister. However, am I to say that I was offended? no. its a typical response from a black person...forever the white americans will be blamed for the slavery....BLAH. get over it already!
(waves to all the kind folk )

SAL

It seems the TMZ post gave loads of resentful people ammo to blast Oprah. The venom in these posts is really ugly. I have to say that I find both Oprah and these ignorant bloggers distasteful. Also, do you really think African Americans should "get over" slavery when so many doors are still closed? It's OK for you to boast about your confederate past and still reminisce about those glory days (and keep them alive in today's supposedly egalitarian society), but African Americans are supposed to keep their heads down and be grateful for a society that is still overtly prejudiced. As for Oprah, you hurt everyone with your insecurities.

jax

It's funny how "white privelege" blinds many from the daily lifes of people not like them. With all of the discrimination that goes on everyday, everywhere and with all kinds of people.. you really see the true "colors" of the writers who choose to act as if Oprah is has made such a huge mistake. She comes from a perspective, where if she wasn't rich and famous, half of these writers would treat her like crap. Look at yourselves, try to be good, fair people. Pursue happiness, and live by the American ideals. Instead of being anger, bitter and judgemental and jealous. It's very ugly, no matter what your race or who you are.

Mike

I stopped ever listening to Oprah many years ago. She had the comedian Chris Rock on her program for two days of interview. A white female guest asked Chris why it was ok for a black comedian to use the 'N' word in their acts, while it was considered harsh, obscene, and rude if a white (or other nationality) comedian did the same. Before Mr Rock ever had a chance to respond Oprah went into a speil about 400 years of slavery and such, and that the black man 'earned' the right. To me, if the word 'nigger' is offensive to the black population of this country, it should be so whether or not it's said by a white, black, hispanic, or any other nationality of person. Seems to me a bit of reverse bigotry going on. Now we hear she'll only hire whites to work 'for' her? To be 'under' her employ?? Cept of course for the few 'token' minorities, ie: blacks. Now tell me this isn't reverse discrimination at it's utmost!

Melody Kelley

This country is truly sad! I read nearly all the comments, and onlyl #14 makes any sense whatsoever! Sometimes race is relevant to the topic at hand. The problem is that white people want to deny what happened in the past and blind themselves to what is going on now! Oprah was noting how ironic it is that white people now work for her, something her Grandma couldn't have imagined. She wasn't stating that she purposefully employs white people to treat them as slaves. They will tell you that she is the BEST employer around.

I am white, but I have to say that I believe that most whites are racist toward black people. Yes, some blacks are racist also, but not nearly to the degree that white people are. Because I have a southern accent, I have had racist white people tell my all sorts of abhorrent things because they assume that I agree with them.
I cannot believe that someone wrote that Oprah's comments are worse than John Rocker. Rocker obviously couldn't stand to ride the subway with people of diffferent races. Oprah works and socializes with people of various races everyday. Open your hearts and minds, America. Most of the people on this blog want to jump on Oprah for no reason, other than latent racism.

Previous 15 Comments | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments