Exclusive: Horrifying Death of Reality Star's Baby

9/26/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joseph SimmonsA rapper's wife gave birth Thursday, but the scene quickly turned to tragedy after their newborn girl was pronounced dead.

Rev. Run, a.k.a. Joseph Simmons, shocked fans last year when he announced that his wife Justine was pregnant on his MTV reality show "Run's House."

Justine's pregnancy was the cliffhanger on the MTV show last season. It generated intense interest among viewers who have been anxiously following the pregnancy and awaiting the birth.

Simmons, a member of the legendary rap group Run-DMC, was at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ Tuesday for the birth of his child. Doctors delivered the baby via c-section, revealing a cruel twist of fate -- the baby girl was born with organs outside the body. The newborn died a short time later.

TMZ has learned that MTV cameras were inside the hospital at the time of the birth, though we do not know if they were in the delivery room.

Kim

Your show has been all the things we need in this life, laughter, family, friendship and unfortunately sadness. I wish I had words to express my sadness. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I only wish I was able to end this message with the heartwarming words the Rev Run does as each of his episodes ends. They warm my heart and bring tears to my eyes. I love you and will keep you all in my prayers.

Aspirtual friend

I attend church with the Simmon's and I know they were looking forward to welcoming this new child into their loving extended family. This family has strong faith and I know their beliefs will get them through this. My heart goes out to them.

purrfect

This type of thing does show up on ultrasound. So, either they are sick people that used the pregnancy for ratings, claiming they "didn't know" or they had a very bad med student do ultrasounds which I find hard to believe.

Ultrasounds are so good now that you can perform fetal echocardiography (you can look at all the areas of an unborn babies heart) so they most definitly would have found organs outside of a fetus's body.

Jessica

This is the saddest news I have rad in a long.My heart and prayers go out to the whole family.God Bless there baby girl.

Jessica

Katrina

God be with this family during this heart breaking times. I will be praying for the family..

Lynn

I am truly sorry for you incredible loss. I hope that God gives you the strength to make it through this unthinkable tragedy.

Tony

My condolences to the Simmons' family. I must admit I don't have Foxtel here in Perth, Western Australia to be able to watch the show but reading the comments already on here, I now wish that I did. My heart goes out to Rev and Justine and I know that your little baby is up in heaven smiling down on you. God bless the both of you and your family.

From the Becvarovski family.

Lisa

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am praying for you and I know you guys will overcome this sadness.

Human Being

ANY death of any person is tragic, but a baby is just heartbreaking. Let these people NOT be stars for a while, and let them be humans who are suffering a horror in their lives.

Robert

I send my condolences to the Simmons Family. I've been following both the careers of Rev Run and Run DMC for a long time (Since I was a kid). Musically Rev and Run DMC were like my older brothers who were allowed to stay out late, but always kept me informed on what was going on while I wasnt there.
In his darkest hour , I hope the whole crew knows that all the fans are 100% there for moral and spiritual support. I have a one year old and couldnt imagine what I'd do if this happened to me.
Keep strong Simmons Family, our prayers are with you.

tina

so sorry for them, my prayers and thoughts go out to them at this tragic time,

Natalia

I never watched this, I remembered Run DMC in the 80s I was a fan then but I had lost interest. Despite that, regardless of who what when or where its a tragic loss and I feel for them. My thoughts and prayers go out its an extremely sad moment but I know from what I remember of this band and Rev. Run, hes a strong soul and he and his lovely wife will come through this.

As for the ultrasound, as someone who had a family memeber suffer through the same exact thing, I can tell you no. Depending on the machines used for the ultrasound sometimes you can not tell. My cousin lost her baby years ago due to the same thing and they did not realize this. The ultra sound is somewhat like an xray machine so it will appear as if the organs are in fact outside the body either way (hence the reason in the pics you cansee the heart beating, the stomache, etc.) The placenta was most likely keeping the baby in decent health the whole time

I suppose we will find out eventually if the MTV cameras were in the room but I seriously do not believe that they knew this ahead of time. Luckily Justine is ok physically. if they knew ahead of time they would have taken the baby out earlier for the sake of her health, god forbid the babys liver ruptured, it could have caused Justine serious physical damage. Doctors wouldnt have left the baby in their had they known.

Again my heart goes out to the family.

Billie

This is so sad. My heart goes out to them. You could see how badly Justine wanted a baby girl. With God's help, Rev Run will get his family through this tragedy. Bless them all.

melinda montgomery

i'm truly sadden by the news of the simmons family my praise go out to the family may bless u and keep u in his ever lastin arm and keep u strong threw this time of lost.